Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended kit and reviews .

Options
  • 05-05-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi just taught i start a post for a few recommendations for kit for outdoor pursuits , camping hiking hunting etc .

First on list is multitool
    I would highly recommend a leatherman charge tti . Great multitool as everthing does the job as is supposed to i.e. needle nose pilers is good as a real pilers , screw driver is geat ect

Camping stove
    Bought a jetboil pcs bout a year ago . Great bit of kit . Very quick to boil water and compact . I recommend buying potsupport wit it also though as you can the use frying pans/mesh tins on the stove

Hydration system
    I recommend buying a camelbak brand one . Myself and friends had other types but were prone to leaking . Nothing worse then carry something up the side of mountain to find it had leaked and you have little water and fear is soaked . They are fairly robst . Can fill them up wit hot water which makes a decent hot water bottle . And sterile water to drink in the morning . Tip : put them in freezer to kill any bacteria that may have built up while not in use .

Head torch
    Petzl tikka tactical very handy when need handsfree job . Expensive enough but i have had mine for years and there isnt many that can beat it . There is also flip down red filter

Torch
    Recentily bought led lenser p7 great torch for its size . (brighter than large maglite ) have to properly field test it first

ZiPlock bags .
    Very useful for keeping kit dry and organised . Every bit Aas good as dry bags if not better due to there transperesency . Help "vacum Pack kit " . For example place a tshirt in ziplock bag close bag three quaters the way squeeze as much air out as possible and seal the bag .

Heavy duty bin bags

Once again can be used as dryliner for bag . can be made into makeshift poncho . A seat for wet ground . For its weight definatily worth bringing .

Duct tape

Possibly the best thing for running repairs . Have used it to hold boots together while on the side of a mountain . Once again since its lightwiegth worth carrying

These are just a few recommended pieces of kit
    If any one else has any to add please do.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have a Princeton Tec Apex Pro head torch, really can't recommend it enough. its bright enough to take caving and the battery pack is small as it takes CR-123 lithium batteries. Mine is 150 lumens, but I see the newer model is 200.

The batteries are pricey but you can get them cheap as chips online. The battery life is also great. I got mine for only about 60 euros off e-bay, a Petzl torch with the same capability would probably cost 2 or 3 times as much.

Also rather than using heavy duty bin bags I would suggest getting a set of dry bags like these:

Lightweight%20Dry%20Sack%20for%20website.jpg

You can pack things down pretty small in them which means you can fit more in your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jackdarabbit

Got one of those dry bags in aldi , two years ago quite cheap , good bit of kit for hiking ,also good for surfing/water sports for putting a wet wet suit into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Tip : put them in freezer to kill any bacteria that may have built up while not in use .

Milton steriliser is better. If it's good enough for baby bottles it's good enough for your hydration bladder.

For hiking/overnight camping a hexistove is a winner. Combined with a mess tray you can boil water in 3 minutes and it's extremely lightweight. Aldi did them recently for €3. If you run out of tablets you can just use firelighters.

Food
    The Wayfayrer ready to eay stuff is perfect when combined with the hexi above. Carry a couple of litres in your bladder and use half a litre to heat up your food. Dual purpose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jackdarabbit

bump

Advertisement