Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENGLISH LITERATURE AND LANGUAGE????

Options
  • 06-05-2012 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Can anyone tell me what this course is like cause the website does'nt give that much 'good' information on it? I really want to do it and I need some more student perspectives before putting it down on the CAO form :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Inimitable wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what this course is like cause the website does'nt give that much 'good' information on it? I really want to do it and I need some more student perspectives before putting it down on the CAO form :confused:
    I presume you're talking about doing English as part of a b.a. or a b.ed course. Just finished 2nd year b.a here taking English as one of my subjects. There is quite a bit of reading (well it is English after all) but don't let that put you off. If its a subject you enjoy well then that's half the battle :). Course covers prose poetry and drama both contemporary and older stuff. Just did 16th century stuff the last semester. It is a tough subject and is marked fairly toughly but like I said if its something u enjoy then go for it. My advice would be go to as many Lectures as you can for the first couple of weeks before you have to make ur mind up and take it from there. Any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

Thanks alot thought I would never get a reply :)

The reasoning behind me wanting to do this course is that I aim to become an English teah I am not sure if thats your aim or not?

I kind of understand from what i've read that it is comparable the paper 2 in leaving cert english. Is this kind of true as Poetry, Drama & Prose are on the paper 2?

Also is there anything covered in this course along the lines of what may come up in paper 1 in the leaving cert? :confused:

Thanks again for replying

Thanks alot thought I would never get a reply :)

The reasoning behind me wanting to do this course is that I aim to become an English teah I am not sure if thats your aim or not?

I kind of understand from what i've read that it is comparable the paper 2 in leaving cert english. Is this kind of true as Poetry, Drama & Prose are on the paper 2?

Also is there anything covered in this course along the lines of what may come up in paper 1 in the leaving cert? :confused:

Thanks again for replying
    Hi again. Is it the b.a course you are going to do? Yes you can teach English but as far as I know you have to do a h.dip after getting your degree. It's been quite a while since I did the leaving, am a mature student,so I don't remember what's in paper 1 and paper 2. Course covers analysis of poetry, prose, drama, featuring methods of analysis, study of literary techniques and plenty of essays to write on the above. Also you will be doing presentations in tutorials but as I've said before if English is something you really enjoy it shouldn't be a problem. There's a good bit of work involved but don't let that put you off. If u enjoy it you're already half way there! :)

Orite and do you have to read the books and all that by yourself or are they read in class or something?

Orite and do you have to read the books and all that by yourself or are they read in class or something?
    Not really. You will be expected to do quite a bit of reading in your own time. But on the upside you will only have 4-5 lectures per week :)

• Advertisement

Orite and what really happens duriing the lectures? is it like being taught English in school or is there a diffrent method of teaching it?

Advertisement