Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought Aardvark was supposed to keep the spam out of the Anime & Manga forum?

Options
  • 05-05-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

So what up?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Numina wrote: »
    So what up?

Wassssssssssuuuuuuuuuuup :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thread moved to Feedback. Probably get some better responses here :)

A&M was never the only forum to get hit by spammers on a regular basis - the forums listed after received a fair amount of abuse too. Aardvark wasn't designed to catch all spammers (as they don't just target the 1st forum) but just to reduce the spam hitting other forums afaik.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's pretty much what Konata has said, Aardvark is purely there to reduce the amount of spam hitting real forums, but it will never completely eliminate it. Just to give you an idea of how successful Aardvark has been, there have been over 3,800 threads started in the forum by spammers, all of which have been deleted and the posters site-banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Would a second Aardvark cut out the overspill hitting A&M and American Football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to point out Musicals gets a fair chunk of spam too, and we're way down the list compared to A&M or even American Football. You'll always get some spam that's just targeted to specific forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

MugMugs wrote: »
    Would a second Aardvark cut out the overspill hitting A&M and American Football?

The reason A&M, Art & Architecture and Arts & Crafts get hit so badly is because they're first alphabetically in the category that's first alphabetically. Basically the bots just hit the first forums they encounter. As star-pants mentioned, Musicals also gets hit, along with just about every other forum in Arts. AF suffers to a point for the same reason, but as I mentioned on the other thread, what hits there is a very small fraction of what the forums in the Arts category get hit with.

As for a second Aardvark forum, tbh I don't think it would serve any useful purpose. You can only have one forum that's first alphabetically, and most spammers will probably still post in other forums anyway. Aardvark serves a useful function, but regardless of how many Aardvark forums we had we'd still end up with loads of spam in A&M and the other Arts forums. Some day I'm sure the tech guys will come up with a more elegant solution for us, but for the meantime the Spammer thread in Feedback is as good as anything we've got.

Advertisement