Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Vancouver accommodation advice? (1 year visa)

Options
  • 05-05-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey guys. Planing on going to Vancouver for a 1 year, next year.
    Probably going alone, so wondering what my best option is for living arrangements. am i best to try to find digs with someone? how much would we be talking per month for a nice location? are 1 bedroom apartments too expensive? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Anyone recommend any area's close to train/bus routes to city centre?
    Can I jump in here with a few questions too....

What are the lease contracts usaully like? Can you get month to month contracts or 6month ones?

Also is it more diffidult for a couple to find a place?

What about jobs? Anyone recommend any recruitment agencies or job sites?

I know its lazy to ask here but I am also Googling and would like to hear any other irish persons experience or recommendations or criticisms.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

From what I've read on various blogs. most of the time it's a 12Month Contract.

Rent is due at the end/start of the month so its best to go in the middle of the month, this give you ~2 weeks to find accomodation before the next 'rent cycle' starts.

Most rentals in Vancouver are unfurnished and come with 12 month leases.

Royal LePage estimated the monthly rental prices for standard condominium apartments were:

$900 in the North Delta; $900 in Surrey; and $1,100 in White Rock/South Surrey.

Vancouver's best neighbourhoods are situated in the city's downtown, to the west of the downtown, and over the bridge to the North Shore (West and North Vancouver).

North Vancouver has one of Canada's lowest crime rates.

The west end of the downtown core is the most expensive area, while downtown's east side is a more impoverished area, with higher crime rates.

Some parts of the eastern city are very run down with some of the worst drug and homelessness problems in Canada.

Moving a little farther out, to somewhere like Burnaby, will be cheaper than the North Shore or downtown and there are plenty of more affordable, family sized properties in areas such as Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Delta, Surrey and Langley.

Each of these areas have some poorer areas that families moving to Vancouver might prefer to avoid, but they also have plenty of great places to live too, with lots of amenities that families will find are ideal.

Taken from: http://www.livingin-canada.com/living-in-vancouver.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Check out Roomorama or airbnb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14 minnow1

Hi all, Got my Loi and am flying out on the 1st June.. Now, I just need a job and somplace to live. My friend went last Monday and had a job by the end of the week, hope I'll be as lucky!!
    ANyhow - I've been looking at houseshares on Kijiji and Craigslist and the like, but not sure what's the best area's etc.. Anyone any recommendations?? I'm going to Edmonton. don't need anything too flash, clean, close to lrt etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement