Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Significantly Increase Out of Bundle Data Charges

Options
  • 06-05-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

Meteor have increased their default out of bundle data charges to 79 cent for any usage up to 50 MB.

They have also increased the rate for usage beyond 50 MB from 2 cent per MB to 99 cent per MB. An increase of 4,850%.

This is outrageous, sneaky and will cause many many more episodes of data bill shock.

This comes at a time that Three are doing unlimited data packages and Tesco Mobile are reducing out of bundle data charges. Both of which are reducing the risk of data bill shock.

Meteor/Eircom seem intent in deliberately profiting from data bill shock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That is fairly sneaky alright, and that rate of 99c per mb was the rate they used to have but they switched it to 2c/mb there about a year ago, Sad to see them jack it up again. They must be seeing a big increase in the amount of people using data or something..

http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/mobileinternet/payg_pricing/

And their site is still wrong lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Reposted.

It's in order to get people to sign up to the (better) add ons.

4.99 per month is 500mb.

9.99 per month is 1gb.

Once you go over that, you revert to day rate prices, so even if you are using 50mb a day, that's roughly 1.5gb per month at a price of about 21€ or so.

The current rate of 9.99 gives you 1024gb or 20 days of the day pass if you are using 50mb a day. 10 more days at .79c works out at 7.90€ plus the original €9.99 which is actually less than what you were paying if you were using the 50mb each and every day, which is unlikely for the most part as very few would use that and not be on one of the bill plans with 2gb to 12gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Fungus wrote: »
    Meteor have increased their default out of bundle data charges to 79 cent for any usage up to 50 MB.

They have also increased the rate for usage beyond 50 MB from 2 cent per MB to 99 cent per MB. An increase of 4,850%.

Utterly ridiculous and sickening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

long_b wrote: »
    Utterly ridiculous and sickening.
    Especially given that the apps they install themselves could clock up 50mb a month with their chatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Especially given that the apps they install themselves could clock up 50mb a month with their chatter.

What apps are these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Hajelj Gejelj apps

• Registered Users Posts: 44 IrishJoker

Surely though this is a change to the Terms and Conditions allowing you to get out of the contract without penalty.

Am I right?

I think I'll call them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

IrishJoker wrote: »
    Surely though this is a change to the Terms and Conditions allowing you to get out of the contract without penalty.

Am I right?

I think you might be right. Let us know how you get on - I wouldn't mind breaking out of my contract and going from the Galaxy S2 to the Galaxy S3!! :D

IrishJoker wrote: »

Am I right?

Prices only increased on PayG. There is no change on bill pay, so no changes to terms and condition, so you can't get out of contract. They learned their lesson the first time.

http://www.meteor.ie/bill-pay/other-charges/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i ****in hate this ****in rip off ****in country.

thats a bit sneeky i think. i think its unreasonable to expect payg customers to check that page all the time and a text should be sent to every customer to advise them of it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

A text was sent out last week about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

well then at least theyre being upfront about it. still a rip off though but then in fairness to meteor their bundles are decent enough value (relatively speaking).

does anyone have the content of the sms? just out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

chrislad wrote: »
    Prices only increased on PayG. There is no change on bill pay, so no changes to terms and condition, so you can't get out of contract. They learned their lesson the first time.

http://www.meteor.ie/bill-pay/other-charges/

It is not just prepay customers. It is all customers.

The link, you gave above, lists the current Meteor charges. The new data charges apply from 29 May 2012.

From the new T&C's from 29 May 2012:
    The current daily pricing structure for Mobile Internet Browsing will change for all voice customers to a flat daily price of 79c for all data consumed up to 50MB. This does not affect any existing data add-ons or bundled data usage within tariffs.
    In addition, the current out of bundle rate for Mobile Internet Browsing of 2c per MB will change to 99c per MB on any out of bundle usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I certainly didn't get any texts anyway

marathonic wrote: »
    I think you might be right. Let us know how you get on - I wouldn't mind breaking out of my contract and going from the Galaxy S2 to the Galaxy S3!! :D

Didn't get a chance today - will get on it tomorrow and let ya know.

So I called them and I'm on the Bill Pay Unlimited and they said that the NEW charges WILL effect me if I go over my bundle allowance.

But.......she said that the new charges weren't a change to my Terms and Conditions which I think is completely wrong - what you think ??

Anyway I told her I would call back cancellations tomorrow between 9.30 and 5.30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Just spotted this. I used this loop to disconnect from O2 a couple of years ago. From what I can remember it seems to be the same idea, although I'm not sure if it was data-related that time.
    Anyway, a change of terms is a change of terms! Good luck to all if it's the route you decide to take. I'm lucky that I got the "€25 for life" deal so I won't be moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah, it is a change in terms.

It is listed, as such, on the Meteor website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Anyone know Meteor's rates for calls from mobile to mobile? I'm signed up for free texts to all networks with the 20 quid top up but I reckon the calls are costing me a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Check it out HERE. Don't see your bill type though, but the following seems to be standard
    Standard rates:
    Calls 25c/minTexts 10c
    Free voicemail

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Anyone know Meteor's rates for calls from mobile to mobile? I'm signed up for free texts to all networks with the 20 quid top up but I reckon the calls are costing me a bomb.

29c a minute for PayG - That's about 67 minutes a month. You could go on their BP Lite 25, which is 25e for 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 1gb of internet if you want more minutes. There's also a 40e package, which is 400 minutes, unlimited texts and 2gb of internet.

So I called Meteor Cancellations on 1800 222 085 and they told me that the change only effects PrePay customers.

Is this correct - anyone else want to try ?

This is the line I'm concerned about - "In addition, the current out of bundle rate for Mobile Internet Browsing of 2c per MB will change to 99c per MB on any out of bundle usage."

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Well their T&C prices for the bill pay plans (dated Jan 2012) state:

205169.jpg

So I'm not sure but it does seem to look like it'll affect bill pay customers although the price up to 50mbs is different at only 70 cent as opposed 79cent

http://www.meteor.ie/rubylith/files/Meteor_Bill_Pay_Pricing_Guide_Jan-12_v.2.pdf?sa=U&ei=hUQ-T4TLPOnC0QXbrKSsDw&ved=0CAQQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFrc6C8-vzqyDZnBbQU1XxNpK1QVg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

This is outrageous, sneaky and will cause many many more episodes of data bill shock.

This comes at a time that Three are doing unlimited data packages and Tesco Mobile are reducing out of bundle data charges. Both of which are reducing the risk of data bill shock.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Move packages, read the terms and conditions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Random wrote: »
    does anyone have the content of the sms? just out of interest.
    It said:
    From May 29th a one day online pass will be charged at 79c for up to 50 MB and 99c per MB outside this. See meteor.ie for details.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Well their T&C prices for the bill pay plans (dated Jan 2012) state:

205169.jpg

So I'm not sure but it does seem to look like it'll affect bill pay customers although the price up to 50mbs is different at only 70 cent as opposed 79cent

http://www.meteor.ie/rubylith/files/Meteor_Bill_Pay_Pricing_Guide_Jan-12_v.2.pdf?sa=U&ei=hUQ-T4TLPOnC0QXbrKSsDw&ved=0CAQQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFrc6C8-vzqyDZnBbQU1XxNpK1QVg

It increased from 69c to 70c because of the VAT increase at the start of the year. There is no increase for bill paying customers at all. The only increase is for PayG customers, but Meteor have introduced data bundles for PayG which I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

chrislad wrote: »
    It increased from 69c to 70c because of the VAT increase at the start of the year. There is no increase for bill paying customers at all. The only increase is for PayG customers, but Meteor have introduced data bundles for PayG which I mentioned earlier.

As far as i have heard it is across the board and will effect Bill Pay customers because it changes their out of bundle charges. In my books that is a get out of contract clause. If it was due to the vat increase would they not have had to simply rise the cost of the plans as they would simply be charging more vat?!?!?!?!

flipall wrote: »
    As far as i have heard it is across the board and will effect Bill Pay customers because it changes their out of bundle charges. In my books that is a get out of contract clause. If it was due to the vat increase would they not have had to simply rise the cost of the plans as they would simply be charging more vat?!?!?!?!

You've heard wrong. It does not change Bill Pay customers day rate pay, only PayG. The slight increase on bill pay from 69c to 70c was due to the VAT change. Out of bundle prices are still 2c per MB. Only PayG is changing to 79c per day and 99c per MB, which is crazy, but the new add ons are there now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement