Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.1 vs 2.2

Options
  • 05-05-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Would an employer be more likely to employe a graduate from a college such as ucd/trinity who got a 2.2 or a graduate from a much less reputable college with a 2.1? Most ads on grad ireland dont seem to specify a college only degree classification....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Interviews and prior work experience generally play a more important role than what university you attended in my experience unless you're dealing with pretentious douche bags.

There are exceptions sometimes eg the Harvards and Oxford's of the world but nowhere in Ireland has the class of 'name-brand' association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

It's very subjective. Obviously is you need a 2.1 to get you in the door it doesn't matter if your 2.2 is from Trinners. It's then the basic added value you bring, how you sell yourself etc. One thing that gets overlooked though is how the institution sells it self and to whom. An example would be Napier in Edinburgh - not a fantastic university in regards to ranking but massive employment of graduates because of the contacts it makes.

The other issue is the relative worth of an honours degree. Almost everyone has one in Ireland. If you've only hit the 2.2 standard it would probably be advisable to do a Masters to improve your employability. Incidentally a 2.2 from TCD/UCD opens more doors that a 2.2 for GCD/DBS and a like. A 2.1 from GCD/Indo etc. will get most on a masters with the big unis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 macattack2012

can I still get an honours degree even if I had to repeat a 4th year exam?

It depends on your institution - I'm frequently surprised at what the Universities let people away with vs the very strict rules in place for HETAC.

What are the rules.If I failed it was very close to a pass.

• Advertisement

For HETAC degrees (From a college): If you get 36-39% you can compensate by using marks from another subject. So say you got 60% and 39% instead of a 2.1 and a fail you can have a 2.2 and a pass.

If you have to resit you are capped at 40% on that subject for HETAC degrees - basically one bite at the cherry for an honours. That said I have no idea how it works for other institutions.

You'll also have to look at what subjects go towards your degree. Some places only take the final year, some take best two years out of three etc.

If you've had crappy marks - get the degree passed - get on a masters and do more study. That is always helped by doing what you want to do, rather than what you think might be a good career. So many people underperform because they don't like what they do.

All the subjects contribute to the level of degree.It is a level 8 add on degree so it only my marks from this year that will count.So are you saying that if I did not pass it the first time I can not get a 2.2 for example.

I can only comment on my HETAC Level 8 LL.B. If any subjects that are failed then they are capped at 40%.

For simplicity sake lets look at 4 subjects on a one year degree.

33% Subject 1 Fail
    45% Subject 2 Pass
    55% Subject 3 2.2
    65% Subject 4 2.1

Subject 1 is resat and you get 70% a first. However it was a resit so capped at 40% so;

40% Subject 1 Capped Resit Pass
    45% Subject 2 Pass
    55% Subject 3 2.2
    65% Subject 4 2.1
    205 / 4 = 51.25% or a 2.2

If you were very close then you can compensate

37% Subject 1 Fail (But compensable)
    45% Subject 2 Pass
    55% Subject 3 2.2
    65% Subject 4 2.1
    202 / 4 = 50.25% or a 2.2

great,thank for clearing that up

Might be very different for you! Check with your college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

205 / 4 = 41.25% or a 2.2

Minor correction: that's 51.25%.

Advertisement