Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Drink driving machines?

• 06-05-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to get these new drink driving yokes that you have to have form this summer onwards.

Id say they will be very over priced on the ferry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

They are readily available in supermarkets, usually in the section which sells booze, hanging on the edge of shelves like bottle openers etc.

We got ours at an Intermarche, they are ETHYLOTEST brand in a green box, two per box, for E2.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

niloc1951 wrote: »
    They are readily available in supermarkets, usually in the section which sells booze, hanging on the edge of shelves like bottle openers etc.

We got ours at an Intermarche, they are ETHYLOTEST brand in a green box, two per box, for E2.50

Can someone explain what this new requirement is???...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Can someone explain what this new requirement is???...

You need to carry you're own breathalyzer thingie with you in the future, or now even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Are they available on Celtic Link to buy. also is it possible to get a hook up on Celtic Link as it is on Irish Ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 closecall

You need to carry you're own breathalyzer thingie with you in the future, or now even.

Really you have to carry the plastic thing if your driving in France is the correct???

• Advertisement

closecall wrote: »

Really you have to carry the plastic thing if your driving in France is the correct???

Yeah I'm kinda shocked too it's mandatory...are you expected to use it every time you drive or only when you've been drinking?... What if you don't drink?
    Surely if the cops stop you or you've a tip they will "bag" you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

Jaysus lads, google it, its very simple.

http://www.frenchbreathalyzer.com/

At €2.50 from Halfords, they're a lot cheaper than the hi-viz for every passenger, the warning triangle, the fire extinguisher and the spare bulb kit, items which you are also expected to carry by law when driving in France and most of the continent.

Jaysus lads, google it, its very simple.

http://www.frenchbreathalyzer.com/

At €2.50 from Halfords, they're a lot cheaper than the hi-viz for every passenger, the warning triangle, the fire extinguisher and the spare bulb kit, items which you are also expected to carry by law when driving in France and most of the continent.

Cheaper alright...but worthless compared to the other items which may actually be of use.
    Anyway it's not to be enforced until November so I'll pick up the cheapest possible one I can find once there with the NF approval thing on it.

Cheers
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

martyc5674 wrote: »
    but worthless compared to the other items which may actually be of use.

+1. Sarkozy's parting gift to the French electorate..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Unless I'm missing something, I fail to see how this is anything other than a money maker for the producers of these.

If it's not compulsory to use one after you've had a drink and the police will use the traditional one that they carry then what's the point?.

I don't see any mention of higher penalties being enforced if you haven't tested yourself before the police test you. This would make sense and perhaps cut the drink driving down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I thought the thread was 'are the french drink driving machines' to which I would answer no but they're stoned all the time ... well my french friends anyway.

Advertisement