Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone work at the Haribo plant in Finglas?

• 06-05-2012 3:56am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

<3 Haribo.

Must be the best job in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I wish dude, I wish. Never even knew it was there. :eek:
    We should try and crash the place, get a fake uniform, say we're from headquarters, quality control check.

omnyomnyomnyomnyomnyom.

you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I once met someone who worked in Argos, turns out theres no elves involved, its all pretty straight forward really, what a shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Congratulations OP. How many years did it take you to get in there. Trying to feel good about your menial factory job, eh? Aw well, at least the Haribo sweets might keep you happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

in haribo, gummy bears are viewed as legal tender and workers wages come in the form of them. true story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Never appealed to me, never even bought a packet. Visually it doesn't appeal to me, the blue the red, just two colours that don't go together. Blue isn't an appetising colour. Transparent plastic aswell cheapens the whole thing. Possibly nice sweets? I won't know unless they sort out the packaging first. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Never appealed to me, never even bought a packet. Visually it doesn't appeal to me, the blue the red, just two colours that don't go together. Blue isn't an appetising colour. Transparent plastic aswell cheapens the whole thing. Possibly nice sweets? I won't know unless they sort out the packaging first. Thanks.

but the pack tastes lovely!

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Sweet job, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Haribo.....not a patch on Natural Confectionery Co. Love the jelly squirms.

Haribi....where Cola Bottles taste the same as Fried Eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Pedant wrote: »
    Trying to feel good about your menial factory job, eh? .

Wow! look down on people much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

racso1975 wrote: »

The name gives it away, surely. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

EdenHazard wrote: »
    in haribo, gummy bears are viewed as legal tender and workers wages come in the form of them. true story

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

No; but when I was a teenager (about twenty years ago) I did work experience for a week in a sweet factory in Carlow. I took out of date Easter eggs out of their boxes and broke them into pieces all day. When there was enough broken pieces I would bring them to another part of the factory and throw them into a machine where they would be melted down and turned into 'new' chocolate bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

racso1975 wrote: »

<*Activates Bastard Mode*>

They're looked down on for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

A pedantic bastard? Great...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Pedant wrote: »
    Congratulations OP. How many years did it take you to get in there. Trying to feel good about your menial factory job, eh? Aw well, at least the Haribo sweets might keep you happy.

Not inclined to think he works there, think he WANTS to work there, which is a shame, just means your smart arsery has gone to waste a bit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yuck, gelatin is used in the making which is derived from the insides of animal skins and bones. Eww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's probably much like working in a South African diamond mine, where cavity searches are the norm for the staff when they go home.

Putting the smuggled sweets back in the factory system Is probably the reason why Haribo sweets taste like sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

I have an image of Haribo workers leaving work looking like Marge when she was at the candy convention...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Rowntree's Randoms FTW.

*A black man approached me and said, "Can you tell me how to get to the train station, please?"
    I said, "Certainly, monkey face. You go past the jerk chicken, around the grape soda and, Muhammad's your cotton-picker, it's opposite the watermelon."
    I'm thinking to myself, "That's the last time I eat those ****ing Rowntree's Randoms!"

*May not have happend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

EdenHazard wrote: »
    ya, but that's because it's in Finglas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Rowntree's Randoms FTW.

*A black man approached me and said, "Can you tell me how to get to the train station, please?"
    I said, "Certainly, monkey face. You go past the jerk chicken, around the grape soda and, Muhammad's your cotton-picker, it's opposite the watermelon."
    I'm thinking to myself, "That's the last time I eat those ****ing Rowntree's Randoms!"

*May not have happend.

:mad: Thats just so wrong. I cant actually believe I read that.

Sure isnt it beside the watermelon?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

girl i used to work with jelly til i told her it had pork gelatine in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my brothers briefly worked in a bakery and at the end of the day they got to bring home all the leftover muffins and cookies. It was a great few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

phasers wrote: »
    my brothers briefly worked in a bakery and at the end of the day they got to bring home all the leftover muffins and cookies. It was a great few months.

i was like that when i worked in bewleys years ago. i used to go home with loads of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I love those fried eggs and the jellies with the white part on the back. Yummy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I used to work in a sweet factory years ago(closed down now)but we used to make Liquorice Allsorts.
    Before I worked there I always wondered why when you got a bag of liquorice allsorts that there was ever only one of the blue jelly things that were covered in little beady things.
    It's because everyone in the factory eats them before they are packed:D

I miss that job:(

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

After seeing how jelly sweets like haribo are made on supersize vs superskinny a few weeks back I was put off for life... can't find the clip on youtube but it was one of the few times a video like that put me off a food for good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Rowntree's Randoms FTW.

*An African American man approached me and said, "Can you tell me how to get to the train station, please?"
    I said, "Certainly sir. You go past the town clock, around the grass park and, Bob's your Uncle, it's opposite the Bus Station."
    I'm thinking to myself, "Now I can eat those ****ing Rowntree's Randoms like a boss"

*May not have happend.

There, FYP for a PC audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

EGAR wrote: »
    Yuck, gelatin is used in the making which is derived from the insides of animal skins and bones. Eww

Yeah... and eggs are a hens period.
    Whatcha gonna do?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

EGAR wrote: »

Well if the animals are being slaughtered for their meat and hides there's very little point not using whatever else the poor animal has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

Jayo and the gummy bear factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

cassel16 wrote: »
    I have an image of Haribo workers leaving work looking like Marge when she was at the candy convention...

All right, you're going to have to put sugar on that celery or get out, ma'am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I used to work in Bakery in Superquinn, every Friday night i would take all the leftover cream cakes and bring em to the pub for the lads with a few pints.

The barstaff all call me "Buns" now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Dont mean to burst your bubble OP,but it can be a bit dangerous too,poor lad died there in a work related accident

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When I was a boy, I used to wear the hairbo rings, one on each finger, I would pretend to be Henry VIII. However, the rings on my fingers lasted as long as his wives, as their sweetness was too much to reside on my finger for long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

When I was a boy, I used to wear the hairbo rings, one on each finger, I would pretend to be Henry VIII. However, the rings on my fingers lasted as long as his wives, as their sweetness was too much to reside on my finger for long.

:eek::eek::eek:
    No spiderman for you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

i used to do service work there on some of the machinery. Its funny though i always used to arrive just before the workers went for lunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Haribo is long gone out of Finglas OP, they closed down in 2007 after an explosion that killed a worker and as far as I know production got moved abroad in the aftermath rather than repair the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Dotsey wrote: »
    Haribo is long gone out of Finglas OP, they closed down in 2007 after an explosion that killed a worker and as far as I know production got moved abroad in the aftermath rather than repair the place

Yeah that poor guy died 4 and a half years ago, I think it happened in October 2007. I was doing 4th year work experience up the road from their when I heard about it.

Finglas may have many of it's negative points, but when the bakery & haribo were still open it was a joy to walk down that same road:D

Oh and Manhattan Peanuts is still open so you get a sensational popcorn smell at certain times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

What century did you grow up? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Yeah that poor guy died 4 and a half years ago, I think it happened in October 2007. I was doing 4th year work experience up the road from their when I heard about it.

Finglas may have many of it's negative points, but when the bakery & haribo were still open it was a joy to walk down that same road:D

Oh and Manhattan Peanuts is still open so you get a sensational popcorn smell at certain times of the day.

My primary school wasn't far from there. I don't even like popcorn but the smell used to have me starving.
    As for working in them i'd imagine they're more like malibu stacys dream factory than wonkas. "hey leeroy, there's a jam in the cola bottle tube." "shut you hole"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My dad used to work as a baker, needless to say pancake tuesday lasted weeks(:

Advertisement