Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussies in Ireland

Options
  • 06-05-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

So I believe there are a few of you around. Would be nice to hear how you are enjoying life on good ole Eire!! Are you here long....passing through or putting down roots?
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly..:D ...so to speak!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

There aint to many of us left here now, there used to loads when i first got here in 2001 i was in Dublin first, was supposed to be staying there for a good while, but after 3 weeks i had had enough of the place and shifted to Galway, even now if i have to go to Dublin its only a day trip, straight up and straight out as fast as i can, as far as a city goes its not for me.

Galway, love the place, ive still got friends up there that i still catch up with 9 years after leaving there, a different type of person.

Got to Cork in 2003, its a good size town (i refuse to call it a city, if you can see fields on the far side of the "city" its not a city, if you pass cows from airport to the city it aint a city, i could go on), i like the place and the people, once again they are a different type of person, i worked with mostly Norries during the boom, if you cant laugh with them you find yourself laughing at them. Thats all changed now im working with mostly Poles, my Paddy mate came back from Oz there 3 weeks ago so i got him his old job back but i had to get rid of 2 Poles in the process as the Boss does not like arguing with them, so at least im in the novel position of working with a Irishman in Ireland.

One thing thats hard to crack is the Parrish mentality, if young fellas have not known you for 20 years they wont make the effort, its funny seeing the Irish saying the same thing about Australia as if its only a Australian trait, its not get over it. im starting to have fun with some (only a few so far) Irish coming back from Australia saying its a dump or what ever, the first question asked back is, How long did you stay for? every time so far is "2 years" If its so bad why stay there for as long as humanly possible, Spanners. a few more questions normally reveal that they are knob head tiger cubs who did not have their Mammy there to wipe arse nose for them for the first time.

In general im happy enough here, im working all the time and the Wife is still on very good money so life is more than comfortable, i dont think i would be happy to stay here if not for a full time job, but after selling the house in Brisbane over 12 months ago, heading back would be harder this time around and buying here would make it even harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

This forum is for travel to ANZ.

Feel free to repost in AH!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement