Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing Around a shower

• 06-05-2012 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hello All

I got a plumber about 1 year ago to fix a leaking shower - he re-tiled around the shower and fitted silicone - however a few months later it started to leak again. I tried putting on more silicone myself and although its improved it still leaks.

Whats the best solution - should i strip out all old silicone or is there ant good product/brand anyone recommends. I have posted a few piutures

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Its a pity the shower tray is not tight wall to wall, you are going to still have leaks even if you do a good job re-sealing it next time. The Silicone will break down over a number of years.

If you are set on re-siliconeing, then get every bit of old silicone off, leave to dry up for a good couple of days and get Tec-7 in the colour of your tiles. Doing around shower tray and up the sides of the tiles as well....

Best solution really is shower tray tight wall to wall...Also put waterproof strip on tray before installation

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for reply - Where there is a large gap between shower tray and wall (see picture) - would i be better putting fresh group or silicone here?. Also in the other corners and up the corner of walls should i use Tec 7 or is grout any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thats a very bad job for a plumber or a tiler to leave like that. The problem with this is there is to many areas that will move.

If this was me i would strip the tiles put an extra sheet of plasterboard on the wall to build it into the tray and then retile.

However guessing that you want as low cost as possible i would fill it with as much silicone as i could get away with. Tbh if i had spare tiles i would create a triangler ramp to to speak to when the water comes down the wall it would flow into the tray rather than sit on the ledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I think joey is being too reserved with his judgement. It is an absolute shambles of a way to leave a job. I hope he is a decent plumber but in fairness, id guess it was a cowboy. As mad m has said, you will continue to have problems even after resealing.

If you have tiles left, I would remove the lower layer completely, fit the sealing strips in the picture below and re-tile. You might still have a problem on the left side as the shower tray size is not compatable with the wall width. Joey suggested slabing the wall out. A good option, easier if the shower is not on that wall. Either way, I think that you might have to bite the bullit on this one. Otherwise, the problem will resurface at some point. it should not cost too much and having the spare tiles there would be half the battle :)

08502fb8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Remove tray , remove tiles, reslab wall, classic seal on tray and then retile. Only proper solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 crubbeens

Hi, I had the same problem myself, upstairs bathroom, kitchen ceiling ruined!
    I went for a Neptune shower enclosure, which comes with the walls bonded to the base, negating any need for re-tiling slabbing etc, installed myself in less than a day with great results.

You would require a three sided enclosure check their spec' list page.

Here's the link: http://www.neptunebathing.com/index.html

Advertisement