Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trim Question

• 05-05-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,
    got myself a SSD from crucial last week and installed in HDD slot of my MBP and moved the old HDD to the optical bay. All is working great.
    I installed 10.7.3 on to it from an image of Lion I put on an external drive. I then migrated all my User data and applications except Music / movies photos etc. from the old HDD.
    Here's the problem: When I check system report when booted up from SSD it says "Trim Support No" on the SSD
    When I boot from HDD and click SSD within System report it says "Trim Support Yes"

My question is, do you think trim is enabled on the new SSD or not?

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

TRIM isn't supported for non Apple SSDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

I'm aware of that but there is a terminal command that can be run to enable it. after it's done its still doesn't say it s supported but does on original HDD system report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

I have a m4 in my macbook with trim enabled, Heres the guide I used to enable trim.

Works perfectly, you will have to do the terminal commands after every big update to enable trim

kTcl8s.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What terminal command? I thought there was just some well-dodgy app that hex edited a driver to enable it.

Anyway, it's not necessary with the M4. It's passive garbage collection is okay.

EDIT: Oh, the terminal command just hex edits the driver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Yeah, that's the guide I used. still doesn't enable it though. The weird thing is that it says it's enabled on the drive when i boot from old drive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I wouldn't touch that TRIM enabler app with a 50foot barge pole.
    Way to dodgy if you ask me.

I have a vertex II drive from ocz without TRIM enabled. OP it runs blindingly fast with not TRIM anyhow and I havne't noticed slow down since I got it.

I woulnd't worry about it if I were you!

See how you go without TRIM for a bit - you must likely won't miss it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I don't believe trim is required on the M4 crucial SSD's it was for older ones.

Advertisement