Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real life experiences of sale of goods 'reasonable time' out of warranty claims.

Options
  • 05-05-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Hey all there are numerous threads dealing with the Sale of Goods act that goods should last a reasonable amount of time. Some people seem to have had success. What is the general consensus.

I am particularly interested from the point of view of Applecare warranties. Nothing Apple sells is cheap so surely ALL apple products should be expected to last three years, making apple care redundant??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

I maybe completely wrong as I don't and won't buy there products through personal choice nothin to do with there products but its just choice but what if the product fault was not covered by warranty? wouldn't they then be needed? I may be wrong but if these places weren't making money then they wouldn't be in business and there seem to be a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

most claims are for damage like cracked screens etc which is not covered by statutory rights so applecare is necessary for items which are imho "built to break". Imho the whole apple thing is a marketing ploy, you pay once for your ipod or macbook etc then you pay again for a warranty which is where they make their money but most people cant afford to not have the warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

its interesting, because like apple care,it is seen as an "apple product"ie it costs the same to buy it in your local apple agent or harvey norman than it would off apple(close enough anyways)
    As apple products go arn't they seen as traditionaly low margin products for the seller??
    Also apple care is a hoax from my understanding it is just an extended warrenty for 2 years and not insurance.It doesn't cover accidental damage,if it did it would possibly may be worth considering as macbooks tend to be quite expensive to repair

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

skinny90 wrote: »
    its interesting, because like apple care,it is seen as an "apple product"ie it costs the same to buy it in your local apple agent or harvey norman than it would off apple(close enough anyways)
    As apple products go arn't they seen as traditionaly low margin products for the seller??
    Also apple care is a hoax from my understanding it is just an extended warrenty for 2 years and not insurance.It doesn't cover accidental damage,if it did it would possibly may be worth considering as macbooks tend to be quite expensive to repair

Its an extended warranty, not insurance. The reason I have it, is I have machines for my business, which I would need repaired quickly, and wouldn't have months to wait around waiting for an SCC case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

Samsung 40Inch TV - 2 years 1 month old.

Completly broken due to faulty capacitors.. internal manufacturing fault.

I rang Samsung - and no joy - no way - unless you are in UK or USA where they had a class action thing going on and everyone had their tvs repaired or cash back if you had thrown the tv out.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

true point, how do you find their service?have you had to use it?if so what for, i was just pointing out what foggy had said regarding apple care...Its a really interesting thread none the less..
    you see i have used insurance on my iphone 3gs and the screen smashed and within 5 days it was replaced their last january,i now have a 4s but if i was offered apple care on it i wouldnt take it,as if the screen was to shatter they wouldn't cover it under apple care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

ozmo wrote: »

I rang Samsung - and no joy - no way - unless you are in UK or USA where they had a class action thing going on and everyone had their tvs repaired or cash back if you had thrown the tv out.

If you can prove this you are a guaranteed winner in Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

When I had problem with my Ipod (headphone jack issue) and went to an Apple store to ask about repairs their first question was if it was less than 2 years old; so I'd say 2+ years is when you'd have a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Laptop - 3 years, replaced after SCC judgement.
    TV - 2.5 yrs replaced after SCC papers submitted.
    Microwave - 3 years - refunded after SCC papers submitted.

On a side note...
    A dropped Kindle that I was completely honest about - replaced! Always buy your kindle direct from Amazon, superb service.

• Advertisement

Re apple issue - When the manufacturer is the seller of the 'care' packages it becomes in their interest to ensure the products fail.
    Reality is when a product fails and the 'care' system used, people praise them for the service when they should be critical of the product.
    Damn human nature...
    I would be more than happy to take Apple to the SCC but the 2 items I have of theirs just won't break, dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ozmo wrote: »
    Samsung 40Inch TV - 2 years 1 month old.

I assume you're pursuing this with the retailer and the SCC, its a no brained that a TV that merely sits in the corner of a room should last considerably longer than 2 years - barring actual physical damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Can we keep this on topic - its is accepted that the AppleCare is extended warranty and not insurance. Anyone else have success claiming warranty issues outside of the year under the SOG act?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Also looking at experiences here anyone who takes a case seems to win. Is there anything that can be done about companies who repeatedly refuse to acknowledge their obligations under that act.

Its hardly fair that every single person who wants to exercise this right should have to go to SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In relation to apple, it's really the mobile stores that would be taken to the scc, as they are the retailers. There are plenty of threats of the scc on the 'talk to' section here. I cant recall anyone winning.

apple even explain everything here.... but fail to mention the sogas act at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

theteal wrote: »
    I assume you're pursuing this with the retailer and the SCC, its a no brained that a TV that merely sits in the corner of a room should last considerably longer than 2 years - barring actual physical damage

Retailer and manufacturer wouldnt budge after numerous calls.
    Ive never had experience with scc.. But on finding this forum I will definitely keep it in mind the next thing that fails so soon... Thanks.

I ended up repairing the TV myself in the end. Wasnt too hard to do. Posted details on another thread in this forum...

“Roll it back”

wingnut wrote: »
    Also looking at experiences here anyone who takes a case seems to win. Is there anything that can be done about companies who repeatedly refuse to acknowledge their obligations under that act.

Its hardly fair that every single person who wants to exercise this right should have to go to SCC.

Just get the papers filed at the SCC, is no bother really. Key issue is making the application to the correct place, normally where the business is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Given Apple's are now just PCs with a very expensive operating systems and a nicely designed case there really shouldn't be an issue with them going pop. Many of the manufactuers of the parts give very long guarantees when the same parts are used in PCs so I would be very dubious if Apple try and limit claims to a year or even two.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wildflower

just posted a new threads then spotted this. i bought an iphone 4s from meteor 2 weeks ago and it kept dropping calls and freeszing net so took back after 3 days and meteor shop wouldnt even talk to me- direct me to customer care. no joy there either, im in 2 yr contract, but iv put the phone back in box as i dont want it. but after research this is a sim issue- sim meteor sell is 32k and 4s needs 128k sim, told meteor this- still no joy.
    should i take them to scc? i have contact comreg and they said i might have to.
    will i win or is this a waste of time?

Advertisement