Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Box or Playstation 3?

Options
  • 05-05-2012 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

It's a very simple question, i'm in the market for a console. X-Box or Playstation 3? Is there really much of a difference. xbox seems a good bit cheaper.

any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What will you be using the console for? Purely gaming? Online gaming? Web browsing? Movies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Asking in the Xbox forum you're probably not going to get impartial advice.

Anyhow, I have both and the 360 is used WAY more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Get whatever one most of your friends/co-workers have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Ok, guys, it's against forum policy to have a PS3 Vs 360 debate but I'll let it go if everyone keeps it sensible and this doesn't turn into a flame war!

The reality is there's very little between the two consoles. Whoever gave the advice "just buy whatever one most of your friends have" is probably the best advice possible.

So, do a bit of research with your mates and buy accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rhadamanthus

If any of the exclusives for one or the other really sway you then go for that one, I guess. Like, if you really think Gears of War looks great or something, go for the Xbox. On the other hand, if buying and replaying Final Fantasy VII tickles your fancy then go for the PS3 (or, for the sake of fairness, I should mention recent titles like Infamous or Yakuza too). They intersect a fair bit on big name titles anyway, so it's really nuances like that that make up the bulk of the practical difference.

Besides that, I'd agree that what the majority of your friends already have should be the deciding factor. There isn't ultimately that much between the two consoles, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

XBOX = Gaming

PS3 = Entertainment

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    What will you be using the console for? Purely gaming? Online gaming? Web browsing? Movies?

Hi,

gaming and online gaming mainly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

that's great, cheers man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dunny! wrote: »
    XBOX = Gaming

PS3 = Entertainment

Simples.

This is bull****, absolute bull****.

Only two people have given good advice, me by saying to get whatever one your friends have and whoever said buy it based on what exclusives you prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Has skygo appeared on the playstation yet? That seems to get most use on my xbox these days. No blu ray player though which would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Has skygo appeared on the playstation yet? That seems to get most use on my xbox these days. No blu ray player though which would be handy.

No, as far as I know MS and Sky have a deal which means no Sky for Sony. It was a big thing at E3 '10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hardware wise i think the ps3 is streets ahead tbh. its quieter, more reliable and, more importantly, plays blu-rays

however the most important things to ask are whether you're going to be playing it online, and fancy paying for the privilege or not (ps3 is free, xbox costs money). psn is good, but xbox live pips it. if you fork out for ps+ you'll get plenty of free games to keep you going, surpassing any xbox service - but it costs money, which isn't ideal

for multi format games, the xbox version is usually better. for exclusives, i find that ps3 exclusive titles tend to be quite a bit ahead of xbox exclusives technically, but of course that's not really all that important, so you really need to look at the games themselves.

on a personal level i think ps has the better exclusives - but everyone's going to have their own opinion there

if i was recommending a console to someone, and i had to pick one to recommend, the ps3 would edge it

(completely impartial opinion from a full time games journalist)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kyle123

For me Xbox is better as its cheaper has better online in my opinion and I prefer the controller but hardware wise ps3 is a newer console and wins every time there it's newer and more powerful. And online gaming is free. I have both and prefer xboxbut it's all personal opinion.
    It's more power and free online against cheaper and better online stuff like some priority dlc for some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

When I was buying my console, all my friends were all about xbox, thats all anyone was talking about, so naturally I went with that.

Few years later I got a PS3, but its only used for the exclusives and blu ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surely in this digital download age, the fact that PS3 has blueray is not important anymore?
    DVD's and CD's are a thing of the past for a long time for me now and will for more and more people.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely in this digital download age, the fact that PS3 has blueray is not important anymore?
    DVD's and CD's are a thing of the past for a long time for me now and will for more and more people.

dvds and cds are dead

blurays are still very much alive believe and have a future

Helix wrote: »
    dvds and cds are dead

blurays are still very much alive believe and have a future

How, blurays are just HD DVD's?

HD films can be downloaded illegaly or legally.

Even on Xbox you can buy or rent HD films. Netflix streams in HD.

I really don't think bluray has a huge future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Blu rays are not just hd DVDs, it is a more advanced format, with more capabilities and brighter future.

Even on Xbox you can buy or rent HD films.

sure it costs almost as much to rent them as it does to buy them outright and physically own them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

How, blurays are just HD DVD's?

HD films can be downloaded illegaly or legally.

Even on Xbox you can buy or rent HD films. Netflix streams in HD.

I really don't think bluray has a huge future.

I don't know. Long term I guess physical media will become a thing of the past but until proper broadband speeds are the norm in ireland and restrictive data caps at taken away I think there wil be a place for blu rays.

On topic OP, I'd go with the majority of your friends have. Would help for online play and swapping games with each other etc

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Blu rays are not just hd DVDs, it is a more advanced format, with more capabilities and brighter future.

What capabilities that also can not be done by an Xbox or computer hard disk?
    sure it costs almost as much to rent them as it does to buy them outright and physically own them

Rental is €6 for a HD film, which isn't bad.
    I don't see the advantage of physically owning a disc that can lost, scratched or damaged and also takes up space compared to download.
    kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I don't know. Long term I guess physical media will become a thing of the past but until proper broadband speeds are the norm in ireland and restrictive data caps at taken away I think there wil be a place for blu rays.

The future of physical media is not dependant on Irish broadband speeds. Also you are right about the thread being taken off topic so I'd leave it there. Just wanted to point out that I don' think is now a major advantage over Xbox as it was when it launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Yep. HD Downloads would want to be a fair bit cheaper before I would consider them over Blu Rays.

To answer the OP I would go with what the majority of your friends have as well.

Edit: Ah I misread Helix's post. I thought he was talking about HD Download purchases, not rentals. HD rentals are only 4 euro on US Itunes so definitely worth renting rather than paying full whack for a Blu ray that you aren't sure is good enough to own yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

simple answer xbox360 is the ultimate gamers console.. you wanna be a gamer then choose microsofts offering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

simple answer xbox360 is the ultimate gamers console.. you wanna be a gamer then choose microsofts offering

tommy-lee-jones-newspaper-e6d4f.jpg

You can be just as much of a gamer on the PS3. The only area I think the 360 pips the PS3 is online and then, its not by too much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you are into online multiplayer ,xbox live is a much better service than ps3 online,although its not free.
    I think the 360 controller is better,theres very few games on the ps3 ,that are not avaidable on the 360.
    unless you need a blueray player ,I see no point in buying a more expensive
    ps3.
    There seems to be very little difference in graphics quality between the two.Most games are designed for 720 hd mode anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

You joking? I have both consoles and i barely play my xbox. Im ps3 all the way and i consider myself a proper gamer. Most likely more than you so no-one take this guys rubbish advice. At the end of the day whatever console your friends play on, buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Closing the thread. You guys just couldn't behave, could you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement