Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Alternatives? FreeView , Soarview Anyone else?

Options
  • 05-05-2012 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello Everyone :D
    I'm looking for a SKY alternative...
    I know there is Freeview,Soarview but is there anymore?
    I lost my job so i need to come up with something that has no MONTHLY FEE. just a 1 off fee for the box.
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

TheNeeder wrote: »
    Hello Everyone :D
    I'm looking for a SKY alternative...
    I know there is Freeview,Soarview but is there anymore?
    I lost my job so i need to come up with something that has no MONTHLY FEE. just a 1 off fee for the box.
    thanks.

Freesat - owned by ITV/BBC - will give all the UK channels for free - can connect to existing Sky dish. Humax is supposed to be a good system - check amazon.co.uk (Still need a Saorview box for the Irish channels.) Some boxes allow you to record like a Sky+ box and you get a 7 day EPG.

Can you get a reception for Freeview? This the UK's equilivant of our Saorview - works thru TV aerial -I thought you could only get a Freeview reception near the border?

You could get a Triax TR114 - a Saorview approved combo box that will give you both Saorview and the UK channels - you get a 7 day EPG for the Saorview, not for the UK channels - not sure about recording - if its like the TR112 you could record on to a USB stick or an external drive. Connect to existing TV aerial and Sky dish.

EDIT: if you already have a Sky system with a Sky box, you probably already know, you can reuse that box to get FTA (Free To Air) channels. If you have one of the newer Sky+HD boxes you could get a UK FTV (Free To View) card which will put all the free UK channels on your menu for easier access. Then all you need is a Saorview box.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Does anyone know if either Aldi Lidle are doing combi box'es anytime soon.

Advertisement