Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monthly pay strikes fear.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Who signed the contract on behalf of the employer?

What contract are we talking about now civil servant or public servant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

hondasam wrote: »
    What contract are we talking about now civil servant or public servant?

The contract you claim to have.

The contract you claim to have.

You never answered the question, do public servants have contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Of course I do, just sick of them though.

Their unions
    Their massive salaries
    Their 4 hour week

but mostly their unions constatnly moaning about anything & everything while the private sector sit quietly in the corner and pay their taxes which probably pay 75% of the public sectors wages, then Ireland borrows to pay the rest of the public sector wages

We can't afford to borrow ffs, cut half of them ( the older one's on big salaries )
    and reduce their pay to minimum wage, if they moan or send in the union's, fire them and hire the dole scrongers who can do it for less, if they dis-agree cut their dole.

Oh How I would dictate, I'd probably turn Ireland into the most profitable country in the world if I were in power.

Id love a 4 hour week job. Tell me more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Yep

• Advertisement

Some do, some don't.

Every single job I've worked in has had a monthly pay cycle. I don't see the problem.

Some do, some don't.

In other words you don't know the answer. Stop talking about something you don't know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I have no sympathy for them. Life is tough adapt. I remember starting off on monthly pay of just over EUR1K pm during the height of the boom and I could manage and pay rent and bills.

I do payroll as part of my work once a month and the same work goes into one payrun so I can see the benefit for the government.

Less cost of stationery, staff costs for processing & reconciling. If you cannot manage your money there's a place called MABS that will help you out budgeting wise.

The public sector need to live in the real world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My mortage is forthnightly and my childminding fees are forthnightly, this would be a melter it it comes in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

kceire wrote: »
    My mortage is forthnightly and my childminding fees are forthnightly, this would be a melter it it comes in!!

Not sure about the childminding but the bank would change the payment cycle if you informed them of the change in your pay cycle.

Odats wrote: »
    Not sure about the childminding but the bank would change the payment cycle if you informed them of the change in your pay cycle.

agh i know that, i was paid monthly for 10 years, i quite like the forthnightly pay cycle now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They do not have contracts of employment.
    Why would the High Court have said they do not have contracts of employment if they did?

You seem pretty definite they do not have contracts.

The citation is in my post. If you have access to a legal database you can find the case.
    Some civil servants posting here seem to think they are employees which of course they are not. Office holders do not have rights under a contract.

So it isn't freely available then? So we can only go on your quotes from it.

Some do, some don't.

Classic over-egging your case, thought so, hence the questions.

You meant [some[/b] do not have contracts.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

In other words you don't know the answer. Stop talking about something you don't know about.

How are you construing that statement as meaning I don't know what I am talking about? The only explanation is that you don't know what you are talking about and are trying to cover up that fact.
    In the public service soldiers and equivalent in the defence forces have contracts, officers in the defence forces do not and civil servants in the Dept. of defence do not. Did you expect me to list every category of public servant and state whether or not they have a contract? Only someone with a large amount of spare time such as a public servant could do that.

K-9 wrote: »
    You seem pretty definite they do not have contracts.
    I am definite. It is a certainty.
    So it isn't freely available then? So we can only go on your quotes from it.

Is is freely available. The only websites it is on are paysites, which is not my fault.
    There is nothing to stop you going to any library which has a collection of the Irish Reports and reading it. Might be too much effort and require too much initiative for a public servant though.
    Classic over-egging your case, thought so, hence the questions.

Nothing over egged. I can stand over what i am saying. Others notably public servants can't.
    You meant [some[/b] do not have contracts.

Some do, some don't. That is what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Most mortgages are paid monthly as are most utility bills, credit card bills etc.

Most jobs are also paid monthly - what would you ever do if you had to change career once in your life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

agh i know that, i was paid monthly for 10 years, i quite like the forthnightly pay cycle now tbh.
    I switched to a fortnightly mortgage and I'm paid monthly. It makes no difference in reality, just move a couple of figures around in your budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Mouldy Mary

You should go and talk to the Welfare Officer in your department. We had a very good one in my department. She would spend an hour or two with anybody who needed help with their finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You should go and talk to the Welfare Officer in your department. We had a very good one in my department. She would spend an hour or two with anybody who needed help with their finances.
    Public service departments have welfare officers? I thought they were only in colleges to hand hold clueless broke students with money and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Makes sense to pay monthly, I imagine it lowers administration to pay once a month so less staff are needed to manage it.

• Advertisement

I am definite. It is a certainty.

Perhaps be a little clearer in future because I and others picked you up as saying they all did and only when challenged did you clear it up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Everyone knows all about the PS except the people that work there.

Majority of workers get a pay rise every year or did maybe not as much now.

do you think sam???

at the height of the boom my company made us ALL redundant , lost ALL benefits , and took us " back on " as contractors.

no pension , no car , no fuel , no phone , no holidays , no sick pay
    ALL of the above we now have to fund from LESS wages as a contractor.

we had no union to help us ( no point in private industry ) so the company could do what they wanted,

this was 7 years ago , EVERY year since then they have taken from our call price not added - so in 7 years they have taken 30% from the wage plus all the benefits.

I was hanging around for the first year or 2 to see could i get extra training , no chance , then the credit crunch hit - so no jobs anywhere else,

so stuck where i am , with vultures who regularly tell us " if we don't like it we know what we can do "

so sam no pay rise for the majority - just pay cuts

do CS folk think they still have it bad ? wanna swap your guaranteed 400 with pension , holidays , health , sick pay and pay increments with job security ?
    didn't think so - this is why private sector workers make this point so often
    i truly believe CS workers dont grasp how lucky they really are
    wages might be ****e - but still lads you're on the pigs back
    learn to be more humble

seamus wrote: »
    I switched to a fortnightly mortgage and I'm paid monthly. It makes no difference in reality, just move a couple of figures around in your budget.

Who are you with the EBS wouldn't let me do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Odats wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for them. Life is tough adapt. I remember starting off on monthly pay of just over EUR1K pm during the height of the boom and I could manage and pay rent and bills.

I do payroll as part of my work once a month and the same work goes into one payrun so I can see the benefit for the government.

Less cost of stationery, staff costs for processing & reconciling. If you cannot manage your money there's a place called MABS that will help you out budgeting wise.

The public sector need to live in the real world.

+1. Not only that, but I have looked back at many of the 100+ posts on this thread and I see most of the public servants seem to post between 9.30 and 12.45, and in the afternoon between 2.10 and 4.45pm. I wonder why?

true wrote: »
    +1. Not only that, but I have looked back at many of the 100+ posts on this thread and I see most of the public servants seem to post between 9.30 and 12.45, and in the afternoon between 2.10 and 4.45pm. I wonder why?

Most people seem to be posting during the day except me. I'm a public servant and work during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

woodoo wrote: »
    Most people seem to be posting during the day except me. I'm a public servant and work during the day.

Night time security guard outside the Dail or Berties House?

Perhaps be a little clearer in future because I and others picked you up as saying they all did and only when challenged did you clear it up.

I never said anything like they all did. A misguided poster said that. Perhaps read my posts more carefully in future and inform yourself properly before making challenges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Being paid monthly is a b*tch though. I just started a new job and was told it'd be 5 weeks before I'd see my first paycheck. Fine for me, but there was a few lads coming straight off the dole who'll be living on beans and toast for a while.

And if you've moved for the job, it's especially tough in the first month, as you have all those fiddly moving costs too.

But once it settles down, monthly pay is grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

The reality is that forward planning is so neglected in the Civil Service that to think in terms of a month is alien to them.

• Advertisement

I never said anything like they all did. A misguided poster said that. Perhaps read my posts more carefully in future and inform yourself properly before making challenges.

Unless you had that posters contract at hand you had no way of knowing if he/she had one or not, yet you stated they hadn't. You got called out for making a claim, it happens.

Unless you had that posters contract at hand you had no way of knowing if he/she had one or not, yet you stated they hadn't.

I never said the poster had no contract. I said that civil servants don't have contracts. The poster himself said he had a contract. i asked him who signed it on behalf of the employer. He didn't answer but asked inane questions.
    You got called out for making a claim, it happens.

Every claim I made i have been able to stand over which is more than you or other posters have been able to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have always been paid weekly. If this was changed to monthly, the first month would inevitably consist of:

-Week 1: "I'M RICH!!!!" *spend spend spend spend*
    -Weeks 2-4: :(

After that, I'm sure I'd get the hang of things. :o

I never said the poster had no contract. I said that civil servants don't have contracts. The poster himself said he had a contract. i asked him who signed it on behalf of the employer. He didn't answer but asked inane questions.

Every claim I made i have been able to stand over which is more than you or other posters have been able to do.

You claimed civil servants don't have contracts.

You later back tracked. Get over it, it's fine.

You claimed civil servants don't have contracts.

You later back tracked. Get over it, it's fine.

Civil servants don't have contracts. I never back tracked on that.
    Do you know the difference between a civil servant and a public servant?
    All civil servants are public servants. Not all public servants are civil servants. Some non civil service public servants have contracts. That is what I have said all along.
    Tell me where I said otherwise.

dvpower wrote: »
    Most mortgages are paid monthly as are most utility bills, credit card bills etc.

My NTL is bi monthly, as is my ESB and Bord Gais, just because Your bills are monthly, doesnt mean everybody in the country follows your logic.
    dvpower wrote: »
    Most jobs are also paid monthly - what would you ever do if you had to change career once in your life?

Some jobs are paid monthly, my mams wages in dunnes is paid weekly, my brothers job for a large MNC is paid bi-weekly too. my dad pays his staff weekely and brother pays his staff weekly. my mate in Molloys Liquor Store is paid weekly etc etc etc, again, just because Your wages are monthly, doesnt mean everybody in the country follows your logic.
    seamus wrote: »

Agh, i rarther, bi weekly now, i'll stick with that for as along as i can.

Why would i do that? Im quite intelligent with my finances currently.

• Advertisement

Civil servants don't have contracts. I never back tracked on that.

I beg to differ.
    Do you know the difference between a civil servant and a public servant?
    All civil servants are public servants. Not all public servants are civil servants. Some non civil service public servants have contracts. That is what I have said all along.
    Tell me where I said otherwise.

Yep I do, as a mod of politics it would be fair to say I'd have some idea.

PS. We still only have your word on it, as the link is behind a paywall, we don't even know the site!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Posy wrote: »
    I have always been paid weekly. If this was changed to monthly, the first month would inevitably consist of:

-Week 1: "I'M RICH!!!!" *spend spend spend spend*
    -Weeks 2-4: :(

After that, I'm sure I'd get the hang of things. :o

You get paid in advance? I'm sure most others don't so on the switchover it will be more like Week 1: How am I going to make last weeks wages last a month? Borrow Week 2: Borrow Week 3: Borrow Week 4: Pay off all you borrowed and wonder how you will make the little that is left last a month

I beg to differ.
    Show me where I back tracked? I have asked you to do this previously and you have not been able to do so.

Yep I do, as a mod of politics it would be fair to say I'd have some idea.

Have some idea? Your posts on this thread do not demonstrate that you have any idea. The fact of being a mod does not give anyone knowledge of itself.
    PS. We still only have your word on it, as the link is behind a paywall, we don't even know the site!

I have given you the citation. You know how you can verify it using the hard copy in any library which has a set of Irish Reports, of which there are many. You can check on www.courts.ie that there was such a case.
    I got the report from www.justis.com but it may be available on other online resources. It is something that can easily be checked out.

You have made a number of allegations against me and you have not substantiated any of them and you are now clutching at the straw of saying my source is unverifiable.

Are you saying there was no such case?
    Are you saying I am making it up?

Rango555 wrote: »
    You get paid in advance? I'm sure most others don't so on the switchover it will be more like Week 1: How am I going to make last weeks wages last a month? Borrow Week 2: Borrow Week 3: Borrow Week 4: Pay off all you borrowed and wonder how you will make the little that is left last a month

That is not what is proposed. The proposed changeover regime is posted earlier in this thread. The will be a move from weekly to fortnightly and six months later a move from fortnightly to monthly. 11 days pay will be paid on 30th August amnd 14 days pay on 13th September in the move to fortnightly. On the move to monthly there will be an advance paid which will be recouped over the year ahead.

Show me where I back tracked? I have asked you to do this previously and you have not been able to do so.

You never stated it was civil servants only, then some public servants, not others. People can't read your mind, hence the confusion you caused!

Have some idea? Your posts on this thread do not demonstrate that you have any idea. The fact of being a mod does not give anyone knowledge of itself.

:D Why would I demonstrate knowledge of the difference between civil and public servants on this thread? It was never an issue, only in your head.

I have given you the citation. You know how you can verify it using the hard copy in any library which has a set of Irish Reports, of which there are many. You can check on www.courts.ie that there was such a case.
    I got the report from www.justis.com but it may be available on other online resources. It is something that can easily be checked out.

You have made a number of allegations against me and you have not substantiated any of them and you are now clutching at the straw of saying my source is unverifiable.

Are you saying there was no such case?
    Are you saying I am making it up?

Yeah, I'll run down to the library on Monday! Or you could quote more than a couple of lines seeing as you have access to it. a reasonable, helpful poster would rather than get indignant when queried.

• Advertisement

You never stated it was civil servants only, then some public servants, not others. People can't read your mind, hence the confusion you caused!

If confusion was caused it was because people can't read or do not know the difference between Civil & Public servants! You have not been able to show that I have ever contradicted myself.

:D Why would I demonstrate knowledge of the difference between civil and public servants on this thread? It was never an issue, only in your head.
    I didn't ask you to demonstrate your knowledge, or lack of it, of the difference between civil and public servants on this thread. There are only two reasons why you were making the comments you were, which comments were false and untrue. Either you are trolling or you don't know the difference.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll run down to the library on Monday! Or you could quote more than a couple of lines seeing as you have access to it. a reasonable, helpful poster would rather than get indignant when queried.

I did not get indignant when queried. I get indignat when people ascribe comments to me that I have not made. I can't help that it is not available for free online. I gave the citation. Report series, year, volume and page number. Any reader of this thread can check it out. If there was never such a case it would emerge very quickly. You can check the High Court Search function in www.courts.ie to see some of the details of the case.
    Rather than sneer, you could have asked to see more of the report which is several pages long, mostly concerned with a promotion competition in the Revenue Commissioners. With some modicum of effort you could obtain a copy yourself.

If confusion was caused it was because people can't read or do not know the difference between Civil & Public servants! You have not been able to show that I have ever contradicted myself.

It was not clear, hence the confusion, a few posters had the same problem so maybe rather than it being their reading skills it's your posting skills?

I didn't ask you to demonstrate your knowledge, or lack of it, of the difference between civil and public servants on this thread. There are only two reasons why you were making the comments you were, which comments were false and untrue. Either you are trolling or you don't know the difference.

I did not get indignant when queried. I get indignat when people ascribe comments to me that I have not made. I can't help that it is not available for free online. I gave the citation. Report series, year, volume and page number. Any reader of this thread can check it out. If there was never such a case it would emerge very quickly. You can check the High Court Search function in www.courts.ie to see some of the details of the case.

I did search there and Google.
    Rather than sneer, you could have asked to see more of the report which is several pages long, mostly concerned with a promotion competition in the Revenue Commissioners. With some modicum of effort you could obtain a copy yourself.

I asked you for links, you told me to sign up to a paywall or go to the library! very uncooperative. Failing that normally a poster would provide some more quotes. Not unreasonable expectations online tbh.

It was not clear, hence the confusion, a few posters had the same problem so maybe rather than it being their reading skills it's your posting skills?
    Despite being asked to do so several times, you have not shown that anything I said was contradictory or unclear. If a few posters had the same problem, it simply shows how widespread ignorance of basic knowledge is among civil and public servants.
    I said civil servants don't have contracts. true and I never contradicted that.
    I was asked if public servants have contracts. That is a different thing and outside the scope of the thread, which is about civil mservice pay. To help the poster I said that some do and some don't. True and i have never contradicted that.
    I was then attacked and accused of not knowing what i was talking about and being inconsistent. Quite untrue and only explicable if people were reading public servant as civil servant. The people who attacked me all claimed some knowledge and did not ask for clarification if they were confused. It is now obvious they did not want their own lack of basic knowledge exposed.

I did search there and Google.

Well then what is your problem? Not all information is available on line for free. I can't help that.

I asked you for links, you told me to sign up to a paywall or go to the library! very uncooperative. Failing that normally a poster would provide some more quotes. Not unreasonable expectations online tbh.

I did not tell you to go to a library. I explained why I could not post links and what the alternative source of the information was. You did not ask for more information and your tone was derisory. A poster who wants more quotes would at least be accurate and mannerly. Not unreasonable expectations online tbh.

The people who attacked me all claimed some knowledge and did not ask for clarification if they were confused. It is now obvious they did not want their own lack of basic knowledge exposed.

Whatever, lack of basic knowledge? If that's the way you look at things, fine.

I did not tell you to go to a library. I explained why I could not post links and what the alternative source of the information was. You did not ask for more information and your tone was derisory. A poster who wants more quotes would at least be accurate and mannerly. Not unreasonable expectations online tbh.

Why don't you just put the information up then?

Whatever, lack of basic knowledge? If that's the way you look at things, fine.

It it was fine why were you saying I was back tracking?

Why don't you just put the information up then?

I have put up all relevant information. Nobody has said they want more. If people want to verify it or are interested in finding out more it is up to themselves. You have shown very little initiative in sourcing the information yourself.

Advertisement