Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows vista help..

Options
  • 05-05-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

lads a mate of mine has an old Dell inspiron 1525...Intel celeron cpu..
    With windows vista home basic...
    I want to copy all his data for him and then do a clean install of vista..
    I have the product key but no cd....
    What would be the best and easiest way for me to get my hands on a copy and install it using the product key for his laptop?

many thanks
    Dwighet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

A minute ago I had written an answer which basically said "Get it from wherever you want, as long as you have the product key then it doesn't matter where you get it from...", but after reading this post I'm not sure that what I was going to say is correct or not...

I genuinely thought that as long as you had a valid product key that it didn't make any difference where you got it from, i.e. from a torrent service or a file sharing service etc., so maybe someone could offer some clarification on the issue before I inadvertantly thrust this thread into the realms of the illegal...

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Ronan H wrote: »
    A minute ago I had written an answer which basically said "Get it from wherever you want, as long as you have the product key then it doesn't matter where you get it from...", but after reading this post I'm not sure that what I was going to say is correct or not...

I genuinely thought that as long as you had a valid product key that it didn't make any difference where you got it from, i.e. from a torrent service or a file sharing service etc., so maybe someone could offer some clarification on the issue before I inadvertantly thrust this thread into the realms of the illegal...

Ro

I hear what your saying...Its easy enought o get a copy from" it cant be mentioned here" but would rather do it the right way but im not forking any coin out for it..if you know what i mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I totally know what you mean, it's mad that someone should have to pay for an installation file for a product which they own the license for (and have paid for said license).

Surely it has to be possible for someone with a license to get the software somewhere for free, and legally. I'm sure there has to be, it wouldn't make sense if there isn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Vista is a bit trickier than windows 7, but its still doable. You need to download each of these files and put them all in the same folder. Then run the .exe and follow the instructions:

X14-63453.exe
    boot.wim
    install.wim

Note all these files are from Digital River which is the official microsoft distribution site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

deconduo wrote: »
    Vista is a bit trickier than windows 7, but its still doable. You need to download each of these files and put them all in the same folder. Then run the .exe and follow the instructions:

X14-63453.exe
    boot.wim
    install.wim

Note all these files are from Digital River which is the official microsoft distribution site.

good man yourself...will give that a go

• Advertisement
Advertisement