Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conifers

Options
  • 06-05-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I recently topped and pruned my conifers at the front of the house. I was wondering if I could plant some sort of climbing plant up the trunks or would it look odd. I was thinking of some clematis plants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is possible to put climbers up trees, whether it would look good depends on the trees and the particular situation. Are the trees now bare of greenery?

There might be a problem with conifers as other plants don't usually like the soil under a conifer, and, while I don't know what the trees look like now, I'm not sure that conifer and clematis would be the most pleasing combination.

Other plants you could consider would be 'Rambling Rector' rose - a mad, gorgeous, and amazing sight, and honeysuckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sardonic

It's just one tree thats a bit bare, the climbing rose sounds nice, I'll give that a go and see how it turns out.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Try and plant it a few feet away from the base of the tree and offer a support of some sort to lead it to the tree. I think you will find the ground will be 'dead' under the tree.

Advertisement