Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bills do you pay? (2012)

Options
  • 06-05-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭

What bills do you (or your housemates) pay? (Don't include those paid by your landlord).

EDIT: Link to this year's polls: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056630549

What bills do you (or your housemates) pay? (Multiple choices allowed) 580 votes

Electricity (ESB / Electric Ireland)
    0% 0 votes
    Electricity (Bord Gáis)
    8% 47 votes
    Electricity (Airtricity)
    4% 27 votes
    Electricity (Other)
    4% 26 votes
    Gas (Bord Gáis)
    0% 3 votes
    Gas (Other)
    4% 27 votes
    Oil
    2% 17 votes
    Refuse collection (council)
    3% 20 votes
    Refuse collection (other)
    1% 9 votes
    Water (Council)
    8% 50 votes
    Water (Other)
    0% 0 votes
    TV Licence
    0% 2 votes
    Cable TV
    12% 70 votes
    Satellite TV
    7% 43 votes
    Internet (fixed)
    5% 33 votes
    Internet (mobile)
    7% 41 votes
    Combined Internet / Phone (fixed)
    2% 15 votes
    Combined Internet / Phone (mobile)
    7% 42 votes
    Phone (fixed)
    1% 9 votes
    Phone (mobile)
    0% 4 votes
    Alarm monitoring
    8% 51 votes
    Home Insurance (buildings & contents)
    0% 2 votes
    Home Insurance (contents only)
    3% 22 votes
    Management company fees / building maintenance charge
    3% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Pay 1,110 euros for a really big 2 bed apt in the IFSC. The apt comes with a parking space at no extra charge. Not always a given in this neck of the woods.

Pay 60 euros per month to UPC for broadband internet, land line phone & cable telly package.
    Am in the last month of my 60 quid package. If they don't cut me a deal when it expires, I'll drop them for land line phone & telly & just get a Saorview box. I only use the land line to call my sister in the States, as it is much, much more expensive to call her from my mobile. Got a great deal from UPC, 500 minutes of calls to the US for just a fiver a month. But I will jack it in and rely more on emails and Skype more if UPC don't play ball with me.

Pay about 20 quid about every 2-3 months for a pre paid O2 mobile phone. Most of my family are on the O2 network, so it doesn't cost anything to call them. Don't have a smart phone, so the 20 quid just covers calls and texts to non O2 mobiles and landlines.

ESB is about 50-100 quid a month, depending on the time of year & how often we have the heat on. Don't have a dishwasher or dryer, and I only run the washing machine after midnight. Would probably be higher if I had a washer/dryer & dishwasher & using them all during the day time. I work from home, so I have the telly on, the lap top & printer on, and am using lights and electricity & heating more than peeps would who are out during the day at regular jobs.

Am in an apt so refuse, water, bin collection, NPPR, household charges are not my responsibility. Had 4 visits from a plumber this year alone due to immersion not working properly. Very happy that that the cost of that is the land lords problem & not mine.

Don't have house contents insurance. It is on my list of things to do/buy but just never go around to it.

Guess that's about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,522 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ESB 100 every 2 months
    gas 120 every 2 months
    heslthcare 114 every month
    upc tv internet 88 every month.
    Tv licence 160 a year.
    Rent 1150 a month.
    Bins 30 a month.
    Mobile 25 a month
    Car tax about 30 a month
    Car insurance about 30 a month.
    Also got petrol and food etc....

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I only run the washing machine after midnight. Would probably be higher if I had a washer/dryer & dishwasher & using them all during the day time. I work from home, so I have the telly on, the lap top & printer on, and am using lights and electricity & heating more than peeps would who are out during the day at regular jobs.

I seriously doubt you've a night saver meter in your apartment. So no difference in running electricity at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Didn't see an option for Cable internet, also pay for health insurance.

Vahevala wrote: »
    Didn't see an option for Cable internet, also pay for health insurance.
    Internet fixed, its up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

A lot seem to pay the TV licence....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Family of 3 in 4 Bed apartment.

Electricity €114 every 2 months - Airtricity. Dishwasher and washing machine/dryer combi used a lot. PC used, tv and games console on for kid etc, 2nd freezer. Don't use the dryer tho, just wash clothers and hang em on clothes horse.

Gas - In summer it's about 50 every 2 months or 100 every 2 months in winter. Gas hob oven with electric oven. Gas boiler used for heating downstairs shower which is better than electric shower. No water tank or immersion, so hot water as soon as gas boiler goes on but no way to store hot water, we generally use it for showers only and leave it off.

Vodafone phone and BB with free landline calls all day - €45 per month and a few other calls so I generally stick €65 a month away for it

Sky - €25 per month - made several complaints and was given some services free and they were not switched off so assume a glitch on their system. I'm not calling to tell them either.

Have a mobile but only stick €20 on it every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Large two bed duplex for €850 per month. Management company fees and waste collection included in rent.

Electricity with Bord Gais is usually around €120 every 2 months
    Gas with Bord Gais is usually around €100 every 2 months in winter & €60 in summer
    UPC (100m broadband, phone & tv) for €100 a month
    TV Licence of €160 a year

ted1 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt you've a night saver meter in your apartment. So no difference in running electricity at night.

I do. I took a reading off it when I moved in to give to the ESB. There were 2 dials, one for day time usage and one for night time usage. I also get my bills broken down, night time vs day time usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

81% have TV (Cable 54%, Satellite 27%), 65% pay the licence. Assuming that nobody has both cable and satellite TV ...
    Car tax about 30 a month
    also pay for health insurance.
    This poll is in the Accommodation & Property forum, so these don't quite count. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

4 bed flat with 4 of students living here, £950/month
    Because we're students, no council tax or water charges, about £2300 for the year.
    Gas/Elec £120/month
    Sky £45 - tv/internet/phone

Fast food deliveries - £500/month!

£15/month contents insurance for myself - so high because our last place burnt down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Victor wrote: »
    81% have TV (Cable 54%, Satellite 27%), 65% pay the licence. Assuming that nobody has both cable and satellite TV ...

Some people are not paying the tv licence :eek:

Victor wrote: »
    Car tax about 30 a month
    also pay for health insurance.
    This poll is in the Accommodation & Property forum, so these don't quite count. :)
    There bills i'm paying, wish they didn't count. ;)

ProudDUB wrote: »

I do. I took a reading off it when I moved in to give to the ESB. There were 2 dials, one for day time usage and one for night time usage. I also get my bills broken down, night time vs day time usage.
    Fair play, i'm heavily involved in energy management and you'd be surprised the amount of times people think there on a night saver tariff and there only on a 24hr one.

All of the apts in my apt building have them. It's not just my apt. There are about 12 buildings on the property, and as we all have identical looking meter stations on the side of our buildings, I imagine everyone has the same set up as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Electricity 200 every two months.
    Sky 37 every month.
    Internet & home phone 40 every month.
    Oil 750 every winter.
    tv licence 160 annually.
    Refuse (private) 25 monthly.
    mobile phone 20 monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Large two bed duplex for €850 per month. Management company fees and waste collection included in rent.

Electricity with Bord Gais is usually around €120 every 2 months
    Gas with Bord Gais is usually around €100 every 2 months in winter & €60 in summer
    UPC (100m broadband, phone & tv) for €100 a month
    TV Licence of €160 a year

where are you getting a large two bed duplex for 850 p/m ??? anymore available :D

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

edellc wrote: »
    where are you getting a large two bed duplex for 850 p/m ??? anymore available :D

Swords! :)

Might not be to everyone's taste but we love it here. We've been here a while now and there is little contact with the landlord (which suits us) so you'd probably get one cheaper again in the area. We haven't bothered asking for a reduction as we're happy as we are really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Fair play, i'm heavily involved in energy management and you'd be surprised the amount of times people think there on a night saver tariff and there only on a 24hr one.

From my experience of apartments any place that has storage heating will have night saver electricity; certainly the vast majority of places I have looked at in my area have night saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Sharing with partner so everything is pretty much split in half.

What I pay..

Electricity - €30 (every two months)
    Bins - €10 (monthly)
    Rent - €140 (monthly)
    Internet - €20 (monthly)
    Tv license - €80 (yearly)
    Sky - €15 (monthly)
    Oil - Don't use any in Summer in Winter usually put €10 towards it per Winter months.
    Mobile - €5+

€210 per month roughly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement