Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History time management! Help?!

• 06-05-2012 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

How do I write 3 essays (and a document question) in 3 hours? I honestly don't know if it's possible... I got a B3 in History in the mocks by the skin of my teeth, even though I left out a whole essay :( Anyone got any tips, like how to write fast, how to memorize stuff, how to manage the time? Stuff like that, I'm honestly shítting it for History, doesn't help that I need like 530 points either... Thankyou!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It really isnt possible :eek:
    The only advice I can offer is on the document. My teacher advised 45 minutes for it, i.e. 5 more than on each essay. My advice is to fly through it, dont read them first, read them as you need to. You might trip up a little on it but you definitely do it faster that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

It's ridiculous really, I don't see why that's make the timing so hard for us? Give us 3 hours and 20 minutes even..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

Well, it is possible to get a good grade in history without finishing the paper. I knew a girl last year you got an A2 without completing the paper. Though, mind you, this girl's essays were brilliant.

What I would recommend is plan for the essays before hand. Take the section about the Nazis - a question about the Nazis is practically guaranteed. So what you can do beforehand is know what your opinions about different areas are. For example, what do you think is the factors that got the Nazis to power? Why was Hitler accepted by the German people? What was the turning-point in WW2?

Doing this means half the battle is done. To get an A in history you don't just list facts, you argue your point, similar to english. If you know what your argument is going to be then you won't be spending precious exam time trying to think of an argument.

Otherwise, I'd say just keep writing. History isn't english exam where you have to impress the examiner with your ability to put a sentence together. Don't pause, just write!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

How do I write 3 essays (and a document question) in 3 hours? I honestly don't know if it's possible... I got a B3 in History in the mocks by the skin of my teeth, even though I left out a whole essay :( Anyone got any tips, like how to write fast, how to memorize stuff, how to manage the time? Stuff like that, I'm honestly shítting it for History, doesn't help that I need like 530 points either... Thankyou!
    I don't actually do History, but one of my Friends does and she got 93% in the Mock. I'll ask her Tuesday about timing if you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I don't actually do History, but one of my Friends does and she got 93% in the Mock. I'll ask her Tuesday about timing if you want?

Yeah, that'd be sweet! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

if you plan out the essay you will know what you are going to write and it flies off the pen. if you really know your history you will be able to do it in the time, iv done full essays in under 30 minutes. bottom line you need to know the stuff reallly welll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

if you plan out the essay you will know what you are going to write and it flies off the pen. if you really know your history you will be able to do it in the time, iv done full essays in under 30 minutes. bottom line you need to know the stuff reallly welll

Depends how fast a writer you are too tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

0mega wrote: »
    Depends how fast a writer you are too tbh.

Practise practise practise. it really is a prick of an exam, they're how well you can write an essay, not your historical knowledge

Advertisement