Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considerations for a new monitor?

Options
  • 06-05-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, Im buying a new monitor, I cannot fit my existing monitor with a monitor arm so I am going to have to buy a new one.

I was wondering what should I be considering? , I spend a lot of time staring at it,

I will be running off a laptop and I am considering connecting two monitors using this... one of these Matrox DualHead2Go or http://www.villagetronic.com/vtbook/index.html

Anyway the main thing is a monitor that doesn't make me tired and best for your eyes......about 23 inch I think is fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

a Dell u2312hm sounds perfect for your needs.

it's €189 on komplett.ie at the moment. I've used it myself and its very very nice.

IPS is going to be much better for eye strain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

cheers man, so IPS is only on some monitors? does a 2ms difference make a difference on the refresh? im not a gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If you not a gamer then you dot even need to bother about refresh rates. I am gamer and I am using u2312hm monitor myself, it has 8ms refresh rates, which is support to be pants for gamers. I guess I am not pro gamer then, because I dont feel difference m8.

It's a great great monitor for any needs. Best bang for your money.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

In games where precise inputs are required (down to the frame) the difference between 2 and 8 ms isn't huge but could make a difference. For the likes of music games it's enough to put one off, and in fighting games it's about half a frame which again, isn't a big deal but could be enough to occasionally screw you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    a Dell u2312hm sounds perfect for your needs.

it's €189 on komplett.ie at the moment. I've used it myself and its very very nice.

IPS is going to be much better for eye strain too.
    how much of a difference is there between an ips screen and a crt? I'm going to have to move to a flat panel due to lack of space, but I'm wary of the loss of quality, ghosting, flicker etc once I give up my 21" crt. I've been putting this off for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

how much of a difference is there between an ips screen and a crt? I'm going to have to move to a flat panel due to lack of space, but I'm wary of the loss of quality, ghosting, flicker etc once I give up my 21" crt. I've been putting this off for years.
    CRT is surprisingly still the best. well the good ones are. my parents are graphics designers so they invested €1000's back in the day in monitors, and I played age of empires like a boss on them when they weren't using them :D

that said, TN is very much a downgrade :o. I'm probably the closest I've been to those CRTs now, but I paid €300 for a no name Korean 27" IPS monitor. you're response time is going to be way down (6-8ms vs 0ms), but I doubt you'll notice it. I'm on 6ms, and my previous monitor was 2, but I don't notice any difference, and I've clocked more hours on BF3 than I care to admit.

RGB colour reproduction, ultra wide viewing angles, etc etc. its nothing like TN, and I'll never go back after using this monitor.

tl;dr: IPS is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

CRT is surprisingly still the best. well the good ones are. my parents are graphics designers so they invested €1000's back in the day in monitors, and I played age of empires like a boss on them when they weren't using them :D

that said, TN is very much a downgrade :o. I'm probably the closest I've been to those CRTs now, but I paid €300 for a no name Korean 27" IPS monitor. you're response time is going to be way down (6-8ms vs 0ms), but I doubt you'll notice it. I'm on 6ms, and my previous monitor was 2, but I don't notice any difference, and I've clocked more hours on BF3 than I care to admit.

RGB colour reproduction, ultra wide viewing angles, etc etc. its nothing like TN, and I'll never go back after using this monitor.

So what does this screen fall under exactly?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50528&agid=1649

Doesnt say either TN or IPS, just TFT active matrix, whatever that is.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

BillyCom wrote: »

Doesnt say either TN or IPS, just TFT active matrix, whatever that is.. :confused:
    unless you see something which specifically states ips, I'd assume tn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

BillyCom wrote: »

Its a TN. Review here.
    Don't let the fact that it is a TN put you off too much, TN's have come on a lot the last few years. A good TN can look as good as a budget IPS panel, but with 120hz and low input lag. I looked at a lot of monitors lately and went for TN over IPS because of 120hz/2ms, ok the colour accuracy might not be perfect, but I'm only gaming on them. Depends on what you are going to be doing with the screen.

I went for three SA950D's, which have a similar screen to the 700D. The only concern I have is Samsung can be a bit lax with regards to shiping monitors with backlight bleeding issues.:( I'll let you know what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

3 27" monitors ? I hope you don't have any issues with neck strain :D

Theres alot of debate on 120hz vs IPS/VA and which is better. Ultimately I think IPS is seems more for a graphic designer or somebody who wants good viewing angles.

I think for somebody whos having eye strain issues 120hz may be better for eye strain due to the faster update rate. 120hz does require specific graphics cards and a powerful PC if you want to use it for games. Right now this is based off using a friends IPS monitor for a while (which does seem much more vivid). I'm waiting on my own 120hz monitor, I'll be sure to report back and see if my theorys right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

Some great info in this thread

I was looking at this it has speakers and VESA, which I want.... but it doesn't mention IPS

http://www.dabs.ie/products/iiyama-24--e2473hds-2ms-dvi-hdmi-7C7W.html?src=3
    I presume, then its not IPS

Slothy wrote: »
    Some great info in this thread

I was looking at this it has speakers and VESA, which I want.... but it doesn't mention IPS

http://www.dabs.ie/products/iiyama-24--e2473hds-2ms-dvi-hdmi-7C7W.html?src=3
    I presume, then its not IPS

Its aTN

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/iiyama-prolite-e2473hds-p10816/test.html

@imitation: I wanted 23" model of same but not available, so I'll take my chances with neck injury :)

@ gylnf - where did you get the 27" monitors from and what did they cost. Just wondering 'cos its priced €500 on HWVS.

Got them from amazon.de, they were 500, now 518. Inc. vat came to €541 each.

The S23A700D is only €233, so I'm trying to decide if its worth paying more than double to to up to 27" atm :D

Advertisement