Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single men vs Single women

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »
    Of course it can be the case, just like the way some guys are shallow, yet it still gets thrown out there about all women as if it's the rule. Nermal15 is not unusual.

riches and good looks is a bonus?

way outta dat, if their tractor starts on first turn it's a bonus eh ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

teednab-el wrote: »
    I'm 27, male and single all my life, never was in a relationship. Never my choice but just haven't met a girl that found me attractive and my lack of confidence really makes me limited along with my other pitfalls. Cant see myself meeting anyone now but I live in hope. It's all I have.

same here. i get the impression that theres a high proportion of single males in this country and im one of them.
    my brother was single all his life till about 28. my sisters use to say that they thought he was gay just because he was single :pac:
    when he emigated he pulled a savage italian bird, and is living with her now. i think me being single has more to do with living in this country rather than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

paky wrote: »
    same here. i get the impression that theres a high proportion of single males in this country and im one of them.
    my brother was single all his life till about 28. my sisters use to say that they thought he was gay just because he was single :pac:
    when he emigated he pulled a savage italian bird, and is living with her now. i think me being single has more to do with living in this country rather than anything else.

i don't have stats but i'd imagine the amount of single Irish women is growing at a staggering rate.

The introduction of euro and easteren euro chicks showing exactly how it should be done must be having a huge affect on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

ntlbell wrote: »
    i don't have stats but i'd imagine the amount of single Irish women is growing at a staggering rate.

The introduction of euro and easteren euro chicks showing exactly how it should be done must be having a huge affect on this.

That's true. So many Irish men are going for the foreign women now. I know lads that will only date foreign women.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

The unfortunate truth is that if you lack confidence, you will not be noticed. You have to know who you are as a person and actually like that person.

Someone in my past put it very well : "If you walked in to a bar in a parallel universe and you yourself were sitting at the bar, would you go and have a pint with yourself ?" If your answer to that question is No, then there are things about yourself you need to change before anyone will ever love you.

How can you ever expect anyone else to love you if you don't love yourself* ?

I used to be a chronically shy person / low self esteem / no confidence / etc...

I got sick of it. There's no point in going through life like that - it gets tiresome. A few years ago I changed my opinion of myself and I'm seeing the results now.

* - I'm talking about a genuine love for yourself, not arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Agreed. They are massively hotter than Irish girls. Slim tan and dress very sexy.

While on the other hand I dont think eastern European men are as good looking as Irish men.

(Im not gay by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Luckily myself (and many other Irish girls just like me) have found ourselves lovely foreign guys who, hats off to them, have been showing us exactly what we've been missing all these years ;)

by the sounds of things, with the majority of irish men emigrating, women here will be left with a bigger dilemna than ever, either emigrate themsleves, or marry into other nationalities. and tbh, i don't know many irish women who would date a foreigner in their home country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

by the sounds of things, with the majority of irish men emigrating, women here will be left with a bigger dilemna than ever, either emigrate themsleves, or marry into other nationalities. and tbh, i don't know many irish women who would date a foreigner in their home country.

Why wouldn't they, if Irish men would date foreign women?

Uh, are you kidding me? I know loads of them. In my group of friends alone there are quite a few dating Europeans, Americans and Canadians. Can't imagine any reason why they wouldn't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    The single woman doesn’t have to change herself or go through some self improvement process.

This is simply not true. I know of loads of women who have gone through major self-improvement processes in order to meet someone. I think it's equally hard on both. Especially if they like being single but society just doesn't get the message.

Why wouldn't they, if Irish men would date foreign women?

because its perceived as marrying down the social ladder

because its perceived as marrying down the social ladder
    Depends on where the guy is from. Unfortunately for quite a number of people, bringing home a guy of a different race may be perceived as settling (which I think is horrible and don't agree with at all, but that's the reality of the situation, at least for my parents and many older generations).

I don't see myself as dating 'down' at all- if anything, I'm doing very well for myself- he's a professional in a well paying job and comes from a very nice family. Not all foreigners in Ireland are working in menial jobs, some are here because they have the language skills necessary for roles Irish people can't fill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I have seen irish women date foreigners - its everywhere,just walk down your local joint and see it for yourself.

I had a friend who used to live in my neighbourhood who lives with a guy from morrocco.

And they have manners :D (they dont spend it all down the pub or in ladbrokes on some ****ing horse or a hare,or who knows now a celebrity,and probably wouldnt know what you meant if you asked them)unlike a lot of 'jokey' irish guys..and the put downs there are none,but maybe thats just what i have noticed so far,im not going to be stupid and tar them all with the same brush..But i think maybe the culture is different there is less swearing,and drinking,for a start but past that..you know,having said that i dont think all of them are angels im sure there are a few bastards :)

I have seen irish women date foreigners - its everywhere,just walk down your local joint and see it for yourself.

I had a friend who used to live in my neighbourhood who lives with a guy from morrocco.

And they have manners :D (they dont spend it all down the pub or in ladbrokes on some ****ing horse or a hare,or who knows know a celebrity,and probably wouldnt know what you meant if you asked them)unlike a lot of 'jokey' irish guys..and the put downs there are none,but maybe thats just what i have noticed so far,im not going to be stupid and tar them all with the same brush..But i think maybe the culture is different there is less swearing,and drinking,for a start but past that..you know,having said that i dont think all of them are angels im sure there are a few bastards :)

ah sure i know what you mean, you can't beat an irish woman's nack for destroying a mans confidence :rolleyes:

dory wrote: »
    This is simply not true. I know of loads of women who have gone through major self-improvement processes in order to meet someone. I think it's equally hard on both. Especially if they like being single but society just doesn't get the message.

From my experience women improve themselves for themselves, not for men. I've heard plenty of women say that when they go out they dress up to impress other women, not men. There's a lot of competition between women to look good. Whereas a man wouldn't give a toss what another man was wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

A longtime single mate of mine once told me that being an average run of the mill type of guy in Ireland was like "living on the moon". He was stuck in a rut for years and everybody that knew him could tell it was really getting him down.

He eventually bit the bullet and moved to Slovakia to work for an American multinational for one third of the salary that he was on in Ireland. It was a big gamble but he now has the most ridiculously stunning fiancée that I've ever seen and a baby on the way and he couldn't be happier.

Sometimes the grass is much greener in pastures new ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Phat Cat wrote: »
    A longtime single mate of mine once told me that being an average run of the mill type of guy in Ireland was like "living on the moon". He was stuck in a rut for years and everybody that knew him could tell it was really getting him down.

He eventually bit the bullet and moved to Slovakia to work for an American multinational for one third of the salary that he was on in Ireland. It was a big gamble but he now has the most ridiculously stunning fiancée that I've ever seen and a baby on the way and he couldn't be happier.

Sometimes the grass is much greener in pastures new ;)

Going by your anti-Irish woman post history, this anecdote likely isn't true...

I've heard plenty of women say that when they go out they dress up to impress other women, not men.

When women say this, I'm always a bit dubious. I definitely dress wen I'm going out with men in mind, a little bit.

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »

While on the other hand I dont think eastern European men are as good looking as Irish men.

Lots of EE men are very hot.

Ya there's something seriously f**ked up with irish womens dating attitudes. There's serious personification of males sexual interest and drive as something sick, barbaric, perverted and dangerous.

What are you talking about? :confused:

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Going by your anti-Irish woman post history, this anecdote likely isn't true...

I couldn't care less if any of the feminist/bunny boilers that regularly post on these boards believe me! I actually laugh when I see you lot posting as it's always so hypocritical.

Male poster: "Some Irish women are really horrible"
    Female Response: "No we're f**king not! F**k off somewhere else if you don't like real women ya ugly p***k :mad:"

The fact is that my mate was single for years and he only became happy when he left Ireland. Coincidence? Maybe, but he was a Mayo man with red hair so most women here never gave him the time of day.

The fact is that my mate was single for years and he only became happy when he left Ireland. Coincidence? Maybe, but he was a Mayo man with red hair so most women here never gave him the time of day.

Heh, ok, now I know you're definitely making it up. :D Believe it or not, Phat Cat, there are Mayo men, some with red hair, in relationships in Ireland RIGHT NOW! Shocking, I know! :D

You don't want to believe me more like ;) You are right, that is shocking, but what's even more shocking is the amount of unattractive & overweight women that bounce (literally) from relationship to relationship in this country.

You don't want to believe me more like ;) You are right, that is shocking, but what's even more shocking is the amount of unattractive & overweight women that bounce (literally) from relationship to relationship in this country.

How many are there? Do tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I couldn't care less if any of the feminist/bunny boilers that regularly post on these boards believe me! I actually laugh when I see you lot posting as it's always so hypocritical.

Female Response: "No we're f**king not! F**k off somewhere else if you don't like real women ya ugly p***k :mad:"

Well he's less likely to meet the "some" Irish women abroad!

I don't know, so many assumptions there it's hard to make any sense of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I have no idea what Irish men are complaining about. It's not a problem hooking up with Irish women, I'm not a good looking guy (or a good looking woman even) but there are women falling everywhere when I do go out. I'm not trying to say it to rub it in anyones nose but it's not like they were especially gay or anything and granted while it might just be a one off thing with them (as in not relationship type material) there are plenty of women gagging for it every other night of the week. (either that or I give off some very strong pheromones and they are all confused)

k wait I figured it out, Irish women and men just really fking hate each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Can't recall such posts - all that gets said is there are too many insults thrown at Irish women across the board here, which there are. If you think it's unreasonable or feminist or bunny-boiling to object to that kind of vitriol, perhaps you think women should just keep their mouths shut and take insults? Which would say more about you...

Btw, if the comment was that "some" Irish women are horrible, it would be correct ("some" people are horrible anywhere) but no, it's always merely "Irish women".

Think ye should all do yourselves a favour and stay away from each other.

And they have manners :D (they dont spend it all down the pub or in ladbrokes on some ****ing horse or a hare,or who knows know a celebrity,and probably wouldnt know what you meant if you asked them)unlike a lot of 'jokey' irish guys..and the put downs there are none,but maybe thats just what i have noticed so far,im not going to be stupid and tar them all with the same brush..But i think maybe the culture is different there is less swearing,and drinking,for a start but past that..you know,having said that i dont think all of them are angels im sure there are a few bastards :)
    ah sure i know what you mean, you can't beat an irish woman's nack for destroying a mans confidence :rolleyes:
    Ok I don't agree with her put-downs but lol... says he joining in with the insults of Irish women on this thread. :pac:

• Advertisement

Babybuff wrote: »
    Think ye should all do yourselves a favour and stay away from each other.
    Well no because most Irish men I've ever encountered are great and I'm not going to turn against all Irish men because of a few bad apples, as you'll get anywhere.
    And I'm not bitter or 13.

Well no because most Irish men I've ever encountered are great and I'm not going to turn against all Irish men because of a few bad apples, as you'll get anywhere.
    And I'm not bitter or 13.
    i wasn't talking to you, always figured you were married. As for doling out advice to this bunch, fcuk that.

dory wrote: »
    From my experience women improve themselves for themselves, not for men. I've heard plenty of women say that when they go out they dress up to impress other women, not men. There's a lot of competition between women to look good. Whereas a man wouldn't give a toss what another man was wearing.
    Women mostly get dressed up etc to make men fancy them - it's partly for themselves, but that's because flattery and admiration are enjoyable. As for competing with other women, not to my knowledge - not saying it can't exist but it is not the rule. Honestly, you'd believe anything that fits your unproven theory about women not giving a tuppence here about men.

here's an idea. maybe for just this weekend everyone should try find one person to compliment without seeking anything in return. If they happen to be out and about. and report back and let us know how you got on. Just one nice thing to one random stranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Nice idea Babybuff

I personally don't think that the fact that SOME Irish men & women dislike each other is necessary a bad thing.

We really need to dilute our gene pool on this little island so having more Irish people hooking up with foreigners is a good thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Christ reading this thread would almost make people stay in an unhappy marriage! Where is the positivity? Is single life really such a bad place? Christ its a wonder anybody has a partner if this is the way people think and carry on! Men and women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Babybuff wrote: »
    here's an idea. maybe for just this weekend everyone should try find one person to compliment without seeking anything in return. If they happen to be out and about. and report back and let us know how you got on. Just one nice thing to one random stranger.

Would need leaving the chips on the shoulder aside. People sense chips on shoulders especially smothered in "curry"!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Raekwon wrote: »
    We really need to dilute our gene pool on this little island so having more Irish people hooking up with foreigners is a good thing in my opinion.

We do? OK, so it's good that people aren't marrying the fella from two fields over, or their first cousins anymore, like in our grandparents time, but marrying someone from the other end of the island is no bad thing. Of course marrying into other cultures can only be good, but seriously, Ireland isn't that tiny. For a truly inbred nation, you'd be want to be going for way lower populations. I except that the offspring of maybe only ten years ago, who will still be predominantly Irish will be taller, better-looking etc than my generation (1980s). Time will tell, I suppose.

Anyway, we're not lacking foreign genes ourselves. My sister carries a malaria-resistance gene generally only found in people from southern Europe, Africa and other countries where malaria is prevalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Sea Filly wrote: »
    We do?

Yes

• Advertisement

Domo230 wrote: »

Like Mr. Mackay's arm-positioning in the still followed by the lamb's face in the next one.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

CL7 wrote: »
    But there's loads of women who want a man like the above. They don't all think the same way.

Yup and I would still be single (and most likely a virgin) if they didn't.
    Well whatever the term is - when you said it is used as a buzzword to cover up for other attributes. News to me.

You said my description of confidence in the post you replied to was 'alien to you'. You were very specific about that and so I am asking you what description you are talking about, cause I know I didn't post one. Kinda ironic then that you called my post "presumptuous" when you were guilty of a little presuming yourself.
    Using unrealistic extremes doesn't make for effective debating. So for a woman not to be shallow/a gold-digger, she has to go out with a homeless guy - as if there's nothing in between him and a rich guy?
    Eh, I was stripping a man of all he had and leaving him with just confidence. To suggest I use a man somewhere between the extremes, shows that you just didn't get the point, as had I used a man somewhere 'between the extremes' as you inferred I should, then he would obviously have many more attributes than the guy with nothing, wouldn't he and so the point would obviously then be nullified.
    I'm happy to let you think that.

I'm happy for you to think that you let me think something.
    You seem to be looking at confidence entirely through the prism of attracting the opposite sex: it's more basic than that.
    We are discussing the traits that women find attractive in men (or at least that's the direction the thread had careered off in) and so it's natural that this is the prism in which my comments were and are based.
    Confidence means not having to feel you need to back up your confidence with "goods."
    That's a nice soundbyte, but means shag all really. Still, you should try and sell it, be great for an After Shave advert.
    True self-confidence is about being comfortable with who you are, regardless of what "goods" you may or may not have.
    Of course and I have many friends who fit that very description. Men who undoubtedly have quite a few reasons to be lacking in confidence (unemployment, disabilities etc) and yet they are very confident in themselves but that is not something which you will find out from meeting them for five minutes or even one night in fact.
    No, I don't entirely accept that. I don't think you can generalise that *all men* lacking confidence have less going for them.
    Woah there, I said no such thing.

What I did say was that from the point of a woman looking at guys, the men lacking in confidence would be and I quote:
    Guys lacking confidence tend to be [..] less likely to have a lot going for them than the confident ones
    Far different from saying that "all men lacking confidence have less going for them".
    Confidence doesn't always come from outer trappings of success, either in a material sense or in terms of having some attractive qualities.
    I'm not suggesting it does, but it's the main one in the context of single people meeting and as men do the approaching, the decision whether or not to give the guy the time of day or not is made quite quickly. Far quicker than any of what you suggested could be correctly, let alone accurately, deemed or not and yes I know this is not the only avenue in which women are looking for evidence of confidence.
    Desperation isn't always a factor either: that only applies when someone is clearly trying to find a woman, but those aren't the only times women notice men and their confidence levels.
    I'm not suggesting it is but women that are attracted to confidence, won't have an opportunity to find the above out if the guy hasn't already shown enough signs of confidence previously in order for them to get far enough for a woman to find out the rest. Well not with any of the women in which I am referring anyway.
    I think the attraction to confidence is a pretty fundamental thing: it shows someone's at ease with themselves, which people find attractive. Maybe it's because that shows the person will not bring any serious drama to the table, but I think it's even more basic than that.
    All these things you list are also things which men would also like to see in women , but you don't hear men going on about confidence being something which they find attractive in the opposite sex, to anywhere near to the same degree as you hear women doing so and why would that be? I mean, if it just means what you're suggesting that it does, then how come men are not listing it such a fashion also?

If your thinking is correct (regarding these women who put confidence at the top of their list) then a shy Male Model would get little or no dates and an Ugly Guy with bags of confidence (not arrogance) would beating the ladies off (not inferring they would have cocks here) regularly - but that is not the way it is. So either all these women who put confidence as a top quality for men that they are attracted to, time and time again are either lying or it's a case of what I am suggesting and there is in fact more to meet the eye and that: when women put confidence as No.1 attractive quality, it is in fact more to do with what confidence in men is indicative of, which women are truly attracted to.

Confidence is something that people don't choose to have, it's something they have either earned, or just acquired over time for one reason or another. You can't just decide to be confident and so, when women seek it out, they know (even if only subconsciously) that any guy who is confident, is very likely to have very good reason to be and it is these reasons that they are attracted to.

Let's be honest, confidence is about success of one degree or another. You get a knock back, some criticism and your confidence can wain. You get a compliment, more security in your life, things work out, achieve some goals and your confidence soars. So when I say it is more what confidence in men is indicative of them having (or not having, as the case may be) which these self confessed women are reallyy attracted to, rather than just mere confidence in and of itself, it is for those reasons.

tl;dr

When the seagulls follow the trawler ..

...which these self confessed women...

OK, I'm freaked out, what other kinds of women are there? :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

I chose to stop modding and it was explained to you very clearly there was nothing mod-ish about what I did - I'm sure you've the comprehensional skills to grasp that.

As some one on here has said .... maybe I should try backseat modding. However - I'd rather not get banned. Therefore ....

OK. Passing comment (or taking relevant action) on how someone expresses themselves on here is a 'mod' perogative - general posters (or former mods) should stick to the subject matter . I choose to ignore ... very clear explanations ... and stick with my own perceptions of others wordplay on here - unless someone proves conclusively that I may be wrong and persuades me otherwise.
    However - as this is not a thread about modding, I suggest that defenses of such posts perceived to be 'mod' in nature, be relegated to some thread which is specific to such 'mod'ish comments and their relevance in a thread. I rest my case on this one because I've lost interest at the mo.

... but anyway, what I did wasn't backseat modding, as you know. And what that guy did... was trolling. And nobody was trying to get him banned - otherwise it would have been brought to a mod's attention.
    I can see why you'd be so defensive of trolling all right.
    Lost interest? Yeah right! You're like a dog with a bone.
    Believe whatever you like - your post history would suggest you'd love if people could get away with insulting others etc here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

CL7 wrote: »
    But there's loads of women who want a man like the above. They don't all think the same way.

Well whatever the term is - when you said it is used as a buzzword to cover up for other attributes. News to me.

You said my description of confidence in the post you replied to was 'alien to you'. You were very specific about that and so I am asking you what description you are talking about, cause I know I didn't post one. Kinda ironic then that you called my post "presumptuous" when you were guilty of a little presuming yourself.
    Using unrealistic extremes doesn't make for effective debating. So for a woman not to be shallow/a gold-digger, she has to go out with a homeless guy - as if there's nothing in between him and a rich guy?
    Eh, I was stripping a man of all he had and leaving him with just confidence. To suggest I use a man somewhere between the extremes, shows that you just didn't get the point, as had I used a man somewhere 'between the extremes' as you inferred I should, then he would obviously have many more attributes than the guy with nothing, wouldn't he and so the point would obviously then be nullified.
    I'm happy to let you think that.

You seem to be looking at confidence entirely through the prism of attracting the opposite sex: it's more basic than that.
    We are discussing the traits that women find attractive in men (or at least that's the direction the thread had careered off in) and so it's natural that this is the prism in which my comments were and are based.
    Confidence means not having to feel you need to back up your confidence with "goods."
    That's a nice soundbyte, but means shag all really. Still, you should try and sell it, be great for an After Shave advert.
    True self-confidence is about being comfortable with who you are, regardless of what "goods" you may or may not have.
    Of course and I have many friends who fit that very description. Men who undoubtedly have quite a few reasons to be lacking in confidence (unemployment, disabilities etc) and yet they are very confident in themselves but that is not something which you will find out from meeting them for five minutes or even one night in fact.
    No, I don't entirely accept that. I don't think you can generalise that *all men* lacking confidence have less going for them.

What I did say was that from the point of a woman looking at guys, the men lacking in confidence would be and I quote:
    Guys lacking confidence tend to be [..] less likely to have a lot going for them than the confident ones
    Far different from saying that "all men lacking confidence have less going for them".
    Confidence doesn't always come from outer trappings of success, either in a material sense or in terms of having some attractive qualities.
    I'm not suggesting it does, but it's the main one in the context of single people meeting and as men do the approaching, the decision whether or not to give the guy the time of day or not is made quite quickly. Far quicker than any of what you suggested could be correctly, let alone accurately, deemed or not and yes I know this is not the only avenue in which women are looking for evidence of confidence.
    Desperation isn't always a factor either: that only applies when someone is clearly trying to find a woman, but those aren't the only times women notice men and their confidence levels.
    I'm not suggesting it is but women that are attracted to confidence, won't have an opportunity to find the above out if the guy hasn't already shown enough signs of confidence previously in order for them to get far enough for a woman to find out the rest. Well not with any of the women in which I am referring anyway.
    I think the attraction to confidence is a pretty fundamental thing: it shows someone's at ease with themselves, which people find attractive. Maybe it's because that shows the person will not bring any serious drama to the table, but I think it's even more basic than that.
    All these things you list are also things which men would also like to see in women , but you don't hear men going on about confidence being something which they find attractive in the opposite sex, to anywhere near to the same degree as you hear women doing so and why would that be? I mean, if it just means what you're suggesting that it does, then how come men are not listing it such a fashion also?

If your thinking is correct (regarding these women who put confidence at the top of their list) then a shy Male Model would get little or no dates and an Ugly Guy with bags of confidence (not arrogance) would beating the ladies off (not inferring they would have cocks here) regularly - but that is not the way it is. So either all these women who put confidence as a top quality for men that they are attracted to, time and time again are either lying or it's a case of what I am suggesting and there is in fact more to meet the eye and that: when women put confidence as No.1 attractive quality, it is in fact more to do with what confidence in men is indicative of, which women are truly attracted to.

Confidence is something that people don't choose to have, it's something they have either earned, or just acquired over time for one reason or another. You can't just decide to be confident and so, when women seek it out, they know (even if only subconsciously) that any guy who is confident, is very likely to have very good reason to be and it is these reasons that they are attracted to.

Let's be honest, confidence is about success of one degree or another. You get a knock back, some criticism and your confidence can wain. You get a compliment, more security in your life, things work out, achieve some goals and your confidence soars. So when I say it is more what confidence in men is indicative of them having (or not having, as the case may be) which these self confessed women are reallyy attracted to, rather than just mere confidence in and of itself, it is for those reasons.

tl;dr

You are describing circumstantial confidence which is different to core confidence. You can be confident without relying on validation from external sources.

You can choose to be confident, approach loads of women and you become indifferent to rejection or how well it goes, then you become more relaxed approaching women over time. That's what confidence is, feeling relaxed, a lack of anxiety, not being stifled, being out of your head focused on your own amusement, not whether you are making a good impression, all it takes to become like that is effort in the beginning to approach despite your fear.

You can be poor and pull hot women when you are confident, charming with good social skills. A confident homeless bum on the street is on the other end of the spectrum, they haven't met the simple criteria of being a normal well adjusted human being.

So confidence is a huge factor but there are other factors, you don't need to be rich to get hot women, in not saying it doesn't help but you simply don't need it.

Cherrypicking ftw! Anyhoo, for me and many others, confidence simply means being content in oneself rather than being angry and resentful towards an entire gender because of past experiences - or lack thereof. It does not mean "Oh he's confident, he must be rich/powerful/well endowed" - a rather spiteful and... kinda scary notion to have about those who prefer someone who's happy in their skin rather than being bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

tl;dr

I don't have the time at the moment to respond to each individual point here, but I think saying that no-one is suggesting that confidence is the sole factor in determining attraction would sum up a lot of what I might say.

As for the bolded part: I disagree with a lot of that.
    First of all, you've deliberately chosen extreme examples, like the homeless man earlier.
    Second, I've never said that confidence overrides all possible flaws. If someone's very ugly then their confidence will help them, but they'll still find it difficult to form relationships due to their extreme ugliness. I've said a few times that confidence isn't the only important factor.
    The same goes for the male model: if he's diffident then that'll be a hindrance, but his dazzling looks will still help him meet people.

But it's more constructive to posit more plausible examples: a good-looking man, but not a model, with low self-esteem, who finds it difficult to meet women and start relationships, and an ugly man, but not a repulsive one, with self-confidence who has little trouble with the ladies.

Surely you must agree that such people exist.
    If you go to PI or read letters from men to Agony Aunts/Uncles you'll find plenty of cases of shy good-looking men who find it hard to talk to women.
    There is still something of an emphasis on the man initiating contact with a woman in our society (though it's not as great as it has been in the past) and if a man can't approach a woman, his looks won't help him if she's not going to initiate contact.
    Even if she does, if he has nothing interesting to say or is nervous, that might be off-putting, and it still might be up to him to take the plunge like kissing her or asking her back to his place.

On the other side of the coin, look at someone like Henry Kissinger. He's never been conventionally handsome and has one of the most boring voices imaginable, but plenty of beautiful women couldn't resist him because of his charm and charisma.
    Look at Jack Black: not much of a looker on paper but he's got a lot of fans because of his confidence and because he's "funny."
    Mick Jagger, Keith Richard, Bill Clinton... I think there are more famous attractive yet apparently ugly famous men than there are attractive and handsome ones!
    And those are just the famous ones: I've seen plenty of first-hand examples of guys charming girls despite not being studs, and good-looking guys who get lots of glances but never take their chances due to shyness.

Basically: unless you're handsome yet completely lacking in self-confidence or quite confident yet spectacularly ugly, you'll be able to attract women.

Finally: confidence is something you can choose to have. Of course events in our life can raise or lower or confidence, and traumatic events can be hard to recover from, but that doesn't mean we're definitely stuck at the levels of confidence these events cause.
    Many people pick themselves up after suffering a blow in life.
    Many materially successful people lack self-confidence: why else would so many rich men, for example, be so concerned with having trophy wives and expensive cars? Because they're worried about what other people think about them.

Confidence is about how you feel about yourself, and you're the only one who really has control over that.
    It's not an essential part of your personality that you can't do anything about.
    Some people do find it more difficult to improve their confidence than others, but I don't believe it's ever impossible.
    I used to be quite shy, but I decided to work on that, as I felt I had good reason to be more confident in myself, and it would make my life better, which it has.

I think some men like to say confidence can't be improved upon as saying so allows them to excuse themselves from the occasionally difficult task of improving their confidence levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Wattle wrote: »
    I'm a single bloke early 40's. Ten years ago I was a bit panicked by the idea of 'being alone forever' but not now. I've kinda eased into solitude and am happy in my own company. Occassionally the snake does stir but maybe only once a fortnight. I'm really glad that I'm not a slave to my own sex drive anymore. I've been pretty much asexual for a long time now and to be honest it's a big relief. I haven't completely given up on the idea of meeting someone special but as one of my favourite singers says 'I'd rather be alone than try to be somebody that I'm not'.

Is that you Father? ;)

• Advertisement

The problem in Ireland is that we rely too much on the pubs and clubs to meet people, which is when people are generally at their worst. That's why there's so much gender bashing on boards. The men are drunken gobsheens who can't talk to women, and the women are stuck up cows who won't give men the time of day. That seems to be the general consensus here. Yet despite this, the Irish seem do well with foreigners.

The influx of foreign nationals into this country was a good thing. I know from my own experience if I was to stick to the Irish dating pool my options would be very limited. I haven't been with an Irish woman in over 5 years. Now I’m not saying all Irish women are terrible, but the Irish dating scene is just appalling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement