Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinda looking foward to going home

Options
  • 06-05-2012 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Dont get me wrong Ive enjoyed my time in Australia, But when I came out I thought Id do anything to stay over here but I seem to be swinging towards going home and then doing newzealand instead, Ive been in Sydney 7 months and the people just dont seem friendly, Generally speaking the guys are total posers in love with themselfs, The girls are more friendly but compared to the backpackers arent even close, Just wondering is anyone feeling the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It might be a good idea to get out of Sydney and try somewhere else for awhile. What are you into re hobbies etc? What are you working at? Would you be prepared to do your 3 months somewhere?
    Doing that you are more likely to meet a friendlier bunch of people. At least give another place a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

astonaidan wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong Ive enjoyed my time in Australia, But when I came out I thought Id do anything to stay over here but I seem to be swinging towards going home and then doing newzealand instead, Ive been in Sydney 7 months and the people just dont seem friendly, Generally speaking the guys are total posers in love with themselfs, The girls are more friendly but compared to the backpackers arent even close, Just wondering is anyone feeling the same

I'd say that's a fairly sweeping generalization more than anything else. Yes, in general Sydney people are a little materialistic, I think this is common in most large cities and yes, in general they are probably less friendly than the Irish. But there are lots of good people here and I think the above advice about finding a hobby or an interest (tag rugby, triathlon club, etc.) will get you involved with more people.

Having said that, I'm rather looking forward to heading back. I like it a lot here, but Ireland is Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Do a bit of travelling first before you go home and tell people how overrated Australia is based on your visit to one large city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

OP I know its cliche, but the best thing about Australia is getting out into the wilds, it can be breathtaking and is well worth coming so far for. Buy a van, get some buddies and hit the road.

The cities are alright (Melbourne and Sydney are decent), but I would say they arent worth venturing so far for on their own and it would be a pity to base your whole trip around living in them.

This is my fourth 'overseas experience' (not including England) and Im looking forward to getting back home already, even though Ive another six months on my visa. I must be getting long in the tooth.

Advertisement