Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Ree Pike Comp Coosan

Options
  • 06-05-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All Like minded anglers.

I took part in the recent pike comp on Lough Ree. I have one question-why are failte ireland paying Dave Haoughton to run the competition? is it not obvious that there are very few foreign anglers coming to it?!a waste of tourism money maybe. Also, did the fishery board not set this up with failte ireland a few years ago. they didnt get a mention in the pub in coosan that night! and a certain man that has been involved in angling in athlone all his life was called a spoofer or something like that by this man..hardly on is it?! :)

Pollagh Prince

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Press release stated "Anglers from Austria, England, Germany, Ireland, Lithuania , Poland, Switzerland and 14 counties of Ireland" competed. Some of the guys may be from those countries but are probably resident here.
    I am aware that tourism Ireland put a lot of money into the competition each year in the hope that it will attract a large number of foreign anglers over for the few days. That wont happen overnight.
    I dont know whether Dave is being paid directly by Failte Ireland. I would have thought that he would make money on foreign anglers booking accomodation etc through himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

who was the spoofer?:)... the press release was as above stated and i think in his speach on the 3rd night he mentioned those countries,or i heard it mentioned in one of the speeches:) and also stated that some of those foregin nationals were resident in ireland also... 177 anglers i think it was that entered it, around that anyway,
    i was speaking to 2 lads on the 1st morning briefly and i thought they were french:D, now i'm no expert on languages so i could have been wrong :D... i enjoyed the 3 days/nights... didnt catch too many pike though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pollagh prince

hadnt much luck myself either but its all about trying :):)were the fisherys boards not involved? saw them on the boats during the competition.I was told a few years back they helped setting up this comp? mm was the spoofer he was referring to..not nice language froma blow in.

hadnt much luck myself either but its all about trying :):)were the fisherys boards not involved? saw them on the boats during the competition.I was told a few years back they helped setting up this comp? mm was the spoofer he was referring to..not nice language froma blow in.
    i seen them checking the boats on the 1st morn and seen them once or twice on the lake, i dont know if they were involved with organising it before, this was my 1st time to do it, i was out by the pool table when the speech was made i rem hearing a bit(spoofer) assumed it was a joke or bit of banter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

sorry lads for the change of subject for a min but was there any sign of a mayfly hatch yet on l.ree ? tks

• Advertisement

decdon wrote: »
    sorry lads for the change of subject for a min but was there any sign of a mayfly hatch yet on l.ree ? tks
    yeah they are up, i wasnt out yet myself, but fly is up i was told, and some fish have been caught on the fly,

the man that said it wasnt joking..thats the sad part..

some class fish being caught on the dapp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

the man that said it wasnt joking..thats the sad part..

some class fish being caught on the dapp!

What was said??

its what wasnt said which was the problem. mr hauoghton went on a personal rant about how he got all these people to come..he forgot to mention the good work of the local people directing traffic etc,and the likes of the fishery board for checking boats and being a presence on the lake. it was a self centred speech

he also called one of the local men a spoofer on stage..its high time failte ireland got rid of the likes of him, who has no interest on lough ree only creaming off the money.

its what wasnt said which was the problem. mr hauoghton went on a personal rant about how he got all these people to come..he forgot to mention the good work of the local people directing traffic etc,and the likes of the fishery board for checking boats and being a presence on the lake. it was a self centred speech

he also called one of the local men a spoofer on stage..its high time failte ireland got rid of the likes of him, who has no interest on lough ree only creaming off the money.
    creaming off what money though?? all entries went out in prizes,

• Advertisement

he is making a job for himself that doesnt exist.. he is paid by failte ireland to run a competition that any clown could run!:mad:

Advertisement