Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Istigh sa Pheann Súgradh - An Tiarna na Fheithidí

Options
  • 06-05-2012 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

....that's "In the Playpen - Insect Overlord" to all you West Brits!*

The tale of Insect Overlord is a very interesting one.....well, it's not so much interesting as it is long. But here's a somewhat condensed and highly unreliable version of events:

Tommy was born some time in the mid-to-late 20th Century. And for many years after not a whole lot happened. But one day the precocious young Limerickonian came upon (lawl) a strange and mysterious interwebs forum called boards dot i e.

Registering as the highly grammatically incorrect An Fhile, he prowled the various forums searching for an online home where he could belong. Noticing the lack of such a community for teenagers and young adults, he relentlessly campaigned for the Clearasil and Hormones forum until that fateful day when the admins finally relented just to shut him up. And so the immense den of internet madness and depravity that is C&H was born. And more so than any other man we have Tommy to thank blame for this magnificent event fiasco occurring.

But merely helping establish the forum was not enough. Oh no. One day, he became the feared brutal Nazi mod of C&H (working alongside some guy called Wrench_igloo or something, who no-one remembers anymore.) Ruling not so much with an iron fist as with a fist made out of some insane fuck-off material that makes iron look like some weak-ass bitch in comparison, he banished all trolls (except those times he indulged in trolling the place himself!) and ravished all complimentary hookers while mere mortals trembled in his wake. He also wrote a few wee poems in the meantime and performed a few nice little ditties on his guitar.

And yet, behind the fearsome facade and blatant abuse of power, there lie many gentler aspects to the personality of this complex fellow.

He is a scholar,
    A gentleman worthy of
    Praise in haiku form.

He is a sportsman, excelling at that/those particular sport(s) that he plays.

He is a Gaeilgeoir agus talkann sé Irish an-good.

And, of course, he's a poet. Now almost about to reach 100 poems on his blog, not only is his wonderful talent evident but also his astonishing workrate. Like a modern day Sylvia Plath, sans oven.

Most importantly he's a nice guy who's a pleasure to talk to and will always do his best to try and help you.

So get your most personal and inappropriate questions at the ready** and prepare to scream HAIL ANTS. It's INSECT OVERLORD

spaceants.png

*any inaccuracies in the Irish language title are solely the fault of Google Translate and not of Captain Graphite
    **in fact, the great insect poet has been subjected to the horrors of the playpen before. Here is the original, for reference.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

How does it feel knowing you can't infract anyone in your own playpen thread anymore?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    How does it feel knowing you can't infract anyone in your own playpen thread anymore?

Emasculating. :(

But really, this place is in good hands now. :)
    Three sterling moderators. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Top quality intro, by the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Dia duit File! :D
    Conas atá chursaí?
    What is your opinion on seanfhocals?
    If you could see any music group perform who would you pick?
    And finally, will you make my day and write me a poem? :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Are you disappointed by the total lack of interest in your playpen thread?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuGp6hzBGRpHJKuhZzzCFMPYV4_-bQ5N-dpHUiZW6piEJ1iPDIhUZO9w

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Hi. :)

Please write the first rhyming couplet that comes into your head so I can judge your entire poetic ability on those two lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If you could infract one person in your playpen thread right, would be D4RK ONION?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Are you a native gaeilge speaker or did you go to a gaelscoil?
    Whats your favourite colour?
    Blondes or brunettes?
    Whats your favourite pokemon?
    Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?
    Twilight:Great or utter tripe?
    What are you wearing?
    Are you accident prone?
    What's your dream job?
    Is being a mod all its cracked up to be?
    Would you rather a nightclub or a quiet night in?
    Bros or hoes?
    What kinda music are you into?
    Best concert?
    Glee:Yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Togepi wrote: »

Please write the first rhyming couplet that comes into your head so I can judge your entire poetic ability on those two lines.

if someone would please change my nappy
    it would make me, a very happy little chappy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Do you own a top hat?
    Favourite words?
    Favourite similes?
    Favourite insult?
    Lion Bar or Yorkie?
    Favourite Nick Cave song(s)? Your favourite album of his?
    Nick Cave with moustache or Nick Cave minus a moustache?
    How are you at pelvis thrusting?
    Ever come across the work of Raymond Carver?
    Funniest boards.ie moment or post?

• Advertisement

M&S* wrote: »
    Dia duit File! :D
    Conas atá chursaí?
    What is your opinion on seanfhocals?
    If you could see any music group perform who would you pick?
    And finally, will you make my day and write me a poem? :D

Dia 's Muire duit! :)
    Tá cúrsaí go han-mhaith ar fad.
    Seanfhocals are clichéd and annoying, but for some reason people are expected to learn loads of them for the Leaving Cert...
    I'd love to see Arcade Fire and Muse again. In hypothetical terms, I wish I could have seen the original Guns'n'Roses line-up at their peak. Or Queen...
    Give me a topic and I'll see what I can do about the poem. :P
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Are you disappointed by the total lack of interest in your playpen thread?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuGp6hzBGRpHJKuhZzzCFMPYV4_-bQ5N-dpHUiZW6piEJ1iPDIhUZO9w

My Playpen thread brings all the boys to the yard,
    And I'm like, "DO, mine's better than yours!" :cool:
    Togepi wrote: »

"To walk at night through swirling rain and mist,
    I'd rather that than home and chances missed."

(I'm totally building a sonnet around that later!)
    Lawliet wrote: »
    If you could infract one person in your playpen thread right, would be D4RK ONION?

Yes. :mad:

:pac:

Are you a native gaeilge speaker or did you go to a gaelscoil?
    Whats your favourite colour?
    Blondes or brunettes?
    Whats your favourite pokemon?
    Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?
    Twilight:Great or utter tripe?
    What are you wearing?
    Are you accident prone?
    What's your dream job?
    Is being a mod all its cracked up to be?
    Would you rather a nightclub or a quiet night in?
    Bros or hoes?
    What kinda music are you into?
    Best concert?
    Glee:Yay or nay?

Neither! :) I was just lucky to have good teachers in primary and secondary school. Running away to Irish college 4 years in a row probably helped too. And then studying the language in college. And then doing an MA in it... :pac:

My favourite colour used to be black, but I don't really have one now. I enjoy visuals too much. To quote Bo Burnham's wonderful song "My Whole Family Thinks I'm Gay", my favourite colour is the rainbow! :P

No real preference but... probably brunettes. :D

I don't like Pokemon. Like, at all. Sorry!

Love both, but prefer LOTR.

I've never read the books/seen the films, so tripe. Yes, definitely tripe.

Blue jeans, brown leather belt, black Levi's t-shirt. Looking great, in fairness. :cool:

Prone to little accidents like slipping or knocking things over, but not to anything that'd injure me. :)

Dream job? I'd love to get paid to write, sing and make works of art. That'd be amazing.

Being a mod is more of a responsibility than a privilege. And different kinds of forums require different styles of modding. But I genuinely loved looking after C&H when I got the chance. It's one of the best forums on Boards, especially when it's busy. Regional forums are more challenging because of defamation/discussion of legal cases/bitchy local rivalries/trolls taking things personally/etc.

Quiet night in! Nightclubs are the devil.
    But I do enjoy the happy medium that is a good pub. I'm really starting to enjoy a few particular places in Limerick that I wouldn't have looked at 5 years ago.

I'd usually say bros, but every so often a girl comes along that makes me wish I could spend a lot of my time with them instead! Simple answer: I don't really follow silly social "rules".

Music? Little bits of everything from rock, country, metal, folk, blues, indie, some 80s pop, lots of musical comedy. Chances are I'll enjoy it if Spin Southwest don't play it.

Best concert? I'll cheat. Oxegen 2007. Epic weekend. Great music from start to finish.

I haven't seen enough of Glee to give an opinion on it.

Do you own a top hat?
    Favourite words?
    Favourite similes?
    Favourite insult?
    Lion Bar or Yorkie?
    Favourite Nick Cave song(s)? Your favourite album of his?
    Nick Cave with moustache or Nick Cave minus a moustache?
    How are you at pelvis thrusting?
    Ever come across the work of Raymond Carver?
    Funniest boards.ie moment or post?

Not yet, but I'm thinking of buying a cheap one from the Magic Shop in Limerick. :)

Iridescent. Opaque. Smile. Lyric. Mysterious. Embrace.

One of my own: "dragonflies like winged rainbows"

Enjoy the next 10 minutes. :) Very NSFW!

Yorkie, every time.

Songs? "Jesus of the Moon". "The Mercy Seat". "Where The Wild Roses Grow".
    Albums? I've only ever listened to "Dig Lazarus! Dig!" in full. Recommend more?

That moustache is magnificent. With it, definitely.

I'm getting better at pelvic thrusting! :D Well, better at making it look like I can dance anyway...

I must admit that the name Raymond Carver does not mean anything to me. Educate me?

Read as far as post #4: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72588847 Had a few nice moments in C&H over the years too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Songs? "Jesus of the Moon". "The Mercy Seat". "Where The Wild Roses Grow".
    Albums? I've only ever listened to "Dig Lazarus! Dig!" in full. Recommend more?

*pokes head in again*

I'd definitely recommend The Boatman's Call. It doesn't have any of the loud rocky moments you'll find on Dig Lazarus! Dig! (which is also a great album) but it does have some of his most beautiful music and most powerful, most profound lyrics. "Into My Arms" is possibly the greatest love song ever written, in my humble opinion. "People Ain't No Good" is an anthem for when you're fed up of the world and everyone in it. And "Black Hair" effortlessly blurs the lines between devotion and downright creepiness, with just a simple accordion background.

And, for extra coolness points, pretty much the entire album is about his relationship with PJ Harvey! :cool:

Now, more questions:

Tom Waits or Tom Collins?
    Nick Cave or Nick Claus?
    Bruce Springsteen or Bruce the shark from Finding Nemo?
    Favourite non-English language film?
    Favourite non-Insect Overlord related Simpsons quote/moment?
    Favourite meme?
    Least favourite meme?
    Y U NO LIKE POKEMON? :mad:

Thanks for the recommendations! :)
    Tom Waits or Tom Collins?
    Nick Cave or Nick Claus?
    Bruce Springsteen or Bruce the shark from Finding Nemo?
    Favourite non-English language film?
    Favourite non-Insect Overlord related Simpsons quote/moment?
    Favourite meme?
    Least favourite meme?
    Y U NO LIKE POKEMON? :mad:

Tom Waits. For now... >_>

Nick Cave.

Brace yourself! This might hurt more than the Pokemon answer! I have never seen Finding Nemo. And I've never made any effort to listen to the Boss either. :o

Pan's Labyrinth. Definitely. Must mention Amélie, Cinema Paradiso and Cré Na Cille as well though.

Apologies for the poor quality of the video!

Also,
    "Duff-Man is thrusting in the direction of the problem!"
    The "****" comment in the U2/sanitation company episode is always funny too.

Favourite: m24855_I-HAVE-THE-WEIRDEST-BONER.jpg

And others: I have the weirdest boner...

Least favourite: Dolan. That stuff just ain't right.

I hated most of the people in my primary school. They all liked Pokemon. Simples!

Well, nobody's asked yet, so what's your favourite poem?

What do you think of Cathair Luimneach?

Have you enjoyed this year's Premier League season, United's impending loss to the only team in Manchester notwithstanding? :P

Do you have any favourite Chris Morris quotes?

You enjoyed Cré Na Cille?
    Are you a Martin o Cadhain fan?
    What was did you study gaeilge,arts or pure linguistics?
    Fake tan yay or nay?
    Any good stand up comedians you recomend?
    Would you rather watch an hour of wrestling or sex in the city?
    Why does it always rain on me?
    Are you a romantic?
    What becomes of the broken hearted?
    Drink of choice?

Well, nobody's asked yet, so what's your favourite poem?

What do you think of Cathair Luimneach?

Have you enjoyed this year's Premier League season, United's impending loss to the only team in Manchester notwithstanding? :P

Do you have any favourite Chris Morris quotes?

Hmmm. Probably "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. It's just magnificent.

I like Limerick a lot. The city has so much potential, but the people with the vision and enthusiasm to improve the place are not the people who have the power to do it. Our local politicians/high level civil servants are woefully inept. But that's true for most of the country...

The Premier League has been excellent this season. :) Swansea and Norwich were great to watch, Spurs and Newcastle were thrilling at times, the dreadful Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves are getting what they deserved and Wigan (despite costing United the title) put a great big smile on my face when they started to actually win games.

Does "All of them!" count as a valid answer? Between "Brass Eye", "The Day Today" and "The IT Crowd", the man has amassed some of the greatest quotes of any comic performer ever. You already know that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Why hasn't this been completed yet.

You enjoyed Cré Na Cille?
    Are you a Martin o Cadhain fan?
    What was did you study gaeilge,arts or pure linguistics?
    Fake tan yay or nay?
    Any good stand up comedians you recomend?
    Would you rather watch an hour of wrestling or sex in the city?
    Why does it always rain on me?
    Are you a romantic?
    What becomes of the broken hearted?
    Drink of choice?

I enjoyed the film. :P The book is a different rusty kettle of bony fish altogether.

I'm not a big fan of Ó Cadhain, but mostly because I didn't approach his work properly when I had to study it. I'd probably find loads to love about him if I gave his stories the attention they (apparently) deserve.

Arts Irish. With Primary Education. Including works by Peig Sayers, Tomás Ó Criomhthain, Muiris Ó Súilleabháin, Máirtín Ó Cadhain, Seosamh Mac Grianna, Micheál Ó Conghaile, Siobhán Ní Shúilleabháin, Eoghan Ó Tuairisc, Máirtín Ó Díreán, Seán Ó Ríordán, Nuala Ní Dhónaill, Máire Mhac an tSaoi, Antoine Ó Flatharta, and many other names that escape me now.

Nay. It's so rare to see it applied well! And pale skin is awesome anyway. <3

I've been watching a lot of Rowan Atkinson's old stuff on YouTube this week. Tim Minchin is a genius. Bill Bailey tends to be good. Dave Allen was another comedy hero.
    My favourite has to be Dylan Moran though. He's just incredibly funny.

I regularly watch wrestling! :D And I'll probably be watching 2 hours of it soon! I don't think I've ever sat through a full episode of Sex In The City, even when one of my exes tried to make me watch it with her.

Probably because you lied when you were 17. Or maybe you should just go outside when it's sunny. :pac:

I like to think I have a romantic side. Poetry, music, food, long conversations, etc.
    I make up for that by not paying attention sometimes, or by playing sports when I could be visiting, or by not spontaneously buying presents, or whatever other mistakes I make.

Some suffer through, learn from it and use memories of the pain to make sure the next time is better. Until it all happens again. :pac:
    Others dwell on it, become fixated and never really let themselves recover.
    There's no one-size-fits-all answer for things like that though.

Tea! Alcoholic drink? Either Bulmers or Guinness on an average night out. Hoegaarden and Duvel are delicious, but alas are not quite as prolifically available.

• Advertisement

Why hasn't this been completed yet.

Woah, that thread! There are actually some really good ideas in there. I was going through a hopelessly barren patch when I started it. The closing posts there show that pretty clearly. :(

But I've written 31 full poems since then (in English, and maybe 6 or 7 in Irish too) and I'll be putting those up for the world to see in the next 6 weeks or so.

And, in fairness, I did write this for ya. ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056260603

Can't believe that was exactly a year ago! :eek:

Cave: As CG said, get The Boatman's Call for a wealth of great love songs; Abattoir Blues/ The Lyre of Orpheus for an abundance of gospel-fused rockers with a nice smattering of pop thrown in; Henry's Dream for its bombastic rockers laced with Cave's really powerful lead vocals and the band's sublime harmonies. Let Love In and Murder Ballads aren't as consistent but still just as worthwhile.

Some Carver poems, including the great Late Fragment. His short stories are similarly minimalistic and strangely evocative.

Favourite Tom Waits song?
    Favourite Father Ted quote?
    Favourite Simpsons character?
    Favourite player from the 98/99 United squad?

Did you have anything to do with these giant bedbugs attacking poor innocent buildings?
    016.jpg

Again, many thanks for the music tips. I'll check those out ASAP. Same with the Raymond Carver stuff.
    Favourite Tom Waits song?
    Favourite Father Ted quote?
    Favourite Simpsons character?
    Favourite player from the 98/99 United squad?

Did you have anything to do with these giant bedbugs attacking poor innocent buildings?
    016.jpg

The first to come to mind was "I'll Shoot The Moon", but then I remembered "Ice Cream Man". Seeing as I can't choose, here are both of them.

"Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas priests... more drink!"

Ralph Wiggum deserves a mention.

Peter Schmeichel. My favourite player of all time. I still love playing in goals after growing up watching him play every week.

What my minions get up to in their spare time is nothing to do with me... >_>

<_<

*twiddles thumbs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Three sterling moderators. :pac:

AH HA! Who is your favourite current C&H mod?

Who is your favourite Anime&Manga, DCU, Japan, Japanese and Languages mod? Hint: They must mod all those forums.

What's the last film you saw in the cinema? Opinions?

If you could work in any country in the world (apart from Ireland), where would it be?

Do you want to get married? Do you want to have children?

What's your greatest sporting achievement to date?

Is there anything you wish you'd done in life when you were still young and able (since you're now old and senile)?

Was there anything you really enjoyed during your time in Mary I?

Do you think you'll ever give primary school teaching another go or is a definite no-go?

If you could buy any one thing at the moment - cost not considered - what would it be?

What's the shortest relationship you've ever been in?

What age were you when you had your first kiss?

Do you think you'll live in Limerick for the rest of your life?

What do you think of red pandas?

How adorable is this?

I was thinking of saving this reply for my 15000th post, but I couldn't guarantee I'd stay awake late enough.
    Konata wrote: »
    AH HA! Who is your favourite current C&H mod?

Who is your favourite Anime&Manga, DCU, Japan, Japanese and Languages mod? Hint: They must mod all those forums.

What's the last film you saw in the cinema? Opinions?

If you could work in any country in the world (apart from Ireland), where would it be?

Do you want to get married? Do you want to have children?

What's your greatest sporting achievement to date?

Is there anything you wish you'd done in life when you were still young and able (since you're now old and senile)?

Was there anything you really enjoyed during your time in Mary I?

Do you think you'll ever give primary school teaching another go or is a definite no-go?

If you could buy any one thing at the moment - cost not considered - what would it be?

What's the shortest relationship you've ever been in?

What age were you when you had your first kiss?

Do you think you'll live in Limerick for the rest of your life?

What do you think of red pandas?

How adorable is this?

I like and respect all the C&H mods equally... >_>

There used to be a really cool mod called Hotaru, but I dunno what happened to her. :pac:

My last cinema film was the final Harry Potter instalment. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even if I did have to watch it with Aoibheann. :P

I'd like to live around Europe for a while. Spain, France, Italy. Mad notions of living the life of an artist.
    Realistically, Canada would be interesting.

I would like to have kids some day, but I'm getting to be very cynical of marriage. It seems to have more tax advantages than anything else... I suppose if I ever find someone I want to spend the rest of my life with I might change my mind.

I played in goals for my GAA club when we won the Limerick County Junior A Championship a few years ago. I think I was 17 for most of the season. Made the best save of my life in injury time in the final as we held on to win by a point. (front row, see if you can spot me!)

71903_452055550821_146822480821_5213304_7345801_n.jpg

I was also part of the Wembley Rovers squad that won the FAI Under 17 National Cup in 2006, but I was injured for the second half of the season.
    (back row in this one)
    30005_128570503829032_100000282501168_277718_5549816_n.jpg

I think I should have spent a summer travelling while I was still in college. Apart from that I've done pretty well so far. :)

I made some great friends in Mary I. I still see some of them a few times a year. I just wish I'd got to know them in 1st Year instead of later on!

Funny you should ask that! I'm sorting out my Teaching Council registration this week. :) So I'll probably end up teaching for a while anyway.

I want a car. That would be great.

My shortest relationship lasted about 2 days. :pac: I think I was 15.

First kiss aged 13.

Nope, I won't be in Limerick forever! I'll travel around Ireland anyway, and hopefully further afield too.

Red pandas are sooooo kawaii! ^.^ (is that the answer you were hoping for? LOL )

And that video is very cute too. :D

I figured I'd ask something profound so you can commemorate your 15,000th post milestone with an answer I'm sure everyone is just dying to know.

Do you smell your own farts?

Why do I feel so stuffed up,I even wore my winter coat last night?
    What do you think of drag queens?
    Would you like to get married?
    Are you a camera nerd?
    Anything on your bucket list?
    Piglets or guinea pigs?
    Would you hold a koala?
    Any big fears?

15k.jpg

:P
    Why do I feel so stuffed up,I even wore my winter coat last night?
    What do you think of drag queens?
    Would you like to get married?
    Are you a camera nerd?
    Anything on your bucket list?
    Piglets or guinea pigs?
    Would you hold a koala?
    Any big fears?

Probably because we had our summer back in March! They're seasons, Jim, but not as we know it.

Not my kinda thing, really. Too garish. Transvestism can be done tastefully, it doesn't have to be so over the top!

Re: marriage - see my answers to Konata's questions.

I am not a camera nerd, but I do enjoy strolling around with a cheap digital camera every now and then. :)

I don't have a bucket list. I should really start one. I don't focus enough on the things I'd like to do in the future.

Guinea pigs. Tough choice!

*runs to Wikipedia*
    *learns simple Koala info*

If the animal was happy about it, yes. Otherwise, no. I wouldn't want to stress out a creature that didn't want to be held.

I hate heights. :eek:

• Advertisement

I figured I'd ask something profound so you can commemorate your 15,000th post milestone with an answer I'm sure everyone is just dying to know.

Do you smell your own farts?

Not deliberately. -___-

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement