Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Arrears

Options
  • 06-05-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All

I got onto the Financial Ombudsman but was told it was a consumer rights issue. I am in arrears with my mortgage and have had a payback arrangement with them, last week the guy from the collections department said to me,

1. why don't you rent our a room in your house (we are in our 50's and would feel really uncomfortable with a stranger in our house)

2. then he said tell your husband to go to FAS to sign up on a course (I gave him lots of answers to this including, our FAS office told him straight up that there will be as we all know, no jobs after the courses, especaily at his age),

3. next he said sell your house!!!!!! NO BODY IS BUYING HOUSES FOO!!!!!.

I myself think all these suggestions are totally inappropriate what do you guys think????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

WELL, i would go along with these suggestions.....anything to keep a roof over your head......but get more advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ould wan

All of the suggestions were made from a total stranger who do not know our personalities or the condition of our home as regards renting a room to complete strangers etc, he was very condescending and was like a dog with a bone, I just think that it was not his place to impose his ideas on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Make a complaint about him in writing to his bosses and state that you will not deal with him in future.

For a bank official (and possibly a pimply faced little pr%$k) to dare say such things to probably long serving customer is totally not right and a letter to both the bank manager and the relevant complaints dept within the institution will clip this pr%$ks ears a little and hopefully ensure no upward movement for him in the bank.

The recession will not last forever - as you are close enough to my age bracket, you'll have survived the seventies and eighties and have come out of them smiling. This one is just a little longer.

So ignore that little pr%$k and contiue with the agreement you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I couldn't disagree more with Sandin and I think the name he called the guy in the collection dept. is cheap and unfounded as he does not know who you dealt with.

The suggestions were actually fair and were after all just some suggestions. He's there to collect money you owe and fair play to him for suggesting anything at all that may make things easier for you.
    As someone also in my 50's I know how hard times were in the past and know that some thinking outside the box can often work wonders.

Those suggestions may not be relevant to you but take them for what they were - just suggestions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are just that...suggestions,
    I don't see the big deal here, they are only suggestions and you can choose to apply them to yourself or not, he didn't say YOU HAVE TO DO THESE THINGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What's your query. Are you looking for other advice on your situation or do you just want to know what we think of the guy from the financial ombudsman? Honest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ok these seem like just suggestions. Each point has merit.

1. This is an option many are considering at moment to boost income. He put it forward and if that doesnt suit your lifestyle thats fine but why shouldnt he put it forward.

2. The option to get further training to assist in getting a job is a win win option. If it worked then you could pay more and not be in arrears and the bank get the mortgage back on track. If a job doesnt come of it It may help at least keep occupied.

3. Are you in positive equity. Given your age I would imagine this is a possibility. If this is the case then this again is a valid option for both parties for you to sell the property and the bank get the money bank.

Overreacting going to the Ombudsman. They are not there to deal with every complaint. They are there to intervene when a complaint has been put through the bank formally and the complainant is not happy still with the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

The advice from the regulator to the banks is to "know your customer"

Have they asked you about your circumstances?

Are you engaging with MABS?

Have you completed a statement of financial standing (SFS)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

What is your intention? Is it to pay your mortgage? If so then his suggestions probably have merit. His employer wants you to do that. If you don't it will mean more work for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I think you are the type of customer I hate dealing with, the person was trying to make suggestions to you and you ran to the Ombudsman(who thankfully told you where to go).

My guess is you are annoyed at your situation and just want to take it out on someone.I think you should drop this petty grievence you have and give the person a break, they did nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

His suggestions were nothing out of the ordinary, part of any banks training of their arrears staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

What is wrong with anything he said? What did you expect, oh forget it pay it when you can?

They seem like perfectly logical suggestions to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Another one here who does not think the suggestions are inappropriate. Perhaps taking a couple of foreign students in might be better than the rent a room. I did this and really enjoyed it. And I'm an oul wan too!

Regarding the retraining, I would be highly insulted if someone wrote me off due to my age. I am fully capable of retraining if I needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I can't see anything wrong with what he said. When you take out a mortgage It is stated in bold print, that your home is at risk if you don't make payments.

The option for them is to reposses your home. He is suggestion steps you could take to prevent this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

ted1 wrote: »
    I can't see anything wrong with what he said. When you take out a mortgage It is stated in bold print, that your home is at risk if you don't make payments.

The option for them is to reposses your home. He is suggestion steps you could take to prevent this.

I'm not referring to the OP here, but I think that some people are so confident that the banks won't repossess their houses due to bad press that they are taking the mick about making any repayments at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

ould wan wrote: »
    Hi All

I got onto the Financial Ombudsman but was told it was a consumer rights issue. I am in arrears with my mortgage and have had a payback arrangement with them, last week the guy from the collections department said to me,

1. why don't you rent our a room in your house (we are in our 50's and would feel really uncomfortable with a stranger in our house)

2. then he said tell your husband to go to FAS to sign up on a course (I gave him lots of answers to this including, our FAS office told him straight up that there will be as we all know, no jobs after the courses, especaily at his age),

3. next he said sell your house!!!!!! NO BODY IS BUYING HOUSES FOO!!!!!.

I myself think all these suggestions are totally inappropriate what do you guys think????

1. Rent to a relative. Put the feelers out and try get a friend of a friend. Also how is your age relevant? Needs must and all that.....

2. Your husband should consider retraining - it would make him more employable

3. Have you had an estate agent in to value your house and to discuss the market in your area?

I think you received good advice from the collections dept. guy.

I would add the following advice.

1. Start selling anything of value....
    2. Downsize your lifestyle to make as much savings as possible
    3. Look at ways of making money. Could you mind children?
    4. Rent out your house and move in with family or friends or rent a cheaper place
    5. Your husband should look for work far and wide, London is very commutable
    6. Sell your car and use public transport or even better walk or cycle

I'm sure you could get plenty more tips from these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I couldn't disagree more with Sandin and I think the name he called the guy in the collection dept. is cheap and unfounded as he does not know who you dealt with.

The suggestions were actually fair and were after all just some suggestions. He's there to collect money you owe and fair play to him for suggesting anything at all that may make things easier for you.
    As someone also in my 50's I know how hard times were in the past and know that some thinking outside the box can often work wonders.

Those suggestions may not be relevant to you but take them for what they were - just suggestions.

The OP has an agreement in place and whilst that agreement is in place and being adhered to they should not be harrassed by soem junior official who gets off on bullying prople.

Totally different if the OP was not paying or kept avoiding things, but if an agreement has been made it should be accepted on both sides until it comes up for renewal.

ould wan wrote: »

2. then he said tell your husband to go to FAS to sign up on a course (I gave him lots of answers to this including, our FAS office told him straight up that there will be as we all know, no jobs after the courses, especaily at his age)...............

This is a disgraceful attitude if your husband is in receipt of social welfare, would he prefer to sit around all day while in mortgage arrears or would he prefer to actively try and get a job through training and upskilling? There are actually some jobs out there you know, those who get them make an effort to do so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

sandin wrote: »
    The OP has an agreement in place and whilst that agreement is in place and being adhered to they should not be harrassed by soem junior official who gets off on bullying prople.

Totally different if the OP was not paying or kept avoiding things, but if an agreement has been made it should be accepted on both sides until it comes up for renewal.

Harassed and bullying is harsh. I agree no one deserves to be harassed but doesn't sound like that happened here. Also the status of the official involved is not known and obviously a presumption by you to make your argument your own.

We know little about the dynamic between the OP and the bank. The bank are entitled to review agreement and perhaps it was such a time or they were seeking an update on the OP's circumstance which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sandin wrote: »

I think you need to look at the definition of harassment and bullying, as there's no evidence of either in the piece by the OP.

Advertisement