Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bizarre Phone Calls after placing Done Deal Ad

• 06-05-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

I recently placed an ad up on done deal which gave my number and email address for contacting me.
    I successfully sold the item and removed it from the site.
    A day after I removed the ad I received a phone call from this number:
    <snip>

The person was just requesting information, the usual - and I told the person it was sold and I thought that was the end of it.

So then that night, around 4am, I was woken up by numerous calls from this number - slightly confused as to why they're ringing me again.
    Then again last night the same thing except at 4.30am.

Has this happened anyone else? What should I do in terms of getting them to stop calling me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Accidental re-dial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Shoulda bought a different SIM card!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 skateboardP

Accidental re-dial?

No it's not re-dial as they keep calling me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

phone sex :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Regardless of what they're up to, I wouldn't post someone's phone number on boards.ie without their permission.

I'd suggest just ignoring their calls, as unless they're threatening there's not that much you can do about it anyway and it's probably an unregistered Tesco Mobile based on that number.

I'd say just assign it a silent ring tone (most phones let you do that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Thread title fails to deliver.
    I was expecting axe maniac death threats or the like.
    At least heavy breathing or something.

Requesting information????
    Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Similar thing happened to my friend, constant calls all hours of the night, she went to Terenure garda station and got the sergent to ring them, it stopped straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

What exactly were you selling?;)

That or start answering your calls in a REALLY scary Dublin or Belfast gangster accent when they call.

I find that works very well!

Solair wrote: »
    Regardless of what they're up to, I wouldn't post someone's phone number on boards.ie without their permission.

I'd suggest just ignoring their calls, as unless they're threatening there's not that much you can do about it anyway and it's probably an unregistered Tesco Mobile based on that number.

I'd say just assign it a silent ring tone (most phones let you do that)

Well they're obviously up to something and obviously they don't mind their number being on show - they would've rang me on private number if that was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I have a Sony smart phone and when you save a number and open it's details you cam set it to ignore particular numbers, that may help, but as they have your number, nothing stopping them ringing from another phone, all you can do then is save it and make it ignored.

Unless you want to annoy them and return the favour.. Private number, phone charger and a cup of coffee.

Make sure it's private though, usually idiots who do stuff like that are annoying several people, they hopefully won't notice it's yourself.

Edit; just checked it, they are directed to your voicemail, I don't have mine set up so I don't hear a peep!

Ps next time don't use your own personal number..

Is there any way my phone network can bar the number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

It could be a really crap phone with crap keylock.

I've had that happen before, where I take my (old) phone out of my pocket, and it's in the middle of a call, then when I check previous dialled numbers I've already called it 4 or 5 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Yes, but you need to go to the guards and they request it with your provider.

Yes, but you need to go to the guards and they request it with your provider.

ok thats my plan so - i don't think it's a mistake as it's the same time every morning.

I'd start by ringing the number myself and asking what the hell their problem is!

Solair wrote: »
    I'd start by ringing the number myself and asking what the hell their problem is!

When they rang me at 4am I kindly asked them to not ring me again, they obviously didn't listen as they rang again at 4.30 this morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Haha my best friend put up some debs dresses to sell on donedeal. She got a call from this guy, asked her if she was the girl selling the dresses, she said she was and he was like "I just thought I'd tell you, I'm sitting here w**king, thinking about you".

That finished her putting any more pics of her wearing dresses on donedeal!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Hmmm. I'm gonna be putting stuff on donedeal in the next week or so - do you have to post your mobile number as part of the ad, or is that just recommended as the quickest way of being contacted? Either way, I think I'll nip down to Tesco and get one of those €20 prepay phones they have and use it purely for donedeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I got a call one night at 4am. They asked what time I was collecting them at. It was a group who thought I was their local cab man. When I said they had the wrong number, they were convinced I was having a laugh. I eventually admitted I actually was the cab man but I wasn't going to collect them as I got a better fare and that they can walk as they are a bunch of cnuts.

I wonder whatever came of them.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. I'm gonna be putting stuff on donedeal in the next week or so - do you have to post your mobile number as part of the ad, or is that just recommended as the quickest way of being contacted? Either way, I think I'll nip down to Tesco and get one of those €20 prepay phones they have and use it purely for donedeal.

no u dont need to post your number but obviously its a lot quicker than email for comms. Yea thats a good idea about the tesco phone - I definately wont be posting my number again anyway. I'm curious to see if they'll ring me again tonight.

OP : I would ring the number at about 9:00am on a weekday and in your most serious, officious tone, just ask him what exactly he was doing calling you at that hour. Just be really firm, don't get angry or scared sounding.

Just tell him if he ever calls this number again, there will be consequences. Then hang up!

Advertisement