Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's Bertie's fault i'm so broke...

• 05-05-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

Was just having a looksie at Accommodation & Property from back in 2005/2006 :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

Yeah 'cause people were being marched into the bank with a gun to their head and made take out mortgages.

If you bought during the boom and are suffering now, it's your fault and yours alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Well according to my pay slip it's your man "paye" , "Prsi" and his new neighbour "USC" that have me so broke. It doesnt say anything about Bertie....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Wow. You really know how to make the most of a Saturday night, don't you? :pac:

Well according to my pay slip it's your man "paye" , "Prsi" and his new neighbour "USC" that have me so broke. It doesnt say anything about Bertie....
    If you want to feel real pain, when you check your pay slip work out how many weekly dole payments you're supporting with the taxes taken from your pay.

Honestly, it has me in such a fit when I do it that I could almost march down to the dole queues and start trying to get the feckers working myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yeah 'cause people were being marched into the bank with a gun to their head and made take out mortgages.

If you bought during the boom and are suffering now, it's your fault and yours alone.

Yeah, people being stupid paying market values for their homes.Silly fools should obviously have waited until now to buy, or better still , they should have bought 10 - 20 years sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Honestly, it has me in such a fit when I do it that I could almost march down to the dole queues and start trying to get the feckers working myself.

Whats stopping you? Set up a business were a lad sends you his CV and you find him a job for a small fee.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Yeah, people being stupid paying market values for their homes.Silly fools should obviously have waited until now to buy, or better still , they should have bought 10 - 20 years sooner.
    Sorry, I'll highlight that I said "...and are suffering now", directed at those who over-extended themselves and didn't plan for a change in the economy or their own position and are now crippled with debt that they signed for themselves, at terms they themselves agreed to.

It's about responsible financial management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Was just having a looksie at Accommodation & Property from back in 2005/2006 :rolleyes:

Join the que man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

If you want to feel real pain, when you check your pay slip work out how many weekly dole payments you're supporting with the taxes taken from your pay.

How smug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I can still afford me Jellybabies so I'm alright Jack!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

A bit harsh really. Fair enough there are spongers on social welfare who want to get all they can and offer nothing in return.

Still it has to be acknowledged that are in the midst of a hell of a global recession .
    The jobs market is hugely depressed, and even if all those on the dole had the academic credentials of Stephen Hawkin coupled with the likeability of Ron Burgundy the dole queues would still remain enduring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

poor bertie....gets blame for everything......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If the market value is clearly in a heightened "bubble" state, then yes, you could say "stupid".

You should say "mindlessly, ignorantly, greedily, obnoxiously stupid", but you can settle on "stupid", if you want to spare their feelings.
    I don't though, so I'll stick with what should be said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

poor bertie....gets blame for everything......

Bertie Basset B'stard! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=188752

Sounds like he was doing well until: Location: Melbourne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Linkies to actual threads back then OP?

Notice how those who proclaimed then that high prices were justified disappeared off boards once the crash came :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

thats it im ****ing off somewhere where they dont tax air and for bricks and mortar you just paid for etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thats it im ****ing off somewhere where they dont tax air and for bricks and mortar you just paid for etc..

legoland is closed afaik

grindle wrote: »
    If the market value is clearly in a heightened "bubble" state, then yes, you could say "stupid".

You should say "mindlessly, ignorantly, greedily, obnoxiously stupid", but you can settle on "stupid", if you want to spare their feelings.
    I don't though, so I'll stick with what should be said.

in any housing boom....there are winners, and there are losers......

therefore...it is a gamble......

why are the winners never mentioned.........?????

in any housing boom....there are winners, and there are losers......
    I agree.
    therefore...it is a gamble......

why are the winners never mentioned.........?????

Because the losers outnumber them, and are generally not the type to read economic news or books, so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.
    My dad was a winner, but he wasn't expecting it, he was just lucky.

gurramok wrote: »
    Linkies to actual threads back then OP?

Notice how those who proclaimed then that high prices were justified disappeared off boards once the crash came :)
    Most here seemed cautious in this thread, though the Politics.ie forum was full of gung-ho lunatics back then.

I quite like this quote from the thread on boards though:
    Dochasach, people gave very similar arguments 5 years ago and if you had bought a house then, instead of renting, you'd be doing very well.
    Obviously the current rate of increase can't last forever. That's obvious, but there is a difference between a slow down in the rate of increase and the doomsday scenario you predict. If property prices were to fall it is unlikely that they will fall by much. It is considered a property price crash is if prices drop 10-15%. I would stake my life that a house that sells now for 300k will never sell for less than 250k.
    At the current rate of increase, if you bought a house now. Your property will increase by that 10-15% within 2 years anyway, and I don't see a crash coming within 2 years. Also I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be waiting too long for prices to pick up again as peoples wages are only going to go up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

grindle wrote: »

Most here seemed cautious in this thread, though the Politics.ie forum was full of gung-ho lunatics back then.

I quite like this quote from the thread on boards though:

Has TheBigLebowski left this planet since? :)

I like Morningstar posts, quite humourous and sums up the mentality in 2005\06 of the bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Oh seriously, get over yourself

gurramok wrote: »
    Has TheBigLebowski left this planet since? :)

In another thread:
    I wouldn't recommend askaboutmoney.com
    Based on what?
    Based on the fact that there are a lot of posters with vested interests. And also the fact that you are very limited about what you post about and you may get banned for posting with a negative sentiment on financial matters.

"What do you mean you think the economy is going down the tubes and housing market is overvalued? Here's a two week ban. Don't come back until you change your attitude."
    :pac::pac::pac:
    Anyway, that's terrible, rifling through the past like that. He's stuck to the football commentary since.

grindle.....well done your dad......

but i cannot see that the losers outnumber the winners.....

it is sad the lots of people fell for the...."they must keep gpoing up" syndrome.....

but that happens everywhere there is a housing boom.......

negativev equity is only relevent if you cannot pay your mortgage.........if you can pay....it is not a loss, just a number.....

negativev equity is only relevent if you cannot pay your mortgage.........if you can pay....it is not a loss, just a number.....

Its also relevant if you want to move, as it is for myself. I have no trouble paying the mortgage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

OP, if you got an issue,heres a tissue.

*tissue sent by pm.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Yeah, of course. God forbid they rented. Bleedin' morto .

Its also relevant if you want to move, as it is for myself. I have no trouble paying the mortgage though.

but surely....if your house price has dropped...so have others...

i am in the uk.....and house prices vary enormously from area to area...even what school is in the catchment area has a great affect on prices....

i lived in a village.....bought my house for 10,000 pounds....sold it for
    265,000 thousand pounds.....

but a similar house elsewhere is..135,00 pounds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

In all fairness the dole was there when I needed it. Thank god I'm off it now.

I Wouldn't begrudge a man the dole at all. It's the fail safe every first world country should have for it's people. It sure helped me climb up out of a hole and sort myself out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

fvck bertie i blame the brown paper envelope :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:pac:

This was a troll thread btw

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

It's Bertie's fault the country's broke.
    It's your fault you're broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

Don't admit it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

theres basements for people like you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

If you had a better job you wouldn't need to care as much, a bigger take home pay can make you a lot happier.

Get a promotion ya lazy fecker.

Oh seriously, get over yourself

Oh ****, sorry, I didn't know I was wrong? Has anyone reported the banks for dragging people in and putting a gun to their head and have them sign credit agreements?

Hell, contracts are invalid if signed under duress such as the above, so they really ought to pursue it if it it's true as they could have the debt written off.
    In all fairness the dole was there when I needed it. Thank god I'm off it now.

I Wouldn't begrudge a man the dole at all. It's the fail safe every first world country should have for it's people. It sure helped me climb up out of a hole and sort myself out.

No I absolutely wouldn't, I begrudge those who are sitting on it with the attitude of "why should I work for minimum wage when I can get €200 a week doing nothing", of which there are an enormous amount, not to mention the long term dole lifers that we're supporting, those who choose it as a life/career and those scamming the system with part time cash in hand jobs/nixers.
    If you had a better job you wouldn't need to care as much, a bigger take home pay can make you a lot happier.

Get a promotion ya lazy fecker.

I believe that, sir, is a logical fallacy.

I believe that, sir, is a logical fallacy.

Not really.

Not really.
    A bigger take home pay would amount in more tax being paid which actually increases the issue that you were trying to address with your above pay, as opposed to decreasing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP is obsessed with pushing this smug message, and with the rolleyes symbol.

• Advertisement

A bigger take home pay would amount in more tax being paid which actually increases the issue that you were trying to address with your above pay, as opposed to decreasing it.

You really don't get when you are being trolled, do ya?

You really don't get when you are being trolled, do ya?
    Nope.

JoeGil wrote: »
    It's Bertie's fault the country's broke.
    It's your fault you're broke.

But i'm not broke, i'm having the time of my life

Dudess wrote: »
    OP is obsessed with pushing this smug message, and with the rolleyes symbol.

It's just many people on here moan about how it's other peoples fault

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

People entrust the running of the economy to elected officials. When it goes wrong they tend to blame those they trusted, and rightly so.

When we take out mortgages, loans etc we do so on the basis of what we can control - I work hard and I will keep my job, maybe even get a promotion etc. AND not on what we can't control i.e macroeconomics. If we did base our financial decision on the fact that our employer may go broke and make us redundant then nobody would ever buy a property, a car or anything beyond food.

And as for marching down to the dole office and finding everybody work - This is a Jesus complex, there is one vacancy for every eight unemployed. Loaves and fishes.

People who bought 2,3,4+ properties that they didn't need have little right to complain, they are part of the problem. People who bought a home for their families and subsequently area now struggling to repay the mortgage due to the change in economic conditions are fully deserving of sympathy.

I did neither but have great sympathy for the latter and none for the former. I have less sympathy for those who blame the many for the mistakes of the few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

And the guy above you is paying for your selfish draining of the state's resources. Remember: don't get sick or educated. Your taxes aren't covering how much they cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

And the guy above you is paying for your selfish draining of the state's resources. Remember: don't get sick or educated. Your taxes aren't covering how much they cost.

No this guy's taxes are all spent on welfare. He doesn't use:

Gardai
    Roads
    HSE
    Schools
    College
    Defence
    etc

And he doesn't want to contribute his share of the debt repayment as it is not his fault.

forfuxsake wrote: »
    People who bought 2,3,4+ properties that they didn't need have little right to complain, they are part of the problem. People who bought a home for their families and subsequently area now struggling to repay the mortgage due to the change in economic conditions are fully deserving of sympathy.

I did neither but have great sympathy for the latter and none for the former. I have less sympathy for those who blame the many for the mistakes of the few.

Well put :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Seanie Fitz and co. can take some blame too.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Saga of the collapse of our Economy was a mirror of Irish Society with all the faults and failings we have as a nation .

• Advertisement
Advertisement