Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Systems admin/Networking careers

Options
  • 06-05-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure where else to put this but hopefully a few of you could help me out.

I work full time in a completely non-tech related field that I am not entirely happy in and in the next year or so I am considering going back to education and learning about and working in a sys admin/networking role.

First of all, is this possible without going to college full time for a degree? A route that I have seen into this is CompTIA A+ / CompTIA Network+ then the MCITP - Server Admin cert. Would this be a good way? A benefit for me would be that I can do those courses part time.

Would I be able to get a job in this area with the above certs under my belt? I.e. Is there something else I should ideally have (apart from a Bsc/BA), or would the CompTIA Network+ and/or the MCITP be (generally speaking) sufficient?

Really, are there jobs out there for network admins? Is there a demand? From what I can see at least, most of the in demand IT skills at the moment are software based, I haven't seen a lot of job adds for network/sys admins, but that's only from a few searches on the job sites.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Sorry mods please delete this thread it is in the wrong forum.

Advertisement