Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I continue to attend school?

• 05-05-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

About a week ago I was advised by a doctor to keep my schooling for the rest of the year at minimum. I would only come in for a class or two every now and again.

The problem is that I heard several teachers saying that the last few weeks of sixth year are very important because you are getting vital information for the exam. So my question is, am I being a complete idiot in missing classes? Am I actually in danger of losing points I could have got if I stayed in school?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Beware wrote: »
    About a week ago I was advised by a doctor to keep my schooling for the rest of the year at minimum. I would only come in for a class or two every now and again.

The problem is that I heard several teachers saying that the last few weeks of sixth year are very important because you are getting vital information for the exam. So my question is, am I being a complete idiot in missing classes? Am I actually in danger of losing points I could have got if I stayed in school?
    Honestly, it depends on what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

It depends on your health

If you were to come in and your health problem worsened than you would lose points as you would be sick during your exams.

I would think that being sick during the exams would cost you more points than missing the next 2/3 weeks.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it's affecting your health to be there, of course you should stay away.

There is nothing magical about the last few weeks. Teachers have no insider knowledge that makes any of their predictions 'reliable'. People in hindsight feel they get lots done in the last few weeks because the mind is concentrated marvellously by the proximity of the exam and also because in some schools, it tends to be the time the dossers stay out and you're left with people who want to work.

Your health is the important thing here, even to the extent of leaving the whole circus of the LC for another year, if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

Gumbi wrote: »
    Honestly, it depends on what the problem is.
    It depends on your health

If you were to come in and your health problem worsened than you would lose points as you would be sick during your exams.

I would think that being sick during the exams would cost you more points than missing the next 2/3 weeks.:)
    spurious wrote: »
    If it's affecting your health to be there, of course you should stay away.

There is nothing magical about the last few weeks. Teachers have no insider knowledge that makes any of their predictions 'reliable'. People in hindsight feel they get lots done in the last few weeks because the mind is concentrated marvellously by the proximity of the exam and also because in some schools, it tends to be the time the dossers stay out and you're left with people who want to work.

Your health is the important thing here, even to the extent of leaving the whole circus of the LC for another year, if needs be.

Thanks for the advice everyone :) .

What I'll probably do is just take it day by day. If I'm well enough to go to school, I'll go, otherwise I'll stay at home. And I can ask friends if the teacher told them something important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Work at home. I'm not even sick and I'm barely in atm because we're doing nothing in class. Your health during the exams is far more important than whatever tiny bit of revision you'll get done in class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Have you looked into the DARE scheme ? Possibility it may be too late to apply but may be worth a try ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'd agree with spurious. If you think it's going to affect your health stay away. (Also, don't feel obliged to discuss your health problems here. It's your business, no one else's).

I don't think the last few weeks are going to overly help you. Just make sure to study at home and know the exam papers inside out.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Work at home. I'm not even sick and I'm barely in atm because we're doing nothing in class. Your health during the exams is far more important than whatever tiny bit of revision you'll get done in class.
    Have you looked into the DARE scheme ? Possibility it may be too late to apply but may be worth a try ?
    Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I'd agree with spurious. If you think it's going to affect your health stay away. (Also, don't feel obliged to discuss your health problems here. It's your business, no one else's).

I don't think the last few weeks are going to overly help you. Just make sure to study at home and know the exam papers inside out.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was beginning to panic about missing school, so thanks again.

And I have already applied to the Dare scheme, so that's a nice parachute if I need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

If you're doing honours maths, try to make those classes. Everything else can more or less be done at home in the last few weeks.

K_1 wrote: »
    If you're doing honours maths, try to make those classes. Everything else can more or less be done at home in the last few weeks.

Thankfully, I'm not doing honours Maths! My head wouldn't be able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

I took all of may off last year and i sat an excellent lc (520) if you can study at home
    Do it you will be fine =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,627 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ALWAYS put your health first, especially when you have medical advise telling you to put your health first.

Advertisement