Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish men or foreign men

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I smell crazy feminist bog dweller.

Well you cannot validate my post just because of the fact I am a woman having a post about men so you feel threaten. If I was a man on the topic of women, his post would be validated.

Alright calm down sweetheart. The lads down the local GAA club might be able to satisfy your need for attention.

Also, no, I'm not "threaten". Shall that be your stock response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Wouldn't generalise based on nationality and woouldn't choose a man based soley on his nationality (except for Argentinians....bunch of rides *drool*). I take each fella as they come. I even went out with an English man for 2 and a half years!:eek: The Irish boyfriends I've had in the past were lovely guys. Haven't gone out with one since 2007. Current guy is Spanish.

Is this a retaliation thread, OP? I really hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I am just pointing out that it's not about looks and personality much.

So explain why an Irish man can't meet a nurse or primary teacher - most of these are females.

If it's not about looks or personality surely Irish men are beating these away with sticks.

OP, I think you need to get laid;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

Alright calm down sweetheart. The lads down the local GAA club might be able to satisfy your need for attention.

Can you stop personally insulting me? If you don't like the post you, you don't have to participate instead of attacking me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Can you stop personally insulting me? If you don't like the post you, you don't have to participate instead of attacking me.

What are you on about?

No wonder you can't find a man tbh.....

*backs away slowly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

OP, it just seems like you are getting annoyed that nobody on this thread seems to agree with you.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Wouldn't generalise based on nationality and woouldn't choose a man based soley on his nationality (except for Argentinians....bunch of rides *drool*). I take each fella as they come. I even went out with an English man for 2 and a half years!:eek: The Irish boyfriends I've had in the past were lovely guys. Haven't gone out with one since 2007. Current guy is Spanish.

Is this a retaliation thread, OP? I really hope not.

No just something things i noticed wonder if other women was thinking the same.
    You are the only personal who actually answered my question and didn't insult and attack me so Thank you for answering them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What are you on about?

No wonder you can't find a man tbh.....

*backs away slowly*

Mod

Flaming stops here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Well it is a fact that most people I know who left Ireland single meet their partners abroad. What is that saying?
    That if you meet someone abroad, they're much more likely to come from the country you've moved to than Ireland?

• Advertisement

ElleEm wrote: »
    OP, it just seems like you are getting annoyed that nobody on this thread seems to agree with you.

Well I have asked questions on my post, Did you read them. no one answer my question only one person, instead everyone personally insulted and attacked me instead of answering the questions so that's how it is. They don't have to agree with what I am saying but you can disagree in a respecful way without offending and insulting others.

Well it is a fact that most people I know who left Ireland single meet their partners abroad. What is that saying?

That native men like foreign women?

Siuin wrote: »
    It's really tough to say. I've only dated foreign men since my late teens and there are a number of things which I have noticed have been lacking in them as opposed to an Irish guy;
    - an understanding of the Irish sense of humour (particularly in terms of poking fun at them or good humoured slagging-- this does *not* go down well with many foreign guys!!)
    - social etiquitte regarding what is acceptable in certain situations (I cannot stress this enough... especially if the guy is from a culture which is blunt and direct, it's a major issue. I've had my mom tell me that she literally hates guys I've brought home, because their mannerisms make them come across as rude and simply ignorant, when the fact is Irish culture is just very polite and non-confrontational)
    - language barriers (self explanatory -- this is especially true for Irish people, as you'd be very surprised how many strange ways of saying things we've concocting which are unique to us)

I'll probably end up with a 'foreign' guy because of where I plan to live in the future, but he'll probably need to have a good understanding of European mannerisms. Irish guys are great, but I tend to hang around with the 'nerdy' guys who, while not particularly attractive, are just great craic. Maybe it's because I instantly put Irish guys into the 'friend' zone because I know that come graduation I won't be able to bring them with me that I end up not contemplating a relationship. But it's really no reflection on them- I think that your average Irish guy is a really great catch.

Firstly thank you for actually answering my questions and sharing your thoughts on it... most of the posters just attacked me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I answered here!
    ElleEm wrote: »
    I have no experience of the Irish men you are talking about, OP.
    I have only met men who appreciate a woman being feminine, even if she does like sport.

That native men like foreign women?

Well it's probably both men and women but mostly because of the women I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Personally I don't like the whole GAA burly type women. I like my women to be women, nice and feminine. That's why I usually go for foreign women, but that's a whole other topic that I'm not going to get into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

To me it doesn't matter where a man comes from, it's how a man treats me and makes me feel.........

Well to be fair, you see a lot of Irish men with foreign women but you don't see too many Irish women with foreign men. There are exceptions of course, but generally foreign men stick to their own kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Wouldn't generalise based on nationality and woouldn't choose a man based soley on his nationality (except for Argentinians....bunch of rides *drool*)

Clearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Personally I don't like the whole GAA burly type women. I like my women to be women, nice and feminine. That's why I usually go for foreign women, but that's a whole other topic that I'm not going to get into.

I find that rather than location, it really depends on the woman, her interests and how she grew up. Because of the environment I was raised in and the standards I was expected to meet, I simply do not understand the mentality of a girl who goes outside without her hair looking neat, a bit of make up on and nice clothes (not a tracksuit, except for exercise). Not judging anyone who chooses to do this, but I don't personally understand it. I don't feel myself unless I have heels on and a squirt of perfume- that said, I've been asked on a few occasions if I'm Russian :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

OP, can I ask if you're from a rural area? I've always been a city dweller and neither I nor any of the men I know would be attracted to the type of woman you described.
    In my case it's because I don't encounter many women like that, and I probably wouldn't find such a woman very attractive.
    I don't think it's possible to say Irish men like a certain type of woman: all the men I know have quite different tastes. Personally, I wouldn't have just one type I'd be attracted to: it all depends on the individual woman and how I get on with her.

As for question about whether Irish or foreign men are better, I'm sorry but it seems a bit absurd. While there are general cultural traits that can be applied to a number of Irish men, they're just general, and Irish men are all individuals with individual tastes.
    And it's impossible to say whether foreign men are better or worse than Irish men as they're quite literally the most diverse group imaginable: how can you compare a Nigerian guy with an American, or a Vietnamese man with a Slovenian?

• Advertisement

OP, can I ask if you're from a rural area? I've always been a city dweller and neither I nor any of the men I know would be attracted to the type of woman you described.
    In my case it's because I don't encounter many women like that, and I probably wouldn't find such a woman very attractive.
    I don't think it's possible to say Irish men like a certain type of woman: all the men I know have quite different tastes. Personally, I wouldn't have just one type I'd be attracted to: it all depends on the individual woman and how I get on with her.

As for question about whether Irish or foreign men are better, I'm sorry but it seems a bit absurd. While there are general cultural traits that can be applied to a number of Irish men, they're just general, and Irish men are all individuals with individual tastes.
    And it's impossible to say whether foreign men are better or worse than Irish men as they're quite literally the most diverse group imaginable: how can you compare a Nigerian guy with an American, or a Vietnamese man with a Slovenian?

I am from rural Ireland but not living in rural Ireland now since 7 years.

Well , some Irish men are diverse but most of them enjoy drinking, GAA and the usual interests. Personally I havn't found much of a selection to chose from but that's because the things I am interested in are different to many whether that is good or bad, I dont know.

Well , some Irish men are diverse but most of them enjoy drinking, GAA and the usual interests.

Generalise much?

Generalise much?

Well many Irish people like drinking.. that is accurate. GAA is a very popular sport, true aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Do you not see how GAA players are worshipped? Well especially in rural Ireland. it's true from what I have seen maybe not from what you have seen.

Do not have a go at me. Just because I am a woman having a thread on this topic. There was thread here a few days ago actually a poll! on 'which is better' Irish women or foreign women.

Excuse me, but I don't give a toss if you're a woman or not, so please don't make those kind of insinuations about me.

Well many Irish people like drinking.. that is accurate. GAA <insert national sport here>is a very popular sport, true aswell.

FYP

I find that rather than location, it really depends on the woman, her interests and how she grew up. Because of the environment I was raised in and the standards I was expected to meet, I simply do not understand the mentality of a girl who goes outside without her hair looking neat, a bit of make up on and nice clothes (not a tracksuit, except for exercise). Not judging anyone who chooses to do this, but I don't personally understand it. I don't feel myself unless I have heels on and a squirt of perfume- that said, I've been asked on a few occasions if I'm Russian :/

You must be quite attractive if you were mistaken as a Russian as they're generally stunning! Fair play to ya. One thing I don't like is women wearing pj's outside. That's just wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well many Irish people like drinking.. that is accurate. GAA is a very popular sport, true aswell.

I've never watched a GAA match in my life and I drank in the pub for the first time in about 3 years last week.

You must be quite attractive if you were mistaken as a Russian as they're generally stunning! Fair play to ya. One thing I don't like is women wearing pj's outside. That's just wrong.
    I wish! XD I think in general, Easter European / Russian women tend to make more of an effort than Irish women (big generalisation, but tbh I can spot them a mile off because of this, and I doubt I'm alone). And so true... I actually find the PJs thing depressing. It gives the impression that someone has simply given up on themselves and doesn't give a shít.

I wish! XD I think in general, Easter European / Russian women tend to make more of an effort than Irish women (big generalisation, but tbh I can spot them a mile off because of this, and I doubt I'm alone). And so true... I actually find the PJs thing depressing. It gives the impression that someone has simply given up on themselves and doesn't give a shít.

I can't understand women or men who don't take some interest in their appearance. An awful lot of people seem to abandon all interest after they hit their mid 30's.

Well , some Irish men are diverse but most of them enjoy drinking, GAA and the usual interests. Personally I havn't found much of a selection to chose from but that's because the things I am interested in are different to many whether that is good or bad, I dont know.

Most men all over the world like drinking, and I'm not sure most Irish men like GAA (again, not so popular in cities and large towns as in rural areas) though there's still a sizeable number of GAA fans.
    Personally, I'm not too interested in either.

But I don't think that's really relevant to what they look for in a woman: just because a man likes GAA and drinking, it doesn't mean he wants a woman with similar interests. In fact, I'd say, from experience, there's probably more men who prefer a stereotypically feminine girl-next-door type who wouldn't interfere in their enjoyment of drink and GAA.

• Advertisement

I'd say, from experience, there's probably more men who prefer a stereotypically feminine girl-next-door type who wouldn't interfere in their enjoyment of drink and GAA.
    100% true. The vast majority of men like their women to be women. Just like women overwhelmingly prefer their men to not act like pússies. If a girl wants to act like 'one of the lads' she can expect to be friend-zoned fairly quickly by your average male. That said, it's actually quite difficult to make a girl who is, shall we say, 'rough and ready' feminine. I have a few friends who would be fairly boisterous and tomboy-ish, and to put them in a dress is just... so wrong... their whole demeanour and how they carry themselves still screams "howya lads!" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

What a stupid thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stickman2

I can honestly say i do not know one man who would be interested in a girl who has an interest in GAA or going to the pub with him. The woman in the relationship should do things woman do,while leaving the pub and sports to men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Stickman2 wrote: »
    The woman in the relationship should do things woman do
    It is a very dangerous statement sir ;)

... sandwiches? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I believe the main points from this sketch still hold true. Women know your place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Stickman2 wrote: »
    I can honestly say i do not know one man who would be interested in a girl who has an interest in GAA or going to the pub with him. The woman in the relationship should do things woman do,while leaving the pub and sports to men.

That's quite a definitive statement: I've found men and women like a huge variety of things. Some share some similar interests, some don't.

A small majority of people might want to be in relationships which conform to gender stereotypes, but I don't think that can be elevated to a universal truth.

I agree. Having been to a few Eastern European countries myself its evident that the women put a lot of effort into their appearence. You'd see women dress up even if it was just to nip out for a pint of milk. I just got back from Prague last week and I still have a stiff neck from looking around at all the women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

. I just got back from Prague last week and I still have a stiff neck from looking around at all the women.

I'd say your neck wasn't the only thing.

I'd say your neck wasn't the only thing.

Hehe, true that! :D

• Advertisement

I agree. Having been to a few Eastern European countries myself its evident that the women put a lot of effort into their appearence. You'd see women dress up even if it was just to nip out for a pint of milk. I just got back from Prague last week and I still have a stiff neck from looking around at all the women.

When Irish women do this it's assumed we love ourselves/are unapproachable/relics from the celtic tiger years!

'Tis hard to win ......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Depends on the individual but in general I am more drawn to Irish/Britush men because of the laugh you'll be pretty much guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Motorist wrote: »
    I believe the main points from this sketch still hold true. Women know your place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

An all-time classic :D

Overeducation leads to ugliness, premature aging and beard growth :D LMAO!

This thread is rather strange to be fair. Until this post I wasn't sure it was worth reading! :D

I have to say I am a bit outraged at the implication that all Irish men are supposedly the same and all foreign men as well.
    If this thread had been posted the other way around, as in a man saying all Irish woman and all foreign woman are practically the same and which do you prefer, there would have been outrage! I am a girl myself but seriously disagree with this!

If you think you're going to get any useful answers to your question, you are very foolishly mistaken!

Boardies, know your limits! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I'd like to think Irish women like Irish men. Mainly because I'm not foreign.

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

Irish men just want another mammy.
    Foreign men is where the passion is ladys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I can't understand women or men who don't take some interest in their appearance. An awful lot of people seem to abandon all interest after they hit their mid 30's.

I notice the men around here and I include myself in this would be the opposite. In my teens and 20's we never did any excerise and were boozing every weekend. Now in our 30's we drink very little and try to get to the gym a few times a week. Now I must admit I wouldnt be into the latest fashion trends but I'm neat and tidy with I think is ok for a man.

• Advertisement

It's nice to see some gender equality around here, and a thread with massive generalisations about both genders in Ireland in relation to their foreign counterparts.

I notice the men around here and I include myself in this would be the opposite. In my teens and 20's we never did any excerise and were boozing every weekend. Now in our 30's we drink very little and try to get to the gym a few times a week. Now I must admit I wouldnt be into the latest fashion trends but I'm neat and tidy with I think is ok for a man.

Where in Galway do you live?????????

BTW there is nothing worse than someone in their 30's trying to be trendy - it just looks desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

I can... What's so great about being obsessed with your looks when you have children to take care of? Or a stressful job?

I mean, I like dressing well when I have the money and making sure I put on a bit of make-up etc. but I find it annoying how vain people have become these days...
    As in some of my students need to take a look in the mirror before they leave the house. What's with the fake-tan and black eyeliner???

I personally prefer taking care of my looks, especially the older I get since obviously you have to look professional etc. But at the same time I would not prioritize it over more important things in life. I would never spend the amount of money some of my friends do on make-up and clothes. It is borderline crazy what amount of money some people spend on these things nowadays... I prefer eating and saving up for a new laptop and car! :)

Where in Galway do you live?????????

BTW there is nothing worse than someone in their 30's trying to be trendy - it just looks desperate.

Skinny jeans are cool, no matter what age you are :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Nothing excites me like a girl with a good GAA background. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement