Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAAC gate's will not close

Options
  • 06-05-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I am enquiring about FAAC underground system (about 4 years old) for a neighbour. The gates are stuck open and will not close. How can I fault find , check if the beams etc are working correctly. There is a switch wired in to keep the gates open - suspect this. If I short this out (with power removed) will this rule out this switch as when I place meter across it has very high resistance . How can I find out the model FAAC - will this be on the cct board somewhere. I have CAME system myself so have an understanding on how they work. ANy help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Check the beam- wave your hand across it you should here a click and red led should turn off. The switch in side keeps the gate open by making contact so if resistance is high here i doubt the switch is the problem.Disconnect one of the cables from switch and wait for closing time-out to complete.
    After that check for power going to control panel, could be fuse gone in panel.

These checks should narrow it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

There could be a couple of reasons why they will not close.

You should start at the basics first:

Make sure you have power at the gates,you might have mains power at the board but a fuse could have gone on the accessories side.

Wave your hand in front of the photocells,one of them should click with a red light coming on.
    If theres no click then its possible theres a faulty photocell assuming the main control board is ok and all fuses are ok.
    Remove the cover off the receiver photocell(usually the one closest to the control board)its the one with 4 wires,positive,negative,common and switch wire.Short out the common and switch wire and see if the gates work.Make sure the switch in the house is set to allow the gate to close.

If the photocells seem ok then look at the switch in the house,the easiest thing to do is find where it is connected to the control board and bypass it.(experience needed!)

It could also be held open depending on the setup if it is getting a constant trigger from maybe a faulty keypad or intercom.

After these checks you need to work on the control board but I seriously dont advice this unless you a really confidant in what you are doing as not only is there a risk of shock but it is also easy to knock out a wire somewhere and if you dont know whats going on you will never get it back together.
    From here its a case of removing control wires and bypassing the safety's in order to narrow down the problem and this is where you really need to know what you are doing.

If you have any doubts in what you are doing then you really need to get a pro in.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

make link between - (minus) and FSW CL, this to pin when you have connected photocells, if gate close then you know that problem is on photocell or wiring from them, or on the switch in home which keep gate open. Resistance shout be very low on the cable, if is hight cable can be damaged or connection can by rusty. Made photo of board and i tell you what model you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gerandy

Hi Gate Automation, Got it fixed - the manual switch to keep the gate open was the problem. Just to identify the FAAC system . It has 452/550 marked on the control board. Power is on left terminal, then the 6 terminal block for the motors. Then a terminal block marked (i think) 1 to 10. If you can indentify this what apir of connectors is the keypad connected to open gate. What terminals are the photocells connected to.If the capacitor was faulty how would this be fault finded ?Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 r3racer3

Have faac gates ,, the remote will not operate the gates. The key pads works and the internal phone works. The led on the control board flashed when you press the remote but still does not work. Have reprogrammed but nothing anybody got any ideas. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement