Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i've written a good few songs..how to record them?

Options
  • 05-05-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hey guys :)
    I'm 17 and I've written loads of songs recently. If they were recorded the sound would be pop mixed with R&B,hints of urban pop in the songs. I've got positive feedback from friends and online when I've posted them on some fan websites and the comments were positive. I would LOVE to get the chance to record a few of the songs this summer and I was wondering if anyone knows any good recording studios in Dublin,not too expensive? I've heard good things about Popstar studios but I'm not sure what the price would be for recording 3-4 songs. So if anyone knows any good studios then please tell me :)

Also,any general advice? I'd love to play some gigs and was thinking about some clubs or places populated by young people after I've recorded the songs that is. How would I go about booking a gig? Although I'd have to try record songs first,getting ahead of myself :p

When I've hopefully recorded songs I want to post the music online,create website,gain fanbase through online,word of mouth,self-promotion,etc.. :) I'd love to send my music to a record label as a demo but should I send to an Irish label(like Universal) or English? (Polydor,Fascination,etc..)

Thanks in advance,I'd love to record the songs :) P.S anyone know of any dancing or singing competitions in Dublin? I love street dance too and jump at the chance to learn choreography :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    When I've hopefully recorded songs I want to post the music online,create website,gain fanbase through online,word of mouth,self-promotion,etc.. :)
    Be careful with online self-promotion though, a lot of music forums have a strict policy against it and it is usually frowned upon. Make sure you read rules first for the risk of being banned. I moderate on another music forum and the sheer amount of people signing up to post everything from rubbish youtube videos of them singing covers to stuff only slightly better is very overwhelming and tiresome.

It's best to stick to playing live and promoting yourself on the live circuit.
    I'd love to send my music to a record label as a demo but should I send to an Irish label(like Universal) or English? (Polydor,Fascination,etc..)
    Send your music to an independent label rather than a major. Not only do you have a greater chance of being signed but you will learn the ropes of the music business a lot better on an indie label. Also you have to remember that signing to a major label is basically like selling your soul to them, they will control everything you do and leave you with little artistic freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

You could try MySpace - Lily Allen started off there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

that is very much a myth, along with the arctic monkeys apparently finding fame the same way. Lilly Allens dad done quite a bit of stuff, including Fat Les with alex james from Blur as well as writing and playing with New Order every now and then. I'd say she got her contacts from him, not myspace. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Allen_%28actor%29

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Does anyone use MySpace these days? I don't have any figures but I'd imagine it's popularity has dropped ten-fold since '05/06 when Lily Allen was making a name for herself on it.

I presume YouTube would be the main avenue to go down these days. If you are good enough and promote yourself then you should get a decent audience.

Make sure you are good though. The last thing you want is to be getting thousands of hits due to the fact that you are completely rubbish. Laura Moynihan being one of the more unfortunate examples of that side of YouTube.

Advertisement