Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempts and thwarted attempts

• 06-05-2012 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Not looking for legal advice, just hypothetical discussion.

Does Haughton -v- Smith [1973] 3 ALL ER 1109 cover a situation, where Police learn of a crime someone intends to commit, and then lie in wait and arrest the person before they can commit the crime.

Say for example, the Police learn of an intended bank robbery and then intercept the potential criminals on the way to the bank and stop them, therefore making it impossible for them to commit the crime. :confused:

As it has been described to me it would seem to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

If being arrested by the police were to be treated as an event making a crime impossible, per Haughton v Smith, it would effectively make the crime of "attempted ______" worthless. For example, attempted murder would thus require an accused to physically shoot (but miss) his target.

Taking your hypothetical situation. Maybe if, en route to the bank and before they were arrested by the police, the bank was destroyed in an earthquake then there may be an impossibility argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Not looking for legal advice, just hypothetical discussion.

Does Haughton -v- Smith [1973] 3 ALL ER 1109 cover a situation, where Police learn of a crime someone intends to commit, and then lie in wait and arrest the person before they can commit the crime.

Say for example, the Police learn of an intended bank robbery and then intercept the potential criminals on the way to the bank and stop them, therefore making it impossible for them to commit the crime. :confused:

As it has been described to me it would seem to.

I think you misunderstand Haughton. From what I think happened, police stop van, discover its full of stolen goods, take van and two men to police station. Then some police officer comes up with idea, let van continue on road and then catch all the rest of the bad guys. All good so far, then bad guys arrested and charged with attempting to handling stolen goods.

The court held that as the goods where in the power of the police, then no longer stolen. So not enough to just believe that goods are stolen, but goods must actually be stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭theAwakening

So not enough to just believe that goods are stolen, but goods must actually be stolen.

just on that last point...

is it effectively determined by that case law that for a prosecution to succeed for handling stolen property, the owner must be identifiable & be in a position to give evidence?

or, would an admission alone by the accused that he believes the property to be stolen be sufficient for a successful prosecution,, without the owner's evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

I think conspiracy to commit a crime would cover this but I'm not 100% sure. Interesting one....

Advertisement