Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are We The Worse People on the Roads

• 05-05-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Are we the worse people on the roads. How many use indicators correct when using a roundabout or when turning off. How many turn right from the left hand lane.

Pedestrians love walking out in front of you and cyclists go straight to the front of traffic lights.

School times seem the best time when parents park cars in middle of road nearly so the child hasnt far to go.

I am looking for stories now about your ordeals on the road.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

We as in the Irish, men in general, boardsies, or just people called Steven from Athlone who were born in 1981?

TBH, you probably are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

I indicate incorrectly (use the right indicator regardless) just to stop bastards pulling out onto the roundabout while I'm already on my way around it. I used to not, and would indicate correctly, however I had idiots just drive out and almost have me hit straight into them any extraordinary amount of times. Lesson learned.

With regards to school times, well, to put it into perspective: I can get from my house to work in less than 10 minutes in the car when the schools are off. When the schools are in, it can take up to 50 minutes to do the same drive. Parents of the children attending the local schools absolutely clog up the smaller roads, parking badly and turning two lane roads into single lane. I absolutely detest it. Then they expect me to leave them the parent and child spaces in the shopping centres or supermarkets? I don't think so!

I can't understand why children need to start school at the same time as the rest of us start work, why not have them in for an 8am start, so the roads are cleared by the time everyone is trying to get to work? It'd be another hour of schooling for them also, which certainly couldn't hurt.

Anyway, if you think that Irish people are the worst on the roads, try going to India, Egypt or similar. It's terrifying on their roads.

Although, I see people in the "learning to drive" forum here posting things such as "failed for the 5th time today, oh well, 6th time lucky!" in what is an incredibly easy driving test. The longer we allow such people on the roads here, the longer we're going to have issues with people on the roads.

Ideally we should have a significantly harder driving test and a re-test every 5-10 years. The elderly on the roads here are a complete and utter joke, most of them in fact bought their licenses as opposed to passing a test to get it, yet if you tried to have them sit a driving test to see if they're road worthy the party who tried to enact it would end up out on their arses without fail at the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Steven81 wrote: »
    My pet grainoge was murdered whilst crossing the road!

He was a hog who didn't reach the hedge quick enough.

I love you Spikey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Not even remotely close.

Try Greece, Argentina, Egypt or India. If the roads were better in Angola or Nigeria then they would be the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Not unless you're a taxi or bus driver?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

cyclists going to the front at junctions?!!! seriously op? thats the safest thing for all road users. thats why there are advanced stop areas for cyclists at newer junctions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

FFs when will you people get a thread of " all self hating here" and get over it.
    No you are not the worst, less QQ FFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I am the worst driver imaginable. The dude who passed me on the test should be sacked. I dont think I will ever drive again and I use the LUAS/Dublin bus on a daily basis. If I continued driving, I inevitably would have been involved in an accident and badly insured myself and others.

Hopefully some of the local knackers relieve me of my car(hasnt been used in months) so I can claim the insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

A lot of worse people on road in the town like to not indicate all every other bed. Honest its getting worst than before it was the fixed last year.
    No, we're not the worse but were almost at it aye.

Seriously though pal, I don't understand fully what you're asking here. Elaborate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I take it you have never been in Rome or any where in Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

I blame my self.

Im an average driver.

But im a murderer. I must have killed about 32,000+ bugs. :(

R.I.P. Bugs. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

FFs when will you people get a thread of " all self hating here" and get over it.
    No you are not the worst, less QQ FFs.

Are you feeling a little run down?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I indicate incorrectly (use the right indicator regardless) just to stop bastards pulling out onto the roundabout while I'm already on my way around it. I used to not, and would indicate correctly, however I had idiots just drive out and almost have me hit straight into them any extraordinary amount of times. Lesson learned.

But that's mental. What about pedestrians properly reading your indicators (but not your grievance) and what about cars taking a left turn on a roundabout that has 2 lanes? The car turning left will think you're taking the next exit and assume (correctly) that it safe to take their left turn at the same time you're using the roundabout.

To th OP- we are no where near the worst. But some drivers are as equally bad as the worst in the worst countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We've improved our road safety vastly over the last decade to be fair. Last year we were third best in the EU for road safety, there was a time when us and poor old Greece would be the perennial last and second last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Go to Italy for a holiday this year. There's something uniquely disturbing about seeing someone put their seatbelt behind them and into the clip in order to avoid wearing it without the normally-ensuing pinging alarm, just because they're "only" going for a fifteen-minute trip along a narrow country road with everyone going about 100 km/h.

And they're not the worst.

Bad as we are at driving in this country, we're still probably among the best countries in the world at driving overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

People pulling out onto roundabouts in front of me does my head in, if i hadn't got good breaks on the car i'd hit someone about once a week.

I am also starting to see far more people just not bother indicating.

Secondary School kids trying to be bad asses by strolling out in front of the car and not giving a ****.

You could give yourself a stroke if you let it all get to you on the road. Now i just accept we have a hell of a lot of gobs****s on the road. I'd like to see more guards on motorbikes around town catching this sort of shenanigans though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Are we the worse people on the roads. How many use indicators correct when using a roundabout or when turning off. How many turn right from the left hand lane.
    Pedestrians love walking out in front of you and cyclists go straight to the front of traffic lights.
    School times seem the best time when parents park cars in middle of road nearly so the child hasnt far to go.

You have never drove in India I take it.
    Its like playing Russian Roulette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the worst are asians

fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Helix wrote: »
    the worst are asians

fact
    Certainly, among first world drivers they are in a league of their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I hate traffic. I hate $hitty drivers that cause traffic like the aforementioned school mammy's blocking up the whole flucking road. I hate when they take 5 seconds to move off from a green light with a big awkward drop of the shoulder trying to clumsily find first gear. I hate people who enter a motorway at 30mp/h gripping the steering wheel for dear life with white knuckles showing oblivious to the dangers they are causing, I hate lane hoggers, I hate tail-gaters, I hate retards who manage to crash on amazingly engineered motorways which in turn affects city-wide rush hour morning traffic for several hours. I hate when drivers bunch up together driving in a convoy making overtaking more difficult and dangerous for everyone. I hate the lack of respect drivers show each other on the road, I hate the lack of appreciation shown when you let someone out of a side road, I hate the detachment drivers create from the outside world because they're surrounded by flimsy metal. I hate rubber neckers who get sexually aroused by a traffic accident on the other side of the motorway, sometimes slowing down to less than 20mp/h often causing another accident. In terms of measurement of lack of consideration for other drivers, lack of general all around observation, lack of knowledge of conduct - lane hoggers especially on motorways are the worst. Oh yeah, and I hate the attitude of retarded bltch who pulled out in front of me from a lower priority side road last summer with her ugly mother nearly causing an accident and causing me to swerve, who then tried to blame me. I think of Jean-Paul_Sartre's "Hell is other people" often when driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Of course not! We still regard traffic lights as actual signals and not decorations ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

the worst are asians

fact

This is very true.. Has any of you ever been here?? its just unbelievable!! everyday i see it.. its like they have no brain! You cant relax at all driving they can just suddently pull up in front if you.. they almost never use indecators red lights mean nothing they will drive down the wrong side of the motorway meeting you cos its shorter to nip in where there going:eek: as for the motorbikes.. they never wear a helmet( prob besause there is not much in there to damage anyway) the police dont care unless your a westerner or falang then they will fine you... and you pay them there and then:rolleyes: if your a westerner and you have a accident with a thai who is 110% wrong the police will nearly always side with the thai now thats if he is hurt if the thai has a chance to run away he will.... like the road structure is very good here way better than ireland mostly good roads traffic lights everything is as it should they just wont and dont use them properly and with on average over 300.000 road deaths every year and fcuk knows how many bad injuries one would think they would learn some basic common sense..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Turkey - I feared for my survival whenever in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Arra shur everybody knows I'm going in right here,shur isn't dat my house just over there?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dudess wrote: »
    Turkey - I feared for my survival whenever in a car.

But it was worth it to get yourself a husband.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

We arent the worst but you see when the bstard in front of you slows down to a complete stop approaching a roundabout without looking first to see if its all clear:mad::mad:sorry women,you do it more than old gits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Are we the worse people on the roads.

No
    How many use indicators correct when using a roundabout or when turning off. How many turn right from the left hand lane.

An average amount
    Pedestrians love walking out in front of you

No they don't :confused:
    and cyclists go straight to the front of traffic lights.

50/50 really

That's because 1: they start work at 9 and 2: little johnny/jackie is THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS :P

How can there be stories, we're not the worst :confused:

I was very bored

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Donegal skews the national average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

I think that people with bad grammar are also careless about other things, such as driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Me inglish be perfect, is unpossible, oh look blue light, go i can :D
    ah that's not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Motorist wrote: »
    I hate traffic. I hate $hitty drivers that cause traffic like the aforementioned school mammy's blocking up the whole flucking road. I hate when they take 5 seconds to move off from a green light with a big awkward drop of the shoulder trying to clumsily find first gear. I hate people who enter a motorway at 30mp/h gripping the steering wheel for dear life with white knuckles showing oblivious to the dangers they are causing, I hate lane hoggers, I hate tail-gaters, I hate retards who manage to crash on amazingly engineered motorways which in turn affects city-wide rush hour morning traffic for several hours. I hate when drivers bunch up together driving in a convoy making overtaking more difficult and dangerous for everyone. I hate the lack of respect drivers show each other on the road, I hate the lack of appreciation shown when you let someone out of a side road, I hate the detachment drivers create from the outside world because they're surrounded by flimsy metal. I hate rubber neckers who get sexually aroused by a traffic accident on the other side of the motorway, sometimes slowing down to less than 20mp/h often causing another accident. In terms of measurement of lack of consideration for other drivers, lack of general all around observation, lack of knowledge of conduct - lane hoggers especially on motorways are the worst. Oh yeah, and I hate the attitude of retarded bltch who pulled out in front of me from a lower priority side road last summer with her ugly mother nearly causing an accident and causing me to swerve, who then tried to blame me. I think of Jean-Paul_Sartre's "Hell is other people" often when driving.

Aaaaaaand breathe........

taxi driver?:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Bad as we are at driving in this country, we're still probably among the best countries in the world at driving overall.

And getting better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

All's I know is there are still people out there who *abuse* the road no matter what country they're in. I meant to rant about this earlier actually. The other day when I was at a roundabout, I had already left my position therefore I was in possession of the roundabout, the car to my right who had been stationary (this I know for sure as I would have given them their entitled right-of-way over me when I checked before moving out myself, but they hadn't left their position yet so then I went. But, next thing ya know "in the blink of an eye! ;):D " this car had nearly landed inside me car-boot and started beeping like a crazy person. I was nearly going to get out to tell them all's they had to do was ask me and I'd have gladly opened the boot for them if they wanted to go in there that badly!! :rolleyes::p:D It's these kinda muppets our roads don't need; - this person tried to imply I did wrong by speeding up behind me to make it seem like I moved out without looking where I was going when in fact i had possession of the roundabout, I was obviously on the r/b before them when they were behind me like! :rolleyes: Such a Noddy they shouldn't be driving. (Am getting cross even writing about it now lol!) But anyways "that sort" shouldn't be on our roads, chancing their arm, causing dangerous driving. All it takes is a split-second for something disastrous to go wrong ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

the worst are asians

fact

Currently experincing Thai drivers.
    Fvcking nuts

Going up one way streets, 80km+ on main city streets, traffic doesn't stop at a zebra crossing ,ignore any right of way rules, 3 people on scooters with no safety gear including babies :eek:

Advertisement