Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

negotiating on price.

• 06-05-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

hi, dont know if this has been done here before but have a quick query for you knowledgeable folks..

went to currys today to buy a TV and assumed they would be flexible on price, but there was no budging so i just walked away.

so my question is would this the norm with TV retailers, or is it just the big retailers.

can anyone recommend a TV retailers that would be willing to negotiate?

thanks.

Will

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ehh not many if any will budge.

it's hard times as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

thanks, i would've though that would be more of a reason to negotiate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

ask to speak to the manager, it's precisely because of "hard times" that deals will be done. You should expect some reduction if you ask for it, stores often have a policy, a specific %, that they'll offer if asked. I've gotten good deals in Currys when buying a few products and I got the clear feeling this was normal there.
    But you're right. If they won't budge take your business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

it was funny, she was willing to offer me a deal on a dvd player and accessories but not the tv, i didn't need anything else though and she couldn't concede on the tv.. madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Will23 wrote: »
    it was funny, she was willing to offer me a deal on a dvd player and accessories but not the tv, i didn't need anything else though and she couldn't concede on the tv.. madness!

Was it on "Special Offer" already? Maybe there was no room for a discount on it. In which case she should have explained that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

There is always room for a discount, even during the recession, any other shop will do you a deal, I always aim for 10% discount.

The grunts in Currys cannot/will not do you a deal but you can get a pricematch if you find it cheaper elsewhere (and you will). Personaly I wouldn't buy a toaster off them clowns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    ask to speak to the manager, it's precisely because of "hard times" that deals will be done. You should expect some reduction if you ask for it, stores often have a policy, a specific %, that they'll offer if asked. I've gotten good deals in Currys when buying a few products and I got the clear feeling this was normal there.
    But you're right. If they won't budge take your business elsewhere.

As others have said, very often there is no deal on the "main" item you are purchasing, be it a laptop or TV, however often they will "throw" in a free/cheaper bag/piece of software/table/DVD player etc etc

You have more chance bargaining on price in the independent stores where the owner or senior person is on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

kippy wrote: »
    You have more chance bargaining on price in the independent stores where the owner or senior person is on the floor.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jay1912

I managed to get about 200 euro knocked off series 7 led about 7 weeks ago and also threw in 2 extra pairs of active 3d glasses free, this was in did Lucan, after I tried powercity ( offered me a free tv cleaner - :eek:). Currys - nada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Currys (and PC World) are part of the DSG group. They are so big that a lot of the LG and Samsung TVs they sell are special models unique to the DSG Group so the 'price match' promise is a load of cobblers because nobody else sells that exact model.

That's also why they feel it's not necessary to discount, because you can't do an exact comparison with other retailers' prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've been told Harvey normans will Haggle, try there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,099 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Currys' vocabulary doesn't include haggling in my experience. I spotted a display model of a radio/cd player etc a couple of years ago in Limerick. They had no more in stock and they weren't getting any new ones, and they refused point-blank to discount the well-thumbed model on the shelf. I assumed that one of the staff wanted to get his hands on it, so I left empty-handed.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Currys' vocabulary doesn't include haggling in my experience. I spotted a display model of a radio/cd player etc a couple of years ago in Limerick. They had no more in stock and they weren't getting any new ones, and they refused point-blank to discount the well-thumbed model on the shelf. I assumed that one of the staff wanted to get his hands on it, so I left empty-handed.

The bigger the organisation, the less power that's delegated to the foot soldiers. Currys floor staff are probably forbidden from haggling and when they scan the barcode of an item, that's the price, end of story.

It's more likely in the situation that you encountered that the end of line item was eventually put into a crusher rather than sold to a customer or staffie at a discount. If the word went around that Currys floor staff had discretion to sell end of line stock at a discount, they'd never shift anything so it's sticker price or get lost.

In the case of a lot of items, the only stock you'll find in PC World or Currys is end of line, that's where they clean up. Try finding a current model of Logitech mouse or Microsoft keyboard in a branch of PC World, I bet you won't find any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

cloud493 wrote: »
    I've been told Harvey normans will Haggle, try there :)

Recently bought a Canon printer that was tagged at 199 euro for 185 just by asking "What's your best price ?" !! Felt I'd been denied the haggling experience but still got a bit of a discount so all good :). This was in the Swords, Airside branch.

Ken

I bought an iMac in Harvey Norman a while back, the sales assistant said he couldn't discount it (I suspect under their Apple Ts & Cs) but I got him to throw in a few printer cartridges and other bits and bobs for a knock-down price so officially I paid list price for the iMac but I got a decent discount on the bundle.

Advertisement