Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay Run 2012

Options
  • 06-05-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

So this was on today. My fourth (and slowest!) time doing it and i was wondering if anyone else on here did it too and what they thought of it?
    I missed it last year, so can't compare to that, but I did think there was better organisation overall (right size tee shirt, not a riot in the bag collection tent), though the midday start meant the unexpected sun had a somewhat detrimental effect.
    Anyone else care to comment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

This was my first year doing the Bay run. thought the organisation was good- well organised with buses, bag collection etc. Think the t-shirt is flimsy enough to be honest. I did it to see what all the fuss about the Bay Run is and, while i enjoyed it and it went fine for me, and it's in a beautiful area, I wasn't overly impressed and think it is very over-priced. The other half marathons in Cork are just as well organised and, although are not as scenic, offer far better value for money. No real complaints about yesterday, it just didn't do much for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 el kabong

This year was my third time doing this event. It seemed pretty similar to other years, apart from the later start, which didn't bother me one way or the other. The t-shirt seems decent, the material appears to be the same Under Armour stuff that was in last year's Cork City Marathon one.

One big screw-up this year was the timing. The finish line clock was showing almost a minute faster than the actual time. The official results, which have supposedly corrected for this, show a 9-sec discrepancy with what I recorded on my watch, and that experience is echoed by at least one other comment on the race Facebook page. This isn't something I'm too concerned by, since I was well outside a PB anyway, but for an expensive commercial race it's a poor show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

el kabong wrote: »
    This year was my third time doing this event. It seemed pretty similar to other years, apart from the later start, which didn't bother me one way or the other. The t-shirt seems decent, the material appears to be the same Under Armour stuff that was in last year's Cork City Marathon one.

One big screw-up this year was the timing. The finish line clock was showing almost a minute faster than the actual time. The official results, which have supposedly corrected for this, show a 9-sec discrepancy with what I recorded on my watch, and that experience is echoed by at least one other comment on the race Facebook page. This isn't something I'm too concerned by, since I was well outside a PB anyway, but for an expensive commercial race it's a poor show.

I don't think there is a chip start so that may be the reason for that unless things have changed ? Who runs a race for the view ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Backmarker

I was talking to one of the "prizewinners" yesterday. Apparently there was no presentation of prizes, as the race organizer, who lives locally, "Forgot to bring them". There's no indication of when prizes might be handed over.

"local charities/organisations" none too pleased either that the ("Each year Bay Run donates) EUR 1000 to each group that helps with the water stations and finish line." has been reduced to €500.

Based on the number of finishers, entry fees came to over €57,000. No prizes and donations to the local organisations cut by 50%. There's a lot of local disquiet here in Bantry. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

First time doing this course. Thought it was very hilly with very little letup throughout. That drag from miles 10 to 12 was torturous after the initial steep climb up out of glengarrif. Was hotter than expected on the day which didn't make things any easier.

I was happy with my time, a new PB but again the timing raises lots of questions. My time was 1minute more than clock on finish line. This time also meant the pacemaker got his timing wrong aswell which I find very puzzling as he stated close to finish we were inside 1:45 time.

Anyway I thought the race was good value for money. nice tshirt and very cool medal. Plenty of water stations etc on the course. Massage after was also much appreciated. I'll be back!

• Advertisement

Backmarker wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the "prizewinners" yesterday. Apparently there was no presentation of prizes, as the race organizer, who lives locally, "Forgot to bring them". There's no indication of when prizes might be handed over.

"local charities/organisations" none too pleased either that the ("Each year Bay Run donates) EUR 1000 to each group that helps with the water stations and finish line." has been reduced to €500.

Based on the number of finishers, entry fees came to over €57,000. No prizes and donations to the local organisations cut by 50%. There's a lot of local disquiet here in Bantry. :mad:

but their site still says 1k "donation" http://www.bayrun.ie/index.cfm/page/sponsors you meaning to tell me that they are telling porkies ? definition of donate: to make a gift, grant, or contribution of something; give; contribute. definition of payment: something that is paid; an amount paid; compensation; recompense. I get donated my wages every week. I donate my time in return :) on a totally unrelated matter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78366370&postcount=15 however on a related matter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055872027 @physiopad: interesting first post ;)

rom wrote: »
    @physiopad: interesting first post ;)

I know how that looks. Genuinely new to running/tri so need to start somewhere. I will be writing an equally unbiased report of Bandon half marathon on saturday :D

physiopad wrote: »
    I know how that looks. Genuinely new to running/tri so need to start somewhere. I will be writing an equally unbiased report of Bandon half marathon on saturday :D

How can you get a good time doing 1/2's with a week apart ?

How can you get a good time doing 1/2's with a week apart ?

Won't be worrying about time too much on saturday, just trying a few races under my belt. get used to running the distance, looking to do a full marathon before year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 el kabong

I don't think there is a chip start so that may be the reason for that unless things have changed ? Who runs a race for the view ? :)
    Yes, things changed this year, there was a timing mat at the start for the first time, in the past it was only at the finish. The results have distinct race times and chip times.

• Advertisement

el kabong wrote: »
    Yes, things changed this year, there was a timing mat at the start for the first time, in the past it was only at the finish. The results have distinct race times and chip times.

Well about time for the money it costs as its a very quiet road there.

Advertisement