Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being born in Ireland is like winning the lottery of life.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

1 euro cans of carling.
    That reminds me late breckfast time

If you arent an alcoholic drinker then your screwed in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

Great food.
    Great women.
    Great scenery.
    Great craic.
    Great pubs.
    Great sport.
    Great weather,sometimes.

Talifornia,breakfast roles,Rock of Cashel,boards.ie,dublin,Robbie Keane etc etc.

Economy is great,188 a week dole,single mothers living like princesses,aldi 39 cent veg,1 euro cans of carling.

This is the greatest nation on the planet.

I see the anti depressants have kicked in nicely, what brand are they ? They seem to be really good man.
    In fairness you have the perfect short term solution.
    Drug/trick yourself into delusion. Ignorance is bliss man.

Unfortunately, I'm of the school that to ever hope to fix the problems in this country, you first have to expose and admit to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

Nowhere do you get such bleedin craic!

What drugs are you on ?
    I prefer clean crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

Shryke wrote: »
    Social culture is awful. Anyone that argues that it isn't all bloody drinking all the time is deluded and the weather is so consistently miserable most outdoor activities need a coat and wellies half the time.

Truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

1 euro for a can of beer? Jesus Christ, you're being screwed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    Actually:

You need to read the entire thread before you cast asparagus.

I had already accepted someones else's opinion and adjusted my own in accordance ... see below.

Keane? I was too decent to him. Barely a 3! The Irish squad never performs when they rely on him.

So Irish women are now a 4 Imo. see above! (I agreed!!)

I will actually will and do argue that to their face ... nothing anything to do with the internet. But then ... I'm not as terrified of Irish 'wimmen' as Irish 'wimmen' would like to think I should be!

However .... maybe I WAS too optimistic about Irish weather!

I supposed you've watched one Ireland national game then yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the only country where being on the dole is treated like a crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

St.Spodo wrote: »
    In terms of the world on the whole, the OP has a fair point.

As a foreigner, I would love to be born as Irish. Some people really don't see how good they have it here even in ressetion times, compared with the rest of the world.

Where I came from I could not even dream of living the way I live here. And my weekly wages would be one of the most lowest in boards.ie. it's do low that it would even make it way more profitable for me to go on dole and sit at home with more money left over after bills are payed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

This is the greatest nation on the planet.
    <Sigh....> :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I think we could do with a good world war, that would put some perspective on how good we have it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Shryke wrote: »
    Social culture is awful. Anyone that argues that it isn't all bloody drinking all the time is deluded and the weather is so consistently miserable most outdoor activities need a coat and wellies half the time.
    The best I can get out and do where I am is going for a run on the side of the road getting soaked with nosy neighbors faces pressed against their front windows.

The weather is crap. Grey, mild, damp, rain, bit of a chill wind, more rain. Dull and depressing.

Social Welfare is good, not great. The price of things is ****ing shocking. 188 a week? After any rent/bills/food that's nothing. And if you have a car forget it! Welfare is high because the cost of things is obscene. That's without needing to cloth yourself or look after any medical bills or replacing anything that might break or need repair.

Pedo priests and corrupt politicians. The economy in a train wreck. No jobs. Austerity and more austerity to come.

I don't need to be in Ireland to go on Boards...

Breakfast Rolls are greasy poison.

Saying things are worse elsewhere doesn't mean they are good here. It's a spineless argument. The only way things change or get better is if people see a need for change. "It'll be grand", If you don't like it go somewhere else and the like are why we're a mess and don't deserve better as a nation.

Also, ARGH. I didn't mean to rail off but hey why not it's AH.
    About the only reasonable Ireland bashing post I've read here to be fair. You make very valid points. I guess it depends where you are in Ireland - some parts are pretty grim all right. While it's depressing what some priests and politicians got away with, at least this society is a lot more open today. There are jobs but obviously there are so many people applying that it's quite the lottery. Weather - it's been especially sh1t since winter, and last summer was a total fail. Those have been (hopefully) an exception though - the climate is pretty moderate and mild, if lacking in sun.

I know what you're saying about the "at least you're not in wherever" line but some people need a bit of perspective - they go on about Ireland as if it's an horrific, terrifying place to live. Life here in general is very easy in fairness. The economic fallout and corrupt politicians were partly created by ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Great food.
    Great women.
    Great scenery.
    Great craic.
    Great pubs.
    Great sport.
    Great weather,sometimes.

Love how you stuck women in there as though they were amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Climb down out of your tower and take a compliment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Given the choice I'd say I'd prefer to be from somewhere else in Europe (like Scandinavia, Germany or the Benelux) but overall I'd say Ireland's a damn good place to be from.

Think of all the places out there like Somalia (starvation and Sharia law), Iraq (risk getting blown up walking to the shops) or Saudi Arabia (44 degree heat and the constant sound of oppression in the air) and you should be pretty glad you ended up as a Paddy. Ireland's got it's problems but overall you could be doing a lot worse.

Besides, it's pretty simple to fuck off somewhere else if you really can't stand the place.

• Advertisement

Way better quality services etc in Scandinavia and Germany for sure, but I'd prefer to be from Ireland for the sense of humour alone. If I had to choose another country to be from, it would be Britain.

Better than the usual sh1t though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

This is the part where Omar tells us he's actually a refugee from Darfur, and we all finally understand why he's so happy to be here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

could be worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

so funny internet dorks judging irish girls as 4/10...oh ye I forgot you must get all them 8/10 brazilians and Swedish girls :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Way better quality services etc in Scandinavia and Germany for sure, but I'd prefer to be from Ireland for the sense of humour alone. If I had to choose another country to be from, it would be Britain.

On top of the better services I think it's the open-mindedness, more liberal attitude towards life and more focused attitude towards work (that generally tends to come from those countries) that makes me wish I was from there. Also I'd speak English but would also be fluent in my country's native tongue, which would make a nice change.

I would like to keep the Irish sense of humour alright. I'd be the type of German person who likes to make Holocaust jokes!

I would like to keep the Irish sense of humour alright. I'd be the type of German person who likes to make Holocaust jokes!
    Oh trust me, plenty Irish people make them too.
    A guy in my year discovered I'm Jewish and he was like "Hold on, hold on.... I've got some good jokes!!"
    "... yeah, I think I've heard them already..."
    "No no, they're really funny!! Hope you don't offend easy, though!"
    "...??"
    Seriously- why? It's not even remotely funny. There's just an awkward moment where you have to pretend to be vaguely amused to lessen the embarrassment for both of ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I suppose we won the free €2 Scratchcard

Siuin wrote: »
    A guy in my year discovered I'm Jewish and he was like "Hold on, hold on.... I've got some good jokes!!"
    "...??"
    Seriously- why? It's not even remotely funny. There's just an awkward moment where you have to pretend to be vaguely amused to lessen the embarrassment for both of ye

Oh I'm not saying all Holocaust jokes are funny or anything (some people try way too hard), just an example of the "anything can be made funny in the right light" attitude that goes with the Irish sense of humour, which I would hope I'd still have if I wasn't Irish. (Like if I was German, for example.)

Oh I'm not saying all Holocaust jokes are funny or anything (some people try way too hard), just an example of the "anything can be made funny in the right light" attitude that goes with the Irish sense of humour, which I would hope I'd still have if I wasn't Irish. (Like if I was German, for example.)
    I don't find any holocaust jokes funny and really wouldn't be alone on that. Then again, the vast majority of Irish people aren't around people who have lost family members to it on an almost daily basis. I lived with a guy for a whole year who could hardly go one conversation without making a completely inappropriate Jewish joke, so forgive me if I have zero tolerance for it anymore. Some Irish people can be completely tactless when it comes to this and it's extremely frustrating. Not everything is funny and not everything is open to being joked about. I love the Irish sense of humour, but not when people are simply being stupid about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

why is everybody leaving....???

I don't find any holocaust jokes funny and really wouldn't be alone on that. Then again, the vast majority of Irish people aren't around people who have lost family members to it on an almost daily basis. I lived with a guy for a whole year who could hardly go one conversation without making a completely inappropriate Jewish joke, so forgive me if I have zero tolerance for it anymore. Some Irish people can be completely tactless when it comes to this and it's extremely frustrating. Not everything is funny and not everything is open to being joked about. I love the Irish sense of humour, but not when people are simply being stupid about it.

*shrug* Maybe it was a bad example to pick. Like I wouldn't say I'm completely tactless either; I wouldn't say anything to intentionally offend someone that I knew would strike a nerve.

I can feel myself talking myself into a big hole here, so let's just say I do like the Irish sense of humour too. Maybe "making light-hearted fun at people" would have been a better aspect to pick than "making jokes about absolutely anything".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

If you arent an alcoholic drinker then your screwed in Ireland.

Bullshít. Today you could have: visited a free museum, gone for a coffee or lunch, played in one of hundreds of sporting teams competing at different levels across dozen of sports, gone for a walk, a hike in the hills. You could have gone to a book club, cycled, plan to go to a gig/comedy club/theatre. And you could have done this in one of the safest and most affluent countries in the world.

The vast majority of the people on this planet would love to have the opportunities and live-style that is afforded to you by the sheer luck of having being born here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

why is everybody leaving....???

DEY TURK ER JURBS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I heard funderland is the place to live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    Out of 10.

Great women. 5
    Great scenery. 9
    Great craic. 7
    Great pubs. 5
    Great sport. 8
    Great weather. 8

Better not let you're girlfriend see that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Yakult wrote: »
    Thats about it.

Spot on.

Anything other than this is pure delusion.

Or a difference of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Or a difference of opinion.

That's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

"...??"

*Jesus, get over it. Ive some deadly holocaust and famine jokes. Wanna hear them?:pac:

*Yas killed him!

i love being a dub!

Gods chosen few!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Ireland is a fantastic country. I'm far from the most positive person in the world, but even I can see it is a blessing to live here.

IrishAm wrote: »
    *Jesus, get over it. Ive some deadly holocaust and famine jokes. Wanna hear them?:pac:

*Yas killed him!
    Yeaaaah :rolleyes:
    *tumbleweed*

Yeaaaah :rolleyes:
    *tumbleweed*

Why so serious?:confused:

• Advertisement

*shrug* Maybe it was a bad example to pick. Like I wouldn't say I'm completely tactless either; I wouldn't say anything to intentionally offend someone that I knew would strike a nerve.

I can feel myself talking myself into a big hole here, so let's just say I do like the Irish sense of humour too. Maybe "making light-hearted fun at people" would have been a better aspect to pick than "making jokes about absolutely anything".
    Yeah humour is subjective but you gotta choose your audience. And there's a big difference between a witty, sharp, but not meanspirited joke in relation to a sensitive topic, and merely trying to offend/upset.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Why so serious?:confused:
    Why so not funny? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Had the potential to be a great country, ruined by ****e politicians and greedy bankers. We do have Superquinn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

breakfast roles
    I generally play 'The Eater'; what others are available?

The server ;)

Yeah humour is subjective but you gotta choose your audience. And there's a big difference between a witty, sharp, but not meanspirited joke in relation to a sensitive topic, and merely trying to offend/upset.
    Absolutely. And I hope I din't come off as tactless braying moron earlier. This is why I shouldn't be allowed on the internet after beers....

You could be the breakfast roll, I guess....not a very pleasant role to play unless you're seriously masochistic.

• Advertisement

I hope I din't come off as tactless braying moron earlier.
    Not at all. I meant in general anyway, wasn't aiming at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Ireland is a great place. I used to be mad keen to get out and see other countries. I've now traveled and worked/lived abroad, the more I've seen of the world the more I realise just how beautiful Ireland is, both the place and the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

breakfast roles

Theres multiple roles,you can be the sausage,egg etc,they all have their own story to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hibernianeggs

Is anybody offended by famine jokes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

People will always find a reason to complain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement