Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How exactly is bandwidth provided?

• 05-05-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

OK this may be a shot in the dark and I know it sounds silly but I'm hoping I get the answer I want. I'm using UPC broadband at my house, while a friend of mine has no internet access. Tonight there's a UFC event that's been taken off ESPN in favour of an NBA match. Therefore it's been moved to ufc.tv. If I were to bring my router to his house for the night, would it work? I'm led to believe it would work with a digital box, but obviously internet access is different. But like I said I'm hoping I get lucky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If UPC broadband is not available where he lives then it won't work. If it is available, then it might work. The modems are provisioned by area, as far as I know, so depending on what areas you are in it may or may not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jor el wrote: »
    If UPC broadband is not available where he lives then it won't work. If it is available, then it might work. The modems are provisioned by area, as far as I know, so depending on what areas you are in it may or may not work.

Modems are provisioned by MAC address. I've brought mine from Killiney to Kildare for various reasons. If UPC broadband is enabled in the area it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Modems are provisioned by MAC address. I've brought mine from Killiney to Kildare for various reasons. If UPC broadband is enabled in the area it will work.

And they can restrict those MAC addresses if they want to, and I believe they have done this. You won't know until you try it, because it may or may not work.

Advertisement