Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney cleaning: who pays, me or landlord?

Options
  • 05-05-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

As per thread title.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What does the contract say?

If you are renting the whole property, then it should be clean when you move in and you should keep it clean until you move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

There is no legal laws that state one way or the other, but I would presume you do, I know that if it where me I would pay especially if I planned on staying long term and wanted to use the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Cheers for the replies , it says nothing at all in the contract , i have no objection to paying as it's not expensive to get done , but if I dont have to pay , all the better.

On another related note , the iron grate inside the fire is cracked and the fire-back is also badly cracked and falling apart , I would presume these are the landlords responsibility ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

yes they are

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If they were like that when you moved in, then yes.

Depending on the damage, I'd be wary of starting a fire with a cracked fireback.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

There is no smoke without fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Don't use a fire with a cracked fireback. Carbon monoxide risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

as the chinmney does not come under domestic cleaning.....you need not do it....

the landlord provided the fire place....it is his job to maintain it......

open fires are safe when there is air coming into the house.(airbricks etc )....as the heat goes up, it sucks cold air in.....make sure they are not all covered up....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would have thought that getting the chimney cleaned would be the landlords responsibility? It hardly falls under normal cleaning; I would consider it to be more routine maintenance of the property, along with things like painting the outside of the house etc.

Advertisement