Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

street lights

• 05-05-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

any reason they are orange colour. Why not use a white blub in the lamps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

White lights are for Batman only

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No idea, but I assume it has something to do with the brits, those prod bastards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cena wrote: »
    any reason they are orange colour. Why not use a white blub in the lamps
    Orange street lights are common in most London boroughs. They certainly are where I live, about 1.5 miles from the river.

The original [and existing] purpose of the orange street lights, is they can penetrate fog extremely well. I cannot remember the last time we had fog here, but you just never know, especially with the River Thames so close.

This link below will explain the orange street lamp : -

Sodium vapor lamp - Wikipedia, As a result they are widely used for outdoor lighting such as street lights ... dark pink glow when first struck, and a pinkish orange light when warmed up. ...
    http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_…;

See also here: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100718134149AApl2xX

The main drawback to the orange street lamp, which I only found out when I was called as a witness and was quite unable to be sure what colour top the guy was wearing who did the bad deed. So, case dismissed.

Some London boroughs, I think Wandsworth, have already got rid of their orange street lamps and replaced them with white light. Keeps the bad guys off the streets - that's the theory anyway.
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070910114516AATcjYN

See also here: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100718134149AApl2xX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

For some reason I prefer the orange ones, The old rectangular orange ones from the late 70's 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I don't think it's an orange bulb, it's a current being passed through sodium gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They are SOX lamps, sodium glows orange,yellow when heated. Its a chemical reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No to orange lamps

We want green

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

They had to change all the light colours because of the amount of light emitting from earth into space. It was causing issues (to aliens I'm assuming) so they had to change them all.

True story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Thought it was to do with foggy weather ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The yellow sodium lamps are extremely energy efficient too.

PS not all street lighting is yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Highest efficacy lamp available, 180 lumens per watt. We dont use them in other locations because of their bad colour rendering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think it's mostly down to the fact that the sodium bulbs are the most cost efficient.

EDIT: what Mr Biscuit said ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Because the difference between the energy levels of excited Sodium electrons emits the difference as its characteristic colour, which in this case is Orange.

*excuse me for sounding like a fecking geek in AH. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because the difference between the energy levels of excited Sodium electrons emits the difference as its characteristic colour, which in this case is Orange.
    Orange ?

They start out as red neon lights until they get hot enough to light up the sodium emissions

90% of the light is at 589.0 and 589.6 nm

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

They make you look so tan. ;):confused:

I liked them at their early red stage when I was a kid because they reminded me of these:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Also, it's technically not a chemical reaction.

Lads in fairness, it's Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Sky King wrote: »

Yet here we are....

• Advertisement

I know.

So anyway, which do you prefer, high pressure sodium lighting or low pressure sodium lighting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Yet here we all are fascinated by the colour of street lights.

Sad times indeed.

High pressure cost more to run but this is offset by the broader spectrum their light affords.

There is some neon gas mixed with the sodium as neon is easier to ignite at low pressure, thats why they are red initially. The pressure will increase over the next few minutes and the sodium will discharge causing the yellow glow.

Heh heh heh...... discharge

I know.

So anyway, which do you prefer, high pressure sodium lighting or low pressure sodium lighting?

I think a better question is sodium versus mercury

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know.

low for light pollution reasons

Fire engines have big areas that aren't red these days.

Advertisement