Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First run :)

Options
  • 05-05-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Woke up this morning and decided I would run 10k for the first time.

I dont it in 61m 50s on my tredmill.

Feels good to have done a 10k but I know this time is probably wildly out of any acceptable range of a decent run.

What times should I be looking at? im 20, Never done any distance running in my life.

Used to play a bitta soccer and were sent on 12 minute sprints but like there was no distance recorded or anything like that.

I have always been interested in running so I figured if I do something I have always had interest in and have come to like, maybe I could do some charity runs, In my line of work I have seen what CF does to people and families so I would like to eat a 10k race someday and earn a bit of paper for Cystic Fibrosis.

I just have no idea of what times to look at or anything.

Thanks in advance,
    Gary:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats not a bad start, especially on a dreadmill (hate spending time on them).

How good is your time? Well, its a personal thing, but as youre just starting, like I said its not bad. A bit of work would see it dropping rapidly. I havent a clue what your potential is like, and it depends on how much work you are willing to put into it. A decent club runner would go sub 40 mins, a very good club runner who places in a race could run half your time so it varies a lot.

Running it non stop is the first hurdle and youve done that. Now, get outside and run on the road. Vary your workout between long and short runs, easy and harder effort. Make sure you have good shoes, fitted properly for your gait. Happy running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've seen the couch to 5k program mentioned on this board a few times:
    http://www.c25k.com/

Might be useful to ya.

I'd recommend building up your time and distance gradually. Read up about stretching and maybe footwear. I got a gait analysis done recently but I dunno if it's something all runners need/should get done.

Someone recently mentioned a 10% rule to me but I dunno if it's some convention or not. Basically, if you are gonna push it, go 2 days at one level before increasing and then only increase at by 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Slydice wrote: »
    I've seen the couch to 5k program mentioned on this board a few times:
    http://www.c25k.com/

Might be useful to ya.
    OP has just ran 10k on their first run. Why would they want to do couch to 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

menoscemo wrote: »
    OP has just ran 10k on their first run. Why would they want to do couch to 5k?

Well, I have knee pain from running and I put it down to not being careful enough while getting into running. I made a guess based on the very amateurish knowledge I have that a structured program like the couch to 5k might help get the op experience about how to get on well with running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Well, I have knee pain from running and I put it down to not being careful enough while getting into running. I made a guess based on the very amateurish knowledge I have that a structured program like the couch to 5k might help get the op experience about how to get on well with running.

"Used to play a bitta soccer and were sent on 12 minute sprints but like there was no distance recorded or anything like that." Might be a good idea to do a 5k race so you have data to work on. If your 5K time is good then go for 10K, if not then do a 5K program. As you are able to do 12 mins sprints recently you should be fine for a 5K. It will give people a better assessment of your current status and be able to give relevant advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Couch 2 5k programme has a goal of getting someone to run 5k in 30 minutes. If he/she can already run 10k in 62 minutes then he/she is already above the level that C25k hopes to achieve. In all serious respect, if you don't know what you are talking about, better to offer no advice than to offer silly adive.

OP, it really depends what your goal is. Maybe you want to run furhter? Maybe you want to run faster?. I would advise you sign yourself up for a race of whatever distance, train for it for a few motnhs and try to go as fast as you can over that distance. There are training plans for various distances here: http://www.halhigdon.com/

Best of luck.

Advertisement