Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restaurant serving best pizza in the city??

Options
  • 05-05-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭

so where can you get a decent pizza in cork city these days,.. in a restaurant, not take away…?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not a restaurant as such, but you can sit down in there. Novecento on Douglas Street. Best Pizza I've had since Turin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Sober Lane, hands down better than any Italian in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dermighty wrote: »
    Sober Lane, hands down better than any Italian in the city.

Sober Lane pizza is pretty good alright. Petes Pizzeria is lovely also - only had it once but it was nom! But then that's more a takeaway too.

Apparently the pizzas in Il Padrino are meant to be pretty nice. I love that place but always get a pasta dish - nom nom:D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

La dolce vita has very nice pizzas, novecento is really nice but expensive. Sober lane is good, but not really as a restaurant, but I love their pizza and a pitcher deal for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I quite like uncle pete's for pizza, now that's strictly take out obviously unless you go visit the bierhalle that just opened up next door (erh, just? possibly like 6 months ago!), tied to the pub nextdoor.

They got good beer, a good menu themselves and uncle pete's pizza for those so inclined. :D

Now I want hallumi salad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

calnand wrote: »
    La dolce vita has very nice pizzas, novecento is really nice but expensive. Sober lane is good, but not really as a restaurant, but I love their pizza and a pitcher deal for €20.

La Dolce Vita is good

Novecento is the best - no arguement (it aint expensive at all!)

Sober Lane is a smelly ol place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭sporina

never been to novecento… can you sit down in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

An Italian friend of mine went to Pizza d'Italia before because he thought the pizza would be just like home. he got an awful surprise though :D

i still like their pizzas as fast food.

An Italian friend of mine went to Pizza d'Italia before because he thought the pizza would be just like home. he got an awful surprise though :D

i still like their pizzas as fast food.

OMG I was brought there by a friend yearsssssss ago and it was not good. I do not remember the specifics but I do remember thinking that the pizza was very "eggy"? I remember thinking "do i have to eat this?". I did not want to be so obviously disgusted in front of my friend who was taking me out.

pity it did not put me off pizza though. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

sporina wrote: »
    never been to novecento… can you sit down in there?

Yes, you can sit down in Novecento. I don't think it's the nicest sit-down place but their pizzas are amazing - the best in Cork in my opinion, and they do really tasty tapas too. Staff are pure sound in there which makes a difference.

You can order from the lovely Uncle Pete's menu in the Bierhalle, and it's a grand spot as you will see from the Bierhalle thread. You can also order their pizza in the Bierhaus - a pitcher and a pizza for 20 quid I think. Delicious.

Pizzas in Scoozi's and Pizza d'Italia were manky in my experience. Stodgey.

I got lovely pizza in the Franciscan Well a couple of times. They have a pizza oven out the back which they fire up on occasion.

I've also enjoyed Milano's pizzas every time I go in there (Oliver Plunkett St.) They do one with the middle cut out and a rocket salad placed in the centre that's very nice.

All this talk of pizza, now I'm going to have to go get it for dinner tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Go to Casa Roma and you can get the genuine Italian experience of being shouted at :pac:

But the best I've come across is Sober Lane, though I have heard the one on Douglas Street is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

Agree with this - DEFINITELY my favourite pizza in Cork!
    nerwen wrote: »
    I quite like uncle pete's for pizza, now that's strictly take out obviously unless you go visit the bierhalle that just opened up next door (erh, just? possibly like 6 months ago!), tied to the pub nextdoor.

They got good beer, a good menu themselves and uncle pete's pizza for those so inclined. :D

Now I want hallumi salad.

i actually had the pizza in sober lane and felt it very heavy - but maybe I made a bad choice.. i had the one with apple and black pudding on it (was sharing with someone who wanted it so i obliged).. was not for me

must try a different one soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Sober lane is lovely for pizza and wine but it does stink a bit in there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I had a pizza in Luigis recently and was very pleasantly surprised. Very nice crispy base and not soggy in the middle at all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Pizza d'Italia. Been going there for about 20 years. Capricosa beats any pizza in town. But for Cork, that ain't saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Noticed that Uncle Pete's are opening in the city centre - Paul Street where Ketchup/Bullys used to be. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got a takeaway from La Tana the other night. Fantastic stuff.

Uncle Petes opening in the City Centre would be class if it is as a proper sit down restaurant.

gimmick wrote: »
    Uncle Petes opening in the City Centre would be class if it is as a proper sit down restaurant.

It seems to be - they were working on it the other evening as I passed by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sero0128

I like pizza from Pizza hut.....

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    Noticed that Uncle Pete's are opening in the city centre - Paul Street where Ketchup/Bullys used to be. Nice.

yeah i heard a rumour of this last year. Deadly - in a good and bad way - my hips will not like it. lol.
    But yeah it will be great.
    The bierhalle will go into ruination me thinks - and a lot of other pizza places will have to up their game or else.

Mind you, the last pizza I got from pete's was awful - but that was a once off I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

gimmick wrote: »
    Got a takeaway from La Tana the other night. Fantastic stuff.

RIP The owner,passed away recently I heard.

Gino's is number one IMO.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    RIP The owner,passed away recently I heard.

the owner of which? 2 places are mentioned..

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I got a ham and mushroom in La Tana last year and it was savage altogether and just under a tenner.

sporina wrote: »
    the owner of which? 2 places are mentioned..
    La Tana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

IMHO there are two vastly different types of pizza that can be got in Cork city (Or Ireland/UK in general)...

The type that seems to suit a lot of Irish / UK people, which have thick bases and heaps of stuff on top. These will be got in the likes of Pizza Hut, Ginos, Pizza D'Italia... they can taste very good indeed, but I don't regard them as a good pizza!

A good pizza for me, are the types that make an effort to replicate that real pizza that you get in Italy... thin crispy base, not too much toppings and cooked in brick oven. Novecento being the best I've had in Cork, but La Tana also very good, as are La Dolce Vita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

evilivor wrote: »

I liked to occasionally go to Ketchup after work for dinner, especially if I was doing late night shopping, as it was very laid-back and central so perfect for that purpose. Got the shock of my life last Friday when I got there to see it gone, having only been in there about a week before that! :eek:

Not keen on Uncle Pete's, so I hope some of the Ketchup food remains!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

As far as I heard Uncle Petes were already part owner (or some sort of partner anyway) in Ketchup and they'll be keeping on the basic menu and just adding on pizza to it. Sit in and take out I'd guess from the look of it. Oh those hips. ;)

• Advertisement

nerwen wrote: »
    As far as I heard Uncle Petes were already part owner (or some sort of partner anyway) in Ketchup and they'll be keeping on the basic menu and just adding on pizza to it. Sit in and take out I'd guess from the look of it. Oh those hips. ;)

It always said Uncle Petes on the credit card statement from Ketchup so I presume they were always involved.

Advertisement