Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nincompoopish/ditzy behaviour.

• 05-05-2012 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭

Today, for about the 10th time this year so far, I absent-mindedly took out my front door keys instead of my monthly travel pass to get through the turnstile on the Metro (it doesn't work...don't try).

Last week I dipped my bookmark into my coffee instead of a biscuit in a cafe (not tasty).

Caught myself saying out loud a few weeks ago, "Now, what else do I have to do?" in a public place surrounded by people.

Almost used nail polish remover to remove eye-make up recently as well.

And I'm always wearing my clothes inside out and not realising 'till later in the day.

My head is up my arse and in the clouds 90% of the time. Fact.

This is the story of my life. Anyone else prone to this kind of nincompoopery?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

poop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I almost hit another driver on the M50 typing this post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I tried to ring a friend the other day.... with the sky remote. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Luckily I only tend to do those kind of things when I'm stressed (or drunk). Last year right before an exam I was getting coffee, opened a sachet of sugar and proceeded to pour it straight into the bin instead of into my mug. Was a waste of good sugar, that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

you are a woman, it is in your nature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'm constantly throwing spoons in the bin when I'm finished stirring coffee/tea with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Nincompoopish? That word is rather uncromulent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Wore my glasses into the shower a fair few times, and because the recycling bin is beside the laundry basket I've thrown a fair few knickers into it XD oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Superbus wrote: »
    Nincompoopish? That word is rather uncromulent.

It's a great word. Uncromulent is fairly decent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Not me... but my mother about a month ago rang to say she and my dad would stop by on their way home from my sisters - - - - she rang back 5 minutes later and said they wouldn't be calling by - because they came on the train!!

• Advertisement

earpiece wrote: »
    Not me... but my mother about a month ago rang to say she and my dad would stop by on their way home from my sisters - - - - she rang back 5 minutes later and said they wouldn't be calling by - because they came on the train!!

Brilliant! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A couple of times I've taken out my keys and then unlocked my car. After unlocking my car I put my keys back in my pocket and get into the car and go to start it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Luckily I only tend to do those kind of things when I'm stressed (or drunk). Last year right before an exam I was getting coffee, opened a sachet of sugar and proceeded to pour it straight into the bin instead of into my mug. Was a waste of good sugar, that. :(
    token101 wrote: »
    I'm constantly throwing spoons in the bin when I'm finished stirring coffee/tea with them.

I've done both of these recently.

My big one is leaving the house, getting half the way up the road and the not remembering whether I closed the front door or not. I go back check leave again only to once again not be able to remember whether the door was closed or not :confused:

There is also the never ending search for where I left my glasses.

I also had a terrible habit (which I have thankfully broken) of going duhhhhhh when I was trying to think of something.

Finally around an hour ago I was making a hot dog, got mustard on my finger, got distracted by a cat in the garden then proceeded to rub my eye with my mustard covered finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

was re-setting my mums phone its got buttons I touched the screen :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Have often take out swipe card for work to open front door of house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Few months back, opened a box of fags walking down the road with a friend, borrowed his lighter, and as we were standing near the bin, I went to put the plastic into the bin, but threw in his lighter. And held onto the rubbish.

Which would be grand, if he didn't want to smoke one too! :o

I poured a dollop of milk onto a bowl of cheesecake instead of into my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Have often take out swipe card for work to open front door of house.

I've done the opposite- took house keys out instead of swipe card in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Walking on a treadmill and got an itch so lifted my leg to scratch it, didnt end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I was making a packet white sauce and it was quite lumpy, so I took out the vegetable colander to strain it, and proceeded to pour all liquid down the sink and retained all the lumps in the colander.

One rainy day I was at home, and I went downstairs to get a glass of 7-up. As I picked up the fizzing glass of 7-UP, I wondered to myself if the rain had stopped yet, and when I felt a few drops of 7-UP fizz land on my hand I thought 'no, still raining'. It took me a few moments to realise (a) I was indoors, where it doesn't rain, and (b) it was the effervescent bubbling of my drink that I was feeling, not dancing drops of rain.

Another time, this time in the late evening, I was heading up to bed so I decided to call my cats in for the night. So off I went out the back and started calling them. When they didn't appear I turned to go back inside and there stood my two cats, bleary-eyed and confused, wondering why I'd roused them from their cosy snooze-spots, in the same room I'd been in all night, and called them out into the back garden.

I'm sure there's more that I just can't think of right now, because I regularly hear myself say 'ya big eejit' about myself when I've done something that is nincompoopish in nature. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Worst instance of sheer nincompoopery (kudos OP) was queuing in a shop for about 15 mins, by the time I got to the top of the queue I forgot why I was there. Had to slink away awkwardly in front of loads of pissed off people... half an hour later I remembered I was after a box of matches. Lots of duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

I put my bowl of cookie crisps into the fridge and put the milk carton in the bin before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

SteoL wrote: »
    I've done the opposite- took house keys out instead of swipe card in work

did that as well ..

keithb93 wrote: »
    I put my bowl of cookie crisps into the fridge and put the milk carton in the bin before.

Opened the press with the glasses, took one out, stuck the milk into the press and walked off with an empty glass the odd time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

mackg wrote: »
    I've done both of these recently.

My big one is leaving the house, getting half the way up the road and the not remembering whether I closed the front door or not. I go back check leave again only to once again not be able to remember whether the door was closed or not :confused:

Every single time before a night out, I'll be outside the door, but I have to go back inside my house and check the back window and the kitchen sockets. It's like mild, manageable OCD.

Lately, everytime I walk the dog he comes back with dog sh*t all over his paw. When I'm cleaning it off, he always looks pissed off and kind of gives a look at me as if to say 'Well it's not my fault, you're holding the f***ing lead'

I'd a really bad habit for a while of dumping relevant post by getting distracted reading junk mail leaflets. I'm reasonably confident I dumped a grant cheque in the UK doing this. Took 6 weeks to get reissued :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

im ditzy by nature but i gets ramped up by 10 when I wear headphones...sounds waves interrupt my

Stuff I've done,
    walked into revolving door window more than once(so sore)
    put milk bottle into microwave
    salt into coffee/tea
    hopped out of my dads car at traffic lights on main road, walked away with door open
    way more but i can't remember

These stories are feckin' gas...delighted I'm not the only one.

Thought of another one. Used to live in London and had been living in a new flat for about 6 months. One day I was coming home from work from the Tube station and forgot where I lived. Wandered around for a good 10 minutes trying to remember where the feck I'd misplaced me gaf. :confused:

Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy-arama!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Wore mismatched shoes to school once.

Misused an air hose once :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I had spent a whole day this one time painting christmassy pics onto several windows in a hospital. Anyway by the time I was finished I was in a mad daze, went to the local shop to pick up something and couldn't get out the door. I was there for ages pushing against it, astonished that it wouldn't open for us.
    The girl at the counter and another bloke were saying something but it went completely over my head until the bloke eventually walked over and pulled the door open for me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm always doing stuff like that.

In school, I was forever trying to open my locker with my house key (had them on different keyrings and all, so there was no excuse). In college, I've been late for a tutorial because I was sitting with one equally-lost friend in the classroom one floor above the one we were supposed to be in (Where is everyone?! It can't be just the two of us, someone else has to show... And it's gone 5 past now, he's running late, isn't he? :o).

I walk into coffee tables all the time if I get distracted by the TV, the window or someone else in the room. We had the same coffee table in the same place for about 5 years (right in the middle of the room, too), and I'd walk into it at least once a week. Was delighted to discover that our new, smaller one fits in a corner instead!

Once typed "boats.ie" instead of "boards.ie" and was confused as to why it wouldn't work.

Today I spent ages crawling on the floor looking under shelves etc. for a missing scissors... only to find it on my desk, which is right inside the door.

And, not quite the same thing, but I recently said "Oh, fuck off!" to a book in the library because it wasn't about the topic I was researching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've nearly driven myself batty looking for my glasses only to find myself wearing them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I poured milk into a bowl before the rice krispies!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Can't find my phone, look all over the house for it, in the end in desperation I pull my phone out of my pocket to ring it. :o

and have actually dialled it once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have thanked the ATM a load of times. Generally in front of about 15 people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I was doing the ironing. The phone rang. But they were very good about it in the burns unit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

The ammount of times I've looked like an idiot where I needed to get milk or bread, and walk to the local shop. Walk in the door. Forget what I had to get, and then proceed to turn around and walk back out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Assembled some cereal and then put the milk away in the press for the bowls.

Brother locked me out of the house one day, was on the phone to my ex, he said "Just ring him to let you in", checked my pockets and yelled "But I haven't got my phone!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Always get a mini-panic looking for something (usually phone), frantically check pockets/bag/everything....it's in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

I was on my way to college on day and I could not remember if i had turned the hair straightner off. I texted my neighbour and asked her to look out her window and see if my house was on fire. I asked her if she would phone the fire brigade if it was :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Yesterday evening, I went to the off licence, paid for my drink and cigarettes with my laser card and walked out of the off licence without my card and my purchases.

Last week I went into the chipper and asked for a regular burger with ketchup, onions and cheese. Assistant says to me "that's a cheeseburger luv" :o

I'm away with the birds at the best of times :o

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

More than once I've been looking for my glasses while wearing them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

About a month ago, I decided to make a cup of tea. So I got the milk, sugar and tea bag ready. Boiled the kettle and then proceeded to pour its contents into the sugar bowl.

I did it again this morning. :(

Went to a cafe, got a coffee, went over to the condiments table (you know, the type with a hole in the middle that's a bin), took two sugar packets, shook them, ripped off the tops, tenderly poured them into the bin and put the packets in my coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I call my children by each others names, even calling the boy one of the girls names. On occassion I call my youngest daughter by my younger sisters name (I think I am stepping back in time there) I have also gotten up and headed in the direction of my bedroom except I am heading in the direction of the bedroom in my home house where I havent lived in 20 years. Also this is the worst, I have gone to grab the sky remote to rewind a real life situation and felt disapointment when it wont work:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Have walked away from shopping after paying for it at the till in the supermarket.

Left the car in town and got the bus home once.

Went to the kitchen tap to get a light for my cig once (when I used to shmoke).

What frightens me is the ones you'll never know about. I've driven through a crossroads a couple of times and had a nagging suspicion that the lights were red after a few seconds - they probably weren't but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

If I'm walking along on my own, thinking away about something, I always get this feeling that I just said my train of thought out loud, and then I'm not sure if I did or not, and then I have to check are there any other people around that might have heard me and think I'm crazy :pac:, and sometimes while I'm thinking I move my mouth as if I'm saying the words, without knowing it, catch myself doing it, and then check again if anybody is giving me weird looks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I do these kind of things constantly.

Got into a lift this morning, waited a minute, walked back out assuming it was out of order. Then realised I hadn't pressed the button.

Took the right bus in the wrong direction to a friend of mine's house, didn't realise until I found myself in a ghetto on the other side of town.

Tried to take money out of an ATM with my shoppers points card.

Spent two hours looking for my work pass before giving in, cancelling it and ordering a new one...found it in my pocket five minutes later.

I've lost count of the amount of walls I've walked into while texting on the go.

And I've had to cancel two passports on this gem: putting something *REALLY IMPORTANT* in an unusual, private place that 'I couldn't possibly forget' - only to completely forget where that place is and end up losing it forever.

Oh and having to return to the house every day to make sure I've switched off my hair straightener - which I always have. I've started to say out loud 'you are unplugging your hair straightener now Beks' every time just so I actually remember when I'm halfway down the street and start to panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I often go looking for my glasses.....when I'm wearing them :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the odd time when im still half asleep ive put the coffee jar into the fridge and the milk into the press.

• Advertisement
Advertisement