Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair boarding

• 06-05-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Sitting in the airport watching the flight que before the plane even arrives have to say I have to admire Michael OLeary for being able to condition passengers like this.

But I have just seen a group of 4 lads join their mate at the top of the que and pick up their bags.

If I was queuing for the flight I'd be compelled to words. So what is the etiquette for queuing can you "savies" in a lie, when is it admissible to cut a que etc. are there a set a rules akin to the shotgun rule book!

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You have a seat assigned to you when you check in do you not, so what's the rush to get on the plane?

Never understood that, people all want on first and then when they're on can't wait to get off it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If your friends save you a place in a static queue, that's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

awec wrote: »
    You have a seat assigned to you when you check in do you not, so what's the rush to get on the plane?

Never understood that, people all want on first and then when they're on can't wait to get off it again.

Its Ryanair no seat assignments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Ryanair is free seating.

Meh. Either way, you're gonna get a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I love it when they announce that the priority queue is boarding, and all the shmucks join that, and always get turned away. While I stay where I am, laughing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its Ryanair, wars have been started over less than arguments about seats on those flights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

This is one phenomenon I will never understand.

Seats are not assigned unless you pay extra. The flight will not be overbooked.

I don't get why people feel the need to stand like lemmings for 45 minutes to an hour for a flight to London or other European City that takes about the same.

Sit in the pub until there are about 10 people left to board then join the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

maglite wrote: »
    Sitting in the airport watching the flight que before the plane even arrives have to say I have to admire Michael OLeary for being able to condition passengers like this.

But I have just seen a group of 4 lads join their mate at the top of the que and pick up their bags.

If I was queuing for the flight I'd be compelled to words. So what is the etiquette for queuing can you "savies" in a lie, when is it admissible to cut a que etc. are there a set a rules akin to the shotgun rule book!

Ryanair offer you the option to purchase priority boarding OP.

let's work of the assumption these lads purchased such tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Perhaps they had been in the que all ready and left to go to the toilet. Personally I never que unless I have too, prefer to sit and people watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

When others are queuing for the flight, I am in the bar having a pint.

Window seats are the best
    Also going on first sit in the first seat on the row no family will try to climb over you

The only time it's worth queuing is when you want to all sit together.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Ghandee wrote: »
    Ryanair offer you the option to purchase priority boarding OP.

let's work of the assumption these lads purchased such tickets.

The only thing more stupid than paying for such seats is to then queue to receive them.

People buy these seats to avoid having to queue. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Priority boarding is a joke. I was on a flight from London to Dublin, boarding from the "normal queue" meaning we boarded about 2 minutes after priority boarding. A lot of people were getting on at the front of the plane so myself and my sister went to the back of the plane. Landed in Dublin and had to get a bus to the terminal. Everyone from the back of the plane got on one bus and it pulled away from the plane before the bus that had the people with "Priority boarding" and we were in the terminal 5 minutes before them :D:D

There's no need to pay extra for it unless you absolutely need an extra minute or two when you get off the plane or if you have a large group of people that HAVE to sit together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yes thats another way they make their money by selling assigned seating, I don't fly very often but I'd stand in line for a window seat, last time on a plane on the way back the OH insisted it was only fair for him to have the window seat back from venice and read the paper/a book the whole way back as I tried to glance over to look at the Alps.

But thats nice and all but most people will get window seats is there any point in getting that mad about one or two people joining their friends in front of you, except if that meant you were losing out on something because of them.

And no its not acceptable when you're queuing and 15 of the group in front of you friend's arrive "back". if they werent there at the start or there are more than two of them good luck!, if its just one person that is always fine imo.

The only time it's worth queuing is when you want to all sit together.

especially when you have children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

This is one phenomenon I will never understand.

Seats are not assigned unless you pay extra. The flight will not be overbooked.

I don't get why people feel the need to stand like lemmings for 45 minutes to an hour for a flight to London or other European City that takes about the same.

Sit in the pub until there are about 10 people left to board then join the queue.

I agree with you, the only people would be those with young families which is understandable, why pay low fares and then pay for priority boarding?.

I always get on back of plane and you get a seat no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't give a **** where i sit when it's cheap., Last year , i got to Manchester and back for 16 euro. How do they manage to do it without the usual taxes?

Jester252 wrote: »
    Also going on first sit in the first seat on the row no family will try to climb over you

Sitting as near to the centre as possible gives the smoothest ride.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Window seats are the worst.

Aisle seats are the best. Especially those overwing ones with the extra leg room.

Window seats and middle seats are the bane of anyone over 6 foot tall. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

If you are in a group then you might want to queue to get seats together. Also there is somewhat limited overhead baggage space unless you don't mind your bag going into the hold. I have laptop etc in my bag which I use inflight so need it close by.

Lack of overhead space is why I generally prefer to fly Ryanair over Aerlingus at least Ryanair are less likely to allow people to bring 2-3 bags onto the plane. While Aerlingus is a bit stricter now they are nowhere as strict as Ryanair yet. Plus Ryanair dont have seats that recline which are a pain in the ass on Aerlingus flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

There is actually many reasons to que:
    1. Seating at the front so you can leave the plane first as in certain airports the queuing to get past passport control is unbelievable!!!! (anytime I go to Frankfurt the difference can be ~45min if you are first or last)
    2. Getting a emergency exit seat (for the taller passengers it can be important)
    3. Sitting together (if thats important to you)
    4. Luggage (can be a pain in the ass if your last and have to put it under your seat as there is no room- taller passengers=no room for legs)
    5. Avoiding sitting beside/near certain people/groups (too many to name but you can get screwed here!)

The pitfalls of priority boarding have been outlined before where you can end up paying for no advance at all.

While in general i am a sit down and watch the "fools" que for the flight, sometimes i am also the fool queuing! Really depends on the particular journey. I have seen people standing for 2+hrs because of delayed departures before.

Im a big fan of ryanair ill just point out, in fact im more likely to que on a aerlingus flight despite assigned seating as everyone travelling on their flights seem to bring 3 times to allowed baggage and im stuck for somewhere to put my bag!!!
    Plus Ryanair dont have seats that recline which are a pain in the ass on Aerlingus flights.
    im pretty sure ryanair do have reclining seats! very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There are loads of reasons why people queue early. Just because you don't get it does not mean they are strange or wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

adamski8 wrote: »
    Nope, they don't. Plus I ain't dolanbaker :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Aisle seats are the best. Especially those overwing ones with the extra leg room.

I always go for the Window seat, I can fall asleep away on my own without needing to be disturbed for several hours. On Ryanair it dosen't matter either way as the flight is rarely longer than 3-4hrs. When you fly longhaul it is a totally different matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I have few rules in life, but one of them is to never set foot in an airport if I'm sober.

I meant to say the overwing seats :o
    I was on a flight with 2 pals (aer lingus). My friend and I booked seats beside each which the other one got a seat at the back of the plane. We get on him window me center (I know right) The other friend takes his seat beside some hot girls and he is smiling like a fool. All of a sudden a mother father and baby come over to us mother sits in the aisle and trying to her baby and hand luggage me and my friend are sitting on the same seat. My other pal with the hot girls as company is bricking his **** laughing at us. All of a sudden a flight attendant as us if we would like to move and we jump at it. I ended up with a row of overwing seats to myself so much leg room :D. I will never look back.
    Got so many dirty looks from people when I lay across then during the flight to get some sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

if flying alone, i'll wait and board last (i met ray houghton doing the exact same thing last time i flew dub-lon :D)

when flying with others i will queue but balls am i getting up until the staff are there and the queue is actually moving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Depends on the flight. When I go to liverpool with ryanair, its first come first served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

adamski8 wrote: »

Feels just like I boarded flight E120 to misinformation land with the amount of waffle being spouted on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Nope, they don't. Plus I ain't dolanbaker :)
    hmmm not even a wee bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Can I ask a question?

A few mentioned extra room by the emergency exit seats

Would the staff shift unsuitable people out of there?
    I mean people would a cast over their broken leg, those on crutches, the old

I'm sure someone in a cast would love the extra room but would the crew say no way and move you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question?

A few mentioned extra room by the emergency exit seats

Would the staff shift unsuitable people out of there?
    I mean people would a cast over their broken leg, those on crutches, the old

I'm sure someone in a cast would love the extra room but would the crew say no way and move you on?

Only able bodied people who can assist (open the door etc.) with the evacuation can sit in the emergency exit row.

A person in a cast could block the emergency exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

So just off my flight and had the pleasure of being 3rd to last on. Ryanair have changed their seating system.

All of the emerergency isles were reserved with sheets of paper and so as they have to be occupied in flight i along with the last to board got empty emergency isles to ourselfs.

Chatting to the cabin crew you Can now book those seats as you check in. So now it's far more benifitial to be last on the plane in terms of choice seats. The nice seats will either be per booked or given to te last on the plane

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

There are loads of reasons why people queue early. Just because you don't get it does not mean they are strange or wrong

Just stupid.

You cannot justify queuing for an hour for an hour long flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

Queuing up isn't worth the hassle and the standing gormlessly among the annoying whingers and screaming kids involved, you'll be sat on board waiting ages for takeoff anyway.
    Last on and last off.

Funny we were discussing this yesterday at home as the missus is thinking of flying with two under 3s. We were thinking of getting priority boarding but then thought fúck it, get on last and let Ryanair worry about finding her a seat beside the children.*

*She's kinda hoping they won't be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Funny we were discussing this yesterday at home as the missus is thinking of flying with two under 3s. We were thinking of getting priority boarding but then thought fúck it, get on last and let Ryanair worry about finding her a seat beside the children.*

I've seen kids as young as 6 sitting away from their parents - it shouldn't be legal from a safety point of view. If there was an emergency evacuation you'd have parents climbing over people to get to their kids. Ryanair make their money by stressing out parents that they might not get a seat with their children.
    I find handing my son a sick bag usually incentivises someone to swap with me though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Chatting to the cabin crew you Can now book those seats as you check in. So now it's far more benifitial to be last on the plane in terms of choice seats. The nice seats will either be per booked or given to te last on the plane
    I was unsure if the emergency exit seating was available to be pre-booked. I presume you can book them on-line at extra cost?

I know this is the case with Aer Lingus.
    Flew to Spain last year with Aer Lingus and I paid the extra few quid to get one of those seat.
    IIRC ~€30 each way. I'm 6'2" and for me it was money well spent.

• Advertisement

• forfuxsake wrote: »

Except it won't be Ryanair's problem. It will be the other passengers, who having arrived early and queued up to get the seats they wanted, will be guilted into moving because she needs to sit with the kids. Just book the damn priority boarding if you need to sit together and stop inconveniencing other people. Sorry if I sound rude, but I'm sick to death of people who do this.

As for queuing up early, there is an excellent reason for doing this. There's never enough overhead baggage space. The last few flights I've been on, the last people on the plane were forced to put their hand baggage into the hold. I view that as a massive inconvenience and would much rather queue, get an aisle seat and have my bag directly above me. If I'm travelling with just a handbag or laptop bag, then I'm happy to put it under the seat in front and not bother with the queue at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

forfuxsake wrote: »

Just get the priority boarding or else queue like most in your situation would do. Don't one of those assholes who inconvenience people by pulling stunts like that. Because what you're talking about really isn't Ryanair's issue, its yours.

Just book the damn priority boarding if you need to sit together and stop inconveniencing other people

or queue early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I love Ryanair, they do exactly as they promise if you are intelligent to deal with them.

Just stupid

Yes indeed

Advertisement