Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What effect on Humanity will the discover of space life be?

• 05-05-2012 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

Lets imagine

(1) signs of life in space rocks fossils or something

(2) actually life(bacteria or otherwise) found in ice moons or poles somewhere in solar system

(3) detecting signs of life in deep space a signal or structure or pollution , something

(4) comms contact with intelligent life

(5) arrival of Alien life on Earth

(6) If humans leave earth and discover primative or inferiour life forms
    outside solar system would we defeat them or leave them alone

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

:pac:
    Thus in one ETI contact scenario, the ETI use humanity for entertainment purposes just as we
    use sea lions and seals for this. Shklovskii and Sagan continue to point out that ETI may
    desire to be the sole galactic power and will eliminate other life forms when they start to get in
    the way. Similarly, an ETI may simply be interested in using us as a means for growth of their
    economy. On an individual level they may not be interested in killing us, but may be interested
    in incorporating us into their civilization so they can sell us their products, keep us as pets, or
    have us mine raw materials for them. Such a scenario could be harmful or beneficial to us,
    depending on the methods they use to bring us into their society.

Baum, Seth; Haqq-Misra, Jacob; Domagal-Goldman, Shawn. "Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis", Acta Astronautica, 2011, 68 (11-12):2014-2129, April 22, 2011, accessed August 18, 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

(1) nobody will care

(2) nobody will care

(3) nobody will care

(4) religion revolutions&wars

(5) we will be exterminated

(6) we will exterminate them

Human mind is quite simple. :D

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

(1) signs of life in space rocks fossils or something Already been found, no big deal.

(2) actually life(bacteria or otherwise) found in ice moons or poles somewhere in solar system people will question if that is "life as we know it" (Jim)

(3) detecting signs of life in deep space a signal or structure or pollution , something signal/structure = awe

(4) comms contact with intelligent life CT nuts will have a field day

(5) arrival of Alien life on Earth new religion

(6) If humans leave earth and discover primative or inferiour life forms
    outside solar system would we defeat them or leave them alone Leave them alone. Find some country will make them commies. They'll appear as slaves on planet earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

First of all, religion will get it's long-due deterioration.

Man will devote some time to finding a new morality system. I believe that our natural survival instincts will be priority though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

An0n wrote: »

Man will devote some time to finding a new morality system.

If there's one thing that our history tells us is that religion and true morality are two seperate entities. There's nothing wrong with common sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

the_syco wrote: »
    (1) signs of life in space rocks fossils or something Already been found, no big deal.

Not sure it has...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

An0n wrote: »

Man will devote some time to finding a new morality system. I believe that our natural survival instincts will be priority though.

Does religion deny the existence of life beyond the earth? Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

I didn't say it did?
    Sorry, I should have ellaborated.

Most religion places all importance on our species. E.G. Man being made in the image of God. Which sounds great, if you're a man and you want to preserve importance on your species.

Imagine if other life forms came and tried to teach their deities upon us, putting all the importance on themselves. What do you think the reaction would be? Utter chaos. We are the most important thing to ourselves.

If Christ saved Man, who saved aliens? Are they doomed? If yes, then Humans are better than Aliens?
    Do Aliens have souls? Does bible prohibit killing Aliens like it does with humans?
    If Aliens actually came on Earth eons ago and they were called Gods... who actually is God then?
    Should we convert Aliens to terrestrial religions? What if they try doing that to us?

That's a mess.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

jumpjack wrote: »
    If Christ saved Man, who saved aliens? Are they doomed? If yes, then Humans are better than Aliens?
    Do Aliens have souls? Does bible prohibit killing Aliens like it does with humans?
    If Aliens actually came on Earth eons ago and they were called Gods... who actually is God then?
    Should we convert Aliens to terrestrial religions? What if they try doing that to us?

That's a mess.

:eek:

Christ saved man because man sinned apparently... I dont remember reading about aliens sining...

• Advertisement

Christ saved man because man sinned apparently... I dont remember reading about aliens sining...
    That's just because you never read (yet) about evidence of aliens existing. wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Err technically gods are aliens. Jesus would be a hybrid :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There was a paragraph or two about it in Corinthians. It's very easy to miss.

There was a paragraph or two about it in Corinthians. It's very easy to miss.
    If you're not kidding, can you please provide a link? I like aliens references in Bible! :)

Advertisement