Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easy courses at the UCC

• 05-05-2012 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey!
    I am spending the next semster at the UCC as an Erasmus-student. Now i have to choose my courses. Do you have any tips for me? Which courses are easy? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Hey, well it depends on what you're studying and what you're interested in and what subjects you have available to you...there are hundreds of courses so might be a good idea to give some info to narrow it down a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Arts.

Had to be done.

Would you not pick a course thats in line with what you're doing already???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Apollo17

Hey, well it depends on what you're studying and what you're interested in and what subjects you have available to you...there are hundreds of courses so might be a good idea to give some info to narrow it down a bit!

On my home university I am studying business administration. I have already chosen three business courses - but the rest i want to fill up with elective courses, which could be everything - so i am open-minded! :D

Arts.

Had to be done.

I think by "courses" he/she means modules, not degree programme, because Erasmus students generally get a couple of choices from other faculties than their own one afaik.
    Apollo17 wrote: »
    On my home university I am studying business administration. I have already chosen three business courses - but the rest i want to fill up with elective courses, which could be everything - so i am open-minded! :D

Well the year is 60 credits, and the smallest course (or module) is 5 credits. Depending on the credits of the ones you've picked already you can pick up to 9 more. Not much help to you on subject matter, sorry, because I'm not doing business or arts (I think arts modules would probably be of most interest to you because there are so many subjects) but do look at whether they're in teaching period 1 (Sept-Christmas) or 2 (January - April) so you don't end up doing 55 of your credits in one term. It'd make that term an awful lot of work!

Do you have any idea what you'd be interested in? Like there's no point us saying to try an interesting second year German class for example if you don't speak German and have no interest in learning it. Or if you happen to be German! Are there any restrictions on year/course/subject? Do you have to take some English classes?

The book of modules might be some help to you, it describes what's covered in all modules, how they're examined and how much they're worth. Link here: http://www.ucc.ie/modules/

I think by "courses" he/she means modules, not degree programme, because Erasmus students generally get a couple of choices from other faculties than their own one afaik.

Well the year is 60 credits, and the smallest course (or module) is 5 credits. Depending on the credits of the ones you've picked already you can pick up to 9 more. Not much help to you on subject matter, sorry, because I'm not doing business or arts (I think arts modules would probably be of most interest to you because there are so many subjects) but do look at whether they're in teaching period 1 (Sept-Christmas) or 2 (January - April) so you don't end up doing 55 of your credits in one term. It'd make that term an awful lot of work!

Do you have any idea what you'd be interested in? Like there's no point us saying to try an interesting second year German class for example if you don't speak German and have no interest in learning it. Or if you happen to be German! Are there any restrictions on year/course/subject? Do you have to take some English classes?

The book of modules might be some help to you, it describes what's covered in all modules, how they're examined and how much they're worth. Link here: http://www.ucc.ie/modules/

Thank you for you help ... I really come from Austria and speak german :D

I am interested in business, music, arts history ... it should not be too exhausting - I don't want to spend the whole semester at the university - I want to have time to travel around and to discover Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i think there's an arts module for "computer science" which teaches HTML(not really computer science but i assume the arts department want to be fancy)
    HTML is very easy to learn and it's handy as it will teach you how to make a basic website. i have not done this module but this is what i have heard about it and i already know HTML and it's simple to learn

Thank you for you help ... I really come from Austria and speak german :D

I am interested in business, music, arts history ... it should not be too exhausting - I don't want to spend the whole semester at the university - I want to have time to travel around and to discover Ireland.

Damn, I knew as I said it that you'd definitely be a German speaker since I picked that example! Arts classes are generally not many hours a week, you might have essays or reading depending on the class but you could do them in your own time so yeah, I'd say you'll have plenty of time for travelling! The International Students Soc was set up again this year and I know they went on trips with Erasmus students (Galway, west of Ireland, Dublin I think) so that'd be a cheap way of seeing some of the country and making friends at the same time.

I'd say going through the book of modules on the subject areas you're interested in and then maybe asking questions about more specific subjects would be best, there're people on here from lots of different courses. Also, if it would interest you I know a friend of mine did a class of beginners Irish this year (he's not Irish!) so that's an option too if you'd be interested...he said it was pretty easy and nice to get a couple of words of Irish like hello, goodbye, my name is etc. Don't know the module name or code though.

Edit: if you're looking for an easy way through I'd say don't pick all final year subjects, as they will probably be that bit harder. If you've an option of picking a few first year, few second year etc. might be a bit easier, but don't let it put you off taking some final year ones either! In the book of modules each module has a code, e.g. XX1022 - the first number being 1 there means it's generally a first year module, if it was a 2 it's a second year module etc. There are some exceptions but not many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

there are some very good music modules in UCC, you could look through the book of modules on the UCC website that has descriptions for all your options.

Do you know, is there any module with graphic design?

CS6102 is Graphic Design but it's a masters class in computer science, so not sure if that'd be any good to you. Try other CS modules maybe.

There used to be a technical drawing class in first year engineering but it's changed a bit this year and incorporates other topics now afaik, so probably not exactly what you're looking for either but worth a look. Oh, or try the architecture modules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

CS6102 is Graphic Design but it's a masters class in computer science, so not sure if that'd be any good to you. Try other CS modules maybe.

There used to be a technical drawing class in first year engineering but it's changed a bit this year and incorporates other topics now afaik, so probably not exactly what you're looking for either but worth a look. Oh, or try the architecture modules.
    i can't speak for the master courses but i would not recommend the CS first or second year graphics modules. they are poor and the guy who teaches them is terrible. in first year we had a 1 hour lecture consisting of showing us how to copy and paste(complete with 30-40 lecture slides). it got worse from there.... he's worse than any petty secondary school teacher i've had

EyeSight wrote: »
    i can't speak for the master courses but i would not recommend the CS first or second year graphics modules. they are poor and the guy who teaches them is terrible. in first year we had a 1 hour lecture consisting of showing us how to copy and paste(complete with 30-40 lecture slides). it got worse from there.... he's worse than any petty secondary school teacher i've had

What is with "Introduction to Multimedia Authoring Systems"? ... it sounds quite interesting.

has anyone attended "MG3020 Marketing Communications"!... it sounds also interesting. experiences, tips!? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Do Government and you'll be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

EyeSight wrote: »

I would have to agree...Stay clear of the CS graphics modules.They're brutal !!

Bad modules..Taught badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fifitricks

Arts.

Had to be done.

Clearly you're not doing arts?? I left one course and decided to do arts as I thought it would be easy...WRONG!! more stressful than what I originally was doing and I needed over 500 in my leaving for the original course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hey!
    I am spending the next semster at the UCC as an Erasmus-student. Now i have to choose my courses. Do you have any tips for me? Which courses are easy? :)

There is no real easy course but I'd imagine an Arts course be best option, more variety of subjects to choose from.

Best to go with a course that has modules you are already studying. Maybe go for different subjects, be a challenge but be new and different. I'd still suggest to go for subjects related to the course/modules you are already doing or do modules similar to your course.

If you currently doing a business course with no marketing in it then maybe do a module in marketing say for your semester in UCC. Best to pick modules that compliment each other than do totally different ones for all of them, maybe one or two different ones and the rest be similar, blend better that way.

The modules you have mentioned in the thread so far be good modules to go for but could be difficult if you haven't done a module in them or a similar module in them.

Just be careful what modules you do pick, research them thoroughly before you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Go with a course or set of modules that you'd like and enjoy. That would suit you not just those that benefit for future career. Though very important to go with modules for future career, choose wisely. Best of luck OP.

Advertisement