Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Next Year

• 06-05-2012 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey I was wondering if anyone could suggest a 7th subject that I could learn in one year if I repeat next year? I won't be doing English again because it's a completely different course and I'm terrible at it.

I asked around and several people said that Physics would be too difficult to cover in a year. Would anyone know if Religion or Geography could be covered in a year maybe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

As far as I know, Ag Science is a one year course.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Ag will be one of my original 6. To clarify the other 5 will be: Irish, German, Ag, Biology, Chemistry and Math.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Applied maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

The phys/chem course is really short if you're interested in physics. Our class covered it in one year, then a load of repeats took it up and are also doing it in one year! There's loads of choice so it's easy to just do enough to cover you for the exam. :) And the exam questions are really repetitive and predictable!

Edit: Just saw that you're already doing chemistry, that rules that out so!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

I wouldn't recommend doing geography because it is actually quite a long course. However, Ag. Science is definitely a course you could do in a year, especially if you are doing biology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Definitely ag science. If I repeat next year I'll be doing German, geography, biology, and I'll take up music, ag science and home ec. Curse my crappy 5th year subject choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Already doing Ag this time around. How difficult is Applied Maths? Could I cvoer it myself? I'm around a B Honours Maths student

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Hey I was wondering if anyone could suggest a 7th subject that I could learn in one year if I repeat next year? I won't be doing English again because it's a completely different course and I'm terrible at it.

I asked around and several people said that Physics would be too difficult to cover in a year. Would anyone know if Religion or Geography could be covered in a year maybe?
    Do Economics, seriously. I guarantee you'd get at least a B grade with a little bit of work and a heap of exam questions. Took it up myself this time last year in 5th year and got an A2 in the Pre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Business, it's ridiculously easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

business/economics.
    Wouldnt go near geography! Too big to be done properly in a year imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Business, it's ridiculously easy.
    I agree, but I do think it is difficult to achieve an A1. You need to know the course, timing and answer techniques like the back of your hand to get the A1. I've put in so much time for Business over the last 2 years, and thankfully in the 2 mocks I completed, I got A1's in both of them. I do feel however that people think it's a guaranteed A1 without ever studying it. It's a lot more complex than the Paper appears as the Marking Scheme can be extremely tedious!

Saying that, I do agree with you that it would be very easy to get a B3/B2 in it, an A1 would be a lot more difficult to achieve!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I repeated this year, I took up Economics. It's not too bad if you put a lot of work into it plus there a choice of 4 questions out of 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grainneaine

I do geography as an extra subject and it is definitely the easiest one to cover on your own..If you work on it through the summer and very hard during the year etc then you should have it covered, but remember about the fieldwork as that could be awkward to do on your own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I'd definately go with Geography.
    Really easy in IMO, dont think the course is actually all that big, and easily done in a year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

The course is rather big in geography...but they only examine tiny bits of it, it's actually insane. You'd easily cover it in a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Patchy~ wrote: »
    The course is rather big in geography...but they only examine tiny bits of it, it's actually insane. You'd easily cover it in a year!

Yeah but if you were looking for an A1 you need to know the whole course.
    But if you want a B1/B2 then defo. go for geog:)

Advertisement