Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology.

• 05-05-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

well its a huge course, and im just wondering what the approach should be for the next couple of weeks?

Exam papers or just keep learning the book?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just learn from the book and do the odd exam question. I can't even recall doing a single full exam paper for biology last year. If last year's exam is anything to go by, they're going for a different style of questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Just learn from the book and do the odd exam question. I can't even recall doing a single full exam paper for biology last year. If last year's exam is anything to go by, they're going for a different style of questions.
    thanks for the reply!!

ill be honest I haven't touched exam papers all year just leaning the book and revision book, the only exam questions i've seen are in tests, but its getting quite time consuming now to be learning the book:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Sunny!! wrote: »
    thanks for the reply!!

ill be honest I haven't touched exam papers all year just leaning the book and revision book, the only exam questions i've seen are in tests, but its getting quite time consuming now to be leaning the book:(
    Ignore any irrelevant material. Trivial material isn't likely to be examined, they're always looking to make sure you know and understand the key concepts.

The same goes for all subjects. If you focus on *all* the material you'll get bogged down. You need to stay focused on the key concepts and material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Ignore any irrelevant material. Trivial material isn't likely to be examined, they're always looking to make sure you know and understand the key concepts.

The same goes for all subjects. If you focus on *all* the material you'll get bogged down. You need to stay focused on the key concepts and material

Revision book that cuts the waffle and exam papers best shot i think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

well its a huge course, and im just wondering what the approach should be for the next couple of weeks?

I would advise sticking with just exam papers and using them in conjunction with the book for key topics. I can't remember ever using the Biology textbook in 6th year. I think it's folens that does a very nice fold out revision booklet for Biology, I found it very useful. Entire topics such as photosynthesis and respiration can almost be condensed into flow charts which you can then infer your answers from! (e.g The calvin cycle etc.) I'm not an expert by any means, but I did get an A and I found it to be one of the easiest subjects I took.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

What I'm doing is first just highlighting what I think is important. If you are unsure if you should study a certain section, just ask a teacher. After reading the chapter I then read the same chapter in the revision book. After that I do some exam questions on the chapter I studied.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Bio is a difficult one to revise.
    Best thing to do is sit down, do a past paper with no timing (or even a few questions) but don't use your'e book as an aid.
    Answer the questions as best you can and you'll probably know the ones you got wrong or the ones you guessed.
    Note any questions you didn't know. Then when you've build up a list of about 20 questions, use your book to get the answers. Write out the 20 questions and their answers from the book (or better the marking scheme) and that sheet is you're revision for the evening :)

Theres a lot to learn in Bio, but at the same time, theres very little material thats actually difficult to learn. So if you've sat through all you're classes, you probably know 70-80% of the material. Therefore the challenge is in identifying that last 20% you don't know. Therefore by reading your book, you waist 80% of your time rereading. By using the method I outlined above, your'e at 100% efficiency

Biology is a huge syllabus, like you said. They can't ask you every topic and every question, but they will ask a lot of questions "eg. what is a hypothesis" over and over again and they will ask the same topics over and over (eg. genetics). Therefore, by learning how to answer the questions they ask, you're gonna beat the people who have just learned the material.

Source: straight A1's in bio 5th and 6th year

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

jos360 wrote: »
    Bio is a difficult one to revise.
    Best thing to do is sit down, do a past paper with no timing (or even a few questions) but don't use your'e book as an aid.
    Answer the questions as best you can and you'll probably know the ones you got wrong or the ones you guessed.
    Note any questions you didn't know. Then when you've build up a list of about 20 questions, use your book to get the answers. Write out the 20 questions and their answers from the book (or better the marking scheme) and that sheet is you're revision for the evening :)

Theres a lot to learn in Bio, but at the same time, theres very little material thats actually difficult to learn. So if you've sat through all you're classes, you probably know 70-80% of the material. Therefore the challenge is in identifying that last 20% you don't know. Therefore by reading your book, you waist 80% of your time rereading. By using the method I outlined above, your'e at 100% efficiency

Biology is a huge syllabus, like you said. They can't ask you every topic and every question, but they will ask a lot of questions "eg. what is a hypothesis" over and over again and they will ask the same topics over and over (eg. genetics). Therefore, by learning how to answer the questions they ask, you're gonna beat the people who have just learned the material.

Source: straight A1's in bio 5th and 6th year
    Thats some very good advice :)
    Must take that on board for the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Props to the OP for making this thread, Biology is one of my worst subjects RN so this is all good advice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Im not sure what book you have but we never ever used ours.
    Our teacher gives us notes and Ive been using a revision book.
    Apperently much of the books is completley irrelevent.
    Units 1 or 2 are meant to be focused on more I think, and experiments.
    And ecology and genetics are definates. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

essentials unfloded for biology is all im saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

i finally have my unit 3 notes up! :)
    pm me if ye want a link to them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Bubbleope wrote: »
    i finally have my unit 3 notes up! :)
    pm me if ye want a link to them. :)

PM sent:)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

rkeano5 wrote: »
    PM sent:)

link sent! :)

btw i have notes on all the units online now so if anyone at all wants to just have a read or anything just pm for the links! :)

Advertisement