Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a digital timer for this kind of immersion switch?

Options
  • 05-05-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi All,

I badly need to fit a timer to this dual immersion (sink/bath) switch. My bills are ginormous. I did get an electrician/plumber in to do the job, but that didn't work out. He came three times with three different timers, none of which were suitable for this switch. I don't have the money anymore to get someone else in, so need to do it myself.

Anyway, attached are two snaps of the switch. The first is the front plate. The second is of two holes that the electrician drilled in to it the switch, which I assume the timer will be fitted via.

Can anyone tell me which timer I should buy, before doing the hard bit?

Thanks in advance,

Cali

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you should buy the timer and get an electrician to fit it

an apt timer or a digital immersion timeclock

there isn't any point in electricians giving homeowners wiring instructions really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Are you looking to remove the switch? You still need the switch for isolation reasons. Timer goes before the switch.

What sort of timer do you want?

If your bills are very high, it could be that it is heating the water too much or the stat might even be broken. Turn the stat down to 60 degrees, this will save you power. Is your tank lagged/insulated? Cause if it's not every time you heat water, it will start at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Calico101 wrote: »

I did get an electrician/plumber in to do the job, but that didn't work out. He came three times with three different timers, none of which were suitable for this switch.

An Electrician/plumber hmmm that sounds suspect already!

Any half decent electrician would know what type of clock is needed for an immersion so I dont know why he called three times with the wrong clock.

And the switch has nothing to do with what type of clock is used so that makes no sense.

unfortunately I think you are going to have to call an electrician/electrician back to do this job as I would like to think that no-one here is going to describe to you how to do it DIY style as there are some jobs only a professional should attempt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Calico101

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for the replies. I couldn't understand why it was such a problem either. Each time he came back with a different timer, and each time it was the wrong one! He's actually a plumber, and had a separate electrician with him. Guess I should have gone directly to an electrician...

If someone in the know could still tell me which timer to buy as it might save on the cost a little.

Thanks,

Calico

• Advertisement

an apt will do
    the esb website has some digital ones

times are hard but something could go wrong if you're told what to do-as you're not an electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

This the timer M cebee is talking about,simple and effective

31OuWR1gQDL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Are you looking to remove the switch? You still need the switch for isolation reasons. Timer goes before the switch.

What sort of timer do you want?

If your bills are very high, it could be that it is heating the water too much or the stat might even be broken. Turn the stat down to 60 degrees, this will save you power. Is your tank lagged/insulated? Cause if it's not every time you heat water, it will start at room temperature.

Is this stat switch accessible or do you need an electrician to adjust it, I know our immersion is too hot and often thought ur the temp could be reduced it would be great.

Thanks for any info. Clappy.

you can adjust it
    its inside cover
    switch off first

• Advertisement
Advertisement