Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single men vs Single women

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

[/B]

We don't all think that men are sex crazed predators. If we did, heterosexual people would rarely have sex.

Well god be with the days when you could ride some young one behind a night club and not have to worry about the moral implications of it. Nowadays if you go looking for that sort of thing you're a big dirty langer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Well god be with the days when you could ride some young one behind a night club and not have to worry about the moral implications of it. Nowadays if you go looking for that sort of thing you're a big dirty langer!

How old are you, and how old are the 'young ones'? I will agree that guys in their 30's and 40's chasing teenagers in a nightclub is sleazy. Reverse the genders and it's still sleazy.

And the back of a night club - have you no home to go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How old are you, and how old are the 'young ones'? I will agree that guys in their 30's and 40's chasing teenagers in a nightclub is sleazy. Reverse the genders and it's still sleazy.
    I'm already 25 - how long do I have until chasing (legal) teenagers becomes sleazy? *PANICS*

And the back of a night club - have you no home to go to?

I'm 28 now, and the young ones back in the day would have been between 18-24. And its not uncommon for randy people to fornicate behind night clubs, in public toilets, up against a tree, on the bonnet of car, and other random public places. Or least that used to be the case. Ahh to be young again. I'm feeling nostalgic now. :D

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm already 25 - how long do I have until chasing (legal) teenagers becomes sleazy? *PANICS*

You have every reason to panic, Ficheall :rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

The general rule is half your age plus seven years.

This only works for people between the ages of 18 and 30 though I think.

Just something I found on my travels through the web...

I'm 28 now, and the young ones back in the day would have been between 18-24. And its not uncommon for randy people to fornicate behind night clubs, in public toilets, up against a tree, on the bonnet of car, and other random public places. Or least that used to be the case. Ahh to be young again. I'm feeling nostalgic now. :D

Too much CCTV now:eek: - although some people like that ;).

As for being young again, I think you might have another few years left to go forth and fornicate:D

a fat guy wrote: »

Jesus, there's actual rules now :eek:

Half my age plus seven years?
    So half of 25+7
    32/2=16?

Sweet.

Cheers, fat guy.

So half of 25+7
    32/2=16?

Sweet.

Cheers, fat guy.

Half your age plus 7

25/2 = 12.5 + 7 = 19.5 :D

Remember under 16 and it's illegal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

So half of 25+7
    32/2=16?

Sweet.

Cheers, fat guy.

If you move to the Middle East it's half your age minus 7 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Raekwon wrote: »
    Aside from just 'scoring' I've actually noticed a recent trend of women in their early/mid 30's starting relationships with guys in their 20's. I personally know of 3 separate couples that have started relationships this year where the woman was much older. IME the only time women in their 30's/40's might not have alot of success with the opposite sex is when they have children from a previous relationship that potential suitors might see as excess baggage.

Hmmm, I do know a few older women/younger men couples myself but the opposite of this would be far more prevalent in my experience. But yeah, having a kid at any age hinders things. Ask my cousin who got pregnant at 19 by a total loser. Silly girl. :-/
    Jesus, there's actual rules now :eek:

It's tongue-in-cheek, surely? :)

Going by that rule, I can go as low as a 21 year old fella - er, no thanks! :)

Go for it Sea filly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Each to their own I guess.

I think people put too much pressure on themselves to be with someone that anyone starts to look appealing after a while.

What's for you won't pass you.

Go for it Sea filly :D

Nah, I'll stick with my 29 year old, I think. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

eviltwin wrote: »
    True, but its a shame when something that could have made a good talking point turns into an anti men/anti women rant from the usual suspects.

Oi, I'm one of the 'usual suspects' and I clearly said that both genders get an equal amount of pressure put on them by society because let's face it, they do.

BTW you came into this thread to rant about ranting so you're just as bad as the rest ;)
    Well look at it this way, women imo find it about as difficult to get sex as men do. Women have far fewer viable options to choose from. For men there is a much larger percentage of women they could enjoy sex with compared to women.

You don't seriously believe that do you? You actually think that women find it just as difficult to get laid as men do? The same women that get approached multiple times on a night out by poor bastards, that more times then not, end up going home alone? Not to mention that most pubs/clubs usually have a 10:1 ratio of men:women so I'm not sure if your theory holds much weight to be honest.

Half your age plus 7

25/2 = 12.5 + 7 = 19.5 :D

Remember under 16 and it's illegal

Look, love, this time next year I should have my maths phd, so I'm fairly confident that exactly what the fat guy's rules are saying is that I should have sex with a 16-year old ;)

However, since I am a gentleman first and foremost and a mathematician second, I am prepared to wait until the lass is 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I am 23 and I am never going to find anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Gandalph wrote: »

Not with that attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yep, if you haven't met anyone by 23, that's it - over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

In Ireland your not normal unless:

your going out with anyone just so u can put 'in a relationship on Facebook' or marry someone just for the sake of it cos ur 30, live in a un finished housing estate called Cois an Abhainn, work in a boring job you hate 9-5 to provide for wee Roisin and Jack, comment to yourself on how your new wife of 3 years has cut her hair short and really put on weight as you watch her buy Organic Bread at a saturday morning farmers market.

Time people ditched the rule book...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, if you haven't met anyone by 23, that's it - over!

You said it buddy, looking at joining the priesthood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Carson10 wrote: »

your going out with anyone just so u can put 'in a relationship on Facebook' or marry someone just for the sake of it cos ur 30, live in a un finished housing estate called Cois an Abhainn, work in a boring job you hate 9-5 to provide for wee Roisin and Jack, comment to yourself on how your new wife of 3 years has cut her hair short and really put on weight as you watch her buy Organic Bread at a saturday morning farmers market.

Christ that sounds like urban hell. I am so glad my life will never be like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

amacca wrote: »
    LH Pathe wrote: »
    all the best ones are Taken. some day I am gon' free me a sweet little abductee

make sure you free the blonde one or else

a man with a very particular skill-set acquired over many years who may not know who you are or what you want and who has no money for ransom will look for you, will find you and will kill you!

then he best be like me. too damn handsome to pay the ransom

.. seriously though? all the worst ones are taken is my honest view. Well, not all but I'd be amongst the inexperienced, prone folk bleeding for a soulmate with a similar level of life experience and wisdom / age who don't want to hurt get hurt nor make a rash decision. But just so damn stubborn it'll probably never happen - had a penpal in the burma region I very much fell in love with but that went sour. close as I may get!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

eviltwin wrote: »
    True, but its a shame when something that could have made a good talking point turns into an anti men/anti women rant from the usual suspects.

Oi, I'm one of the 'usual suspects' and I clearly said that both genders get an equal amount of pressure put on them by society because let's face it, they do.

BTW you came into this thread to rant about ranting so you're just as bad as the rest ;)
    Well look at it this way, women imo find it about as difficult to get sex as men do. Women have far fewer viable options to choose from. For men there is a much larger percentage of women they could enjoy sex with compared to women.

You don't seriously believe that do you? You actually think that women find it just as difficult to get laid as men do? The same women that get approached multiple times on a night out by poor bastards, that more times then not, end up going home alone? Not to mention that most pubs/clubs usually have a 10:1 ratio of men:women so I'm not sure if your theory holds much weight to be honest.

You're missing my point. Being approached countless times by drunk men isn't as great as you might think it is. Women generally have are mostly approached by men they couldn't enjoy sex with so how is that so great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Carson10 wrote: »

That's funny and scary all at once! Cois an Abhainn.....cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

A lot of people are happier and more content "with someone". I see that in my own friends and relations.

I think the 30s is where all this comes to a head and I have to say that I think women have it worse. Us fellas could be knocking out babies till we're 70 but women seem (to me) to be painfully aware of the limit of their fertility once they hit 30. Even if they don't, their mams, sisters and friends are aware of it.

Probably reflective of my wife have more firends than me but in our combined circle of friends and family, I know of a load of 30+ girls who are genuinely great and would be a great catch. Can't for the life of me understand why they don't have a guy in their life....and they would like one (I am assured by my wife who is privy to this info).

Maybe they're too picky. My gut feeling is maybe they're looking for the wrong type or not looking in the right place maybe.

Top tip ladies: go for nice, sound, steady guys...........not showy eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Can't for the life of me understand why they don't have a guy in their life....

Cause Mark Darcy and Mr Big are fictional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

You said it buddy, looking at joining the priesthood

just cos your hopeless at chatting up adults is NO excuse to go molest kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Cause Mark Darcy and Mr Big are fictional.

What? FFS :mad:

You're missing my point. Being approached countless times by drunk men isn't as great as you might think it is. Women generally have are mostly approached by men they couldn't enjoy sex with so how is that so great.

I'm not missing the point at all, I honestly think that you have it the wrong way around. You said that women have far fewer viable options to choose from which in my opinion is utter nonsense. It's usually women who have way more options (potential suitors) then men. As Amelia Earhart once said "It is the woman who chooses the man who will choose her."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The number of men getting women and women getting men should even out, so if there are men who feel that women have more options in general it means that some men are getting laid a lot more than others.

Top tip ladies: go for nice, sound, steady guys...........not showy eejits.

I grew out of showy eejits when I was 18! :pac:

I'm not missing the point at all, I honestly think that you have it the wrong way around. You said that women have far fewer viable options to choose from which in my opinion is utter nonsense. It's usually women who have way more options (potential suitors) then men. As Amelia Earhart once said "It is the woman who chooses the man who will choose her."

I said viable options. Men can go fukc a tree but it wouldn't be appealing. Men on average have much more women to choose from who are appealing. Women on average have a lot fewer men to choose from who are appealing. In a woman's world a much higher percentage of men are the equivalent of the fat woman on Eastenders as they are usually needy which is probably close to the equivalent of being grossly obese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,221 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There is nothing more repugnent to a single female than a single male!! Fact..

• Advertisement

There is nothing more repugnent to a single female than a single male!! Fact..

No there is nothing more repugnant than a man without options.

I said viable options. Men can go fukc a tree but it wouldn't be appealing. Men on average have much more women to choose from who are appealing. Women on average have a lot fewer men to choose from who are appealing. In a woman's world a much higher percentage of men are the equivalent of the fat woman on Eastenders as they are usually needy which is probably close to the equivalent of being grossly obese.

Well what you are basically saying is women are a bunch of fussy fúckers? If that's the case then you are undermining your own argument as even though women still have much more options then men, they are narrowing down their own options out of choice. That doesn't change the fact that they still have more options then men they just choose not too pursue those options.

Well what you are basically saying is women are a bunch of fussy fúckers? If that's the case then you are undermining your own argument as even though women still have much more options then men, they are narrowing down their own options out of choice. That doesn't change the fact that they still have more options then men they just choose not too pursue those options.

They don't choose not to be attracted to men. We can't help our attraction, it's not a choice. As I said before women have fewer viable options. Imagine hundreds of heathers from Eastenders chasing you. Not so great is it.

They don't choose not to be attracted to men. We can't help our attraction, it's not a choice. As I said before women have fewer viable options. Imagine hundreds of heathers from Eastenders chasing you. Not so great is it.

Ah I see what you're trying to say, but your argument still holds absolutely no weight in my opinion as women STILL have more options then men and really always will.

But back to your argument. So in a nutshell you are implying that most average looking women have superiority complexes and only aim for Calvin Klein model's with perfect hair and six-pack abs? If a guy doesn't come up to her ridiculously high standards then they are compared to obese women, particularity actresses from a certain cockney soap opera? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

A lot of talk on the thread about women wanting a guy with "confidence".

This is usually the most pc way women can actually express their preferences for a partner without coming across as being just 'shallow' and/or 'a gold digger'.

Women are attracted to men with confidence because it is a sign that a guy has reasons to be confident and it is those reasons that women are really seeking out, nothing at all to do with mere confidence.

If a guy is decent, sound, good laugh, good morals etc etc then what difference should it make if he is confident or not? It shouldn't and when women see that a guy has all these attributes that they assocaiate with confidence anyway, it usually doesn't.

tl;dr

Women want guys with confidence for the same reasons that guys like women with DD bras, as both are indicative of what they are really after: big tits .. and big boobs, respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

What?! Speak for yourself buddy. I rarely find a woman that would be suitable for me ie. Good looking, smart, not overweight, good job, not broody, good personality, nice gee...

You're right in that I would ride anything, but they're discarded from my life real quick. False name, false address, false number, helps :)

What?! Speak for yourself buddy. I rarely find a woman that would be suitable for me ie. Good looking, smart, not overweight, good job, not broody, good personality, nice gee...
    Exactly. It's impossible to find a worthy lass these days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm starting to think that I'm quite fussy in that I only seem to go out with good looking women, I just can't seem to find any enthusiasm for ones that aren't all that. Is this wrong? Either way I've thrown in the towel a while ago, I'd definitely rather be single than in some of the marriages some of my friends are involved in.

But in saying that everyone's other half is probably good looking to them so I'm hardly unusual!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well what you are basically saying is women are a bunch of fussy fúckers?
    I don't think he is. I kinda see where he's coming from. Lets imagine a gorgeous looking woman with a personality to match, a person that would appear to hold all the romantic cards, however because of the (usual)societal thing that the man does the chasing, she really only has the choice of men who decide to actually chase. If she does decides to do the chasing herself, chances are she'll be thought of as a little odd, even a "slut" by some knuckledraggers and quite a few men will be put off by it. You often hear really good looking women complain that all they meet are medallion men asshats and rarely meet nice guys. Compare her to the same criteria in an imaginary bloke, as he'll be doing the running he has more choice over initial encounters.

I suppose for the average it pretty much evens out. Women being generally the pursued are limited to those men who will make some sort of effort at pursuit and men being the ones generally doing the pursuing are limited by how confident they are at doing so.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You're right in that I would ride anything, but they're discarded from my life real quick. False name, false address, false number, helps :)

I'm talking about sex not relationships, there are a lot more women out there that you'd enjoy riding compared than men women would enjoy riding. I just don't think women have all the power. Why aren't they all overjoyed with happiness if their lot is so good.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't think he is. I kinda see where he's coming from. Lets imagine a gorgeous looking woman with a personality to match, a person that would appear to hold all the romantic cards, however because of the (usual)societal thing that the man does the chasing, she really only has the choice of men who decide to actually chase. If she does decides to do the chasing herself, chances are she'll be thought of as a little odd, even a "slut" by some knuckledraggers and quite a few men will be put off by it. You often hear really good looking women complain that all they meet are medallion men asshats and rarely meet nice guys. Compare her to the same criteria in an imaginary bloke, as he'll be doing the running he has more choice over initial encounters.

I suppose for the average it pretty much evens out. Women being generally the pursued are limited to those men who will make some sort of effort at pursuit and men being the ones generally doing the pursuing are limited by how confident they are at doing so.

I know what you're saying but honestly I think it will only ever even out if both genders take equal responsibility. IMO women need to break free from this outdated perception that they feel that they must conform to to appease society. As it stands women go to <insert social situation here> and get approached by men yet very rarely do the approaching themselves. This needs to change!

From what I've observed, if a woman is interested in a guy they will usually put themselves into a position to be approached, but 9 times out of 10 times they would never approach a guy under any circumstances. I'm sure you've seen it a million times. A girl clearly fancies a guy in a bar so she will make eye contact, flash a smile, play with her hair, etc but will very rarely stand up, walk over and say "Hi" to the guy.

Obviously some women do take the initiative, and more power to them, but generally speaking men do all the chasing and take most of the rejection and, like I've said, this needs to change if the dating scene is to be viewed as a level playing field.
    Why aren't they all overjoyed with happiness if their lot is so good.

Because they're women. If they had nothing to complain about then they'd have nothing to talk about ;)

It's obvious that the dating game is not equal for both sexes. Go to a bar or club and the men always seem to out-number the women. It's the same with online dating. If a half decent looking woman puts up a profile on a dating site, chances are she will get at least 50 messages a day, whereas a man probably wouldn't get any and would have to send lots of messages and hope for a response. Again women have more choices.

I find from a male perspective its a bit like an audition. You're competing with so many other men that you have to be something special to stand out. A bit like the X-Factor really. The women are the judges and the men are the contestants. The women can sit back and choose who they want, while the men must try and win their approval.

It's obvious that the dating game is not equal for both sexes. Go to a bar or club and the men always seem to out-number the women. It's the same with online dating. If a half decent looking woman puts up a profile on a dating site, chances are she will get at least 50 messages a day, whereas a man probably wouldn't get any and would have to send lots of messages and hope for a response. Again women have more choices.

I find from a male perspective its a bit like an audition. You're competing with so many other men that you have to be something special to stand out. A bit like the X-Factor really. The women are the judges and the men are the contestants. The women can sit back and choose who they want, while the men must try and win their approval.

You can stand out by not looking for approval and by judging if the women you talk to meet your own criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

If a guy is decent, sound, good laugh, good morals etc etc then what difference should it make if he is confident or not? It shouldn't and when women see that a guy has all these attributes that they assocaiate with confidence anyway, it usually doesn't.

But there's loads of women who want a man like the above. They don't all think the same way. They have different preferences just like men. I'm shy, introverted and socially awkward at times. I've always done ok when women got to know me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Don't worry single womens. Just buy some Dulux paint and you'll have a hubby and babies with the stroke of a brush.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement